What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Post Your Pets

Soultribunal

Staff member
Ok, so out of curiosity, what's the differences you've noticed so far? :unsure:

#1) Their Nose is Boss. It needs to sniff EVERYTHING IN EXISTANCE AT ALL TIMES NO MATTER IF ITS 2AM AND DADDY JUST WANTS TO SLEEP....in the backyard.

#2) Energy. I have a Whippet Mix and She is Faster than a tornado, and has energy for days, yet that is dwarfed in comparison by this little one. I'm learning how to redirect it, we got some special 'work feeders' that help stimulate her brain and tire her out better (because, puppies need on average 20 hours of sleep to be healthy).

#3) Sounds. So, I had a Malamute, and a Husky, but that still did not prepare me for a Beagle 'Baying'. It is a Ear Piercing, Glass Breaking Call when she is nervous, scared or unsure. I'll see if I can clip a video and post it. So far she only does it when in the car because she is getting used to being in a car.

#4) 100% Cuddles when I rest. No Exceptions (and I'm totally okay with this). So, my other dogs, have cuddled, but also like their own space when they are resting, so we have Dog Beds and Blanket Mounds on every Couch, and floor in our house including the basement.
(Doing Laundry sucks, BTW lol). With Cali, she needs to be touching you at all times everytime. If its rest time for her, she is tucked into you no matter what and will follow you incessently as you shift your body.
She got up from a sound sleep, to then lay on my feet while I was doing dishes. Was really cute.

**Edit**

#5) Because of #1, they are always LOW to the ground with their bodies when they are on a scent. Which means in the spring time my poor puppy looks like she was at a Monster Truck Rally everytime we go outside. The only positive to that, is Beagles LOVE water, so cleaning her is very easy.

That is so far what I've learned that is different from all my previous dogs (I've had many of all breeds, never a Beagle).

-ST

Last edited:

Lysrin

#1) Their Nose is Boss. It needs to sniff EVERYTHING IN EXISTANCE AT ALL TIMES NO MATTER IF ITS 2AM AND DADDY JUST WANTS TO SLEEP....in the backyard.

#2) Energy. I have a Whippet Mix and She is Faster than a tornado, and has energy for days, yet that is dwarfed in comparison by this little one. I'm learning how to redirect it, we got some special 'work feeders' that help stimulate her brain and tire her out better (because, puppies need on average 20 hours of sleep to be healthy).

#3) Sounds. So, I had a Malamute, and a Husky, but that still did not prepare me for a Beagle 'Baying'. It is a Ear Piercing, Glass Breaking Call when she is nervous, scared or unsure. I'll see if I can clip a video and post it. So far she only does it when in the car because she is getting used to being in a car.

#4) 100% Cuddles when I rest. No Exceptions (and I'm totally okay with this). So, my other dogs, have cuddled, but also like their own space when they are resting, so we have Dog Beds and Blanket Mounds on every Couch, and floor in our house including the basement.
(Doing Laundry sucks, BTW lol). With Cali, she needs to be touching you at all times everytime. If its rest time for her, she is tucked into you no matter what and will follow you incessently as you shift your body.
She got up from a sound sleep, to then lay on my feet while I was doing dishes. Was really cute.

**Edit**

#5) Because of #1, they are always LOW to the ground with their bodies when they are on a scent. Which means in the spring time my poor puppy looks like she was at a Monster Truck Rally everytime we go outside. The only positive to that, is Beagles LOVE water, so cleaning her is very easy.

That is so far what I've learned that is different from all my previous dogs (I've had many of all breeds, never a Beagle).

-ST
We have a relatively new Beagle living across the street from us. Related to your #3, we never have ANY trouble knowing that it's out in its yard :)

The owners had a Beagle mix with something before, but by the time we knew it, it was old and a bit blind and deaf. When they bought the new Beagle pup and we chatted even they were a little overwhelmed with the energy level and vocalizations of this new guy. Everyone is getting more settle now though.

I wouldn't have the lifestyle to support one, or any very high energy dog, at this point, but I sure do like seeing him from time-to-time!

Izerous

Folding Team

-ST
2: I have 2 loops i try to regularly take the dogs on... the small loop is ~2.1km and the bigger loop is ~3.2km... Honestly 2km isn't enough to tire out either dog out (part of that is off leash so while i'm walking ~2.1-3.2km they are running back and forth etc).

5: even with both my dogs being larger in comparison... my white tile in the kitchen is impossible to keep clean right now.

Soultribunal

Staff member
2: I have 2 loops i try to regularly take the dogs on... the small loop is ~2.1km and the bigger loop is ~3.2km... Honestly 2km isn't enough to tire out either dog out (part of that is off leash so while i'm walking ~2.1-3.2km they are running back and forth etc).

5: even with both my dogs being larger in comparison... my white tile in the kitchen is impossible to keep clean right now.

What the professional trainer told us when she was by (She is very reknowned in Southern Ontario) , is that Beagles is not all about exercise. They need a lot of mental stimulation. That is why I have speciality feeders (so she has to WORK to eat) and all these novel things for little treats and stuff since they are food oriented. She spent 20min digging a small little 1 calorie treat out of a massive snuffle ball. And then snoozed for like 45min aftewards.

But yeah, running them is good too, but I won't run her free of a leash for at least a year. Beagles are highly loyal, but #1 of my list trumps every bit of training you can put into them.
The nose is boss.

We have a relatively new Beagle living across the street from us. Related to your #3, we never have ANY trouble knowing that it's out in its yard :)

The owners had a Beagle mix with something before, but by the time we knew it, it was old and a bit blind and deaf. When they bought the new Beagle pup and we chatted even they were a little overwhelmed with the energy level and vocalizations of this new guy. Everyone is getting more settle now though.

I wouldn't have the lifestyle to support one, or any very high energy dog, at this point, but I sure do like seeing him from time-to-time!

Its a lot of work, I'm by no means young, however I really needed this energy level in my life again. I have no issues getting more active than I already am and spending most of my evenings on the floor either cuddling with her, or playing.

I have no kids, she is my child. So I can devote all my spare time if needed.

-ST

Gman109

I've always wanted a Beagle since Capt Archer had one during the Star Trek:Enterprise run. My father has a Jack Russell, and it's cool as well, too smart for its own good though, loves nipping my Shepherd's tail and then the chase is on, there's a spot under the deck that only he can fit in that he races into when he gets in trouble. JR is a bit to hyper a breed for me.

I could see us having a Beagle in a few years later on. Very cute dog Soultribunal.

Latest posts