What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ripping CD into FLAC?

sswilson

Staff member
You would know better than I would but sounds about right so WAVE may be what you want to use

Heh.... only if you want to limit yourself to storing a single album on your HDD before you run out of room.... :)

.wav is the basic audio file that all others are based on. When I was ripping LPs I'd record each side into a single wav file and then split those off into individual tracks (using audacity) and then convert them into FLAC to reduce the size of the tracks.

I'm not sure if you can record an analog audio source directly into something like FLAC without getting degraded quality. Writing/recording a .wav file can be done on the fly, while creating a flac file requires processing that probably can't be done live.

gingerbee

well I guess things have changed cause it says it uses about 600MB per CD so I think you'll be fine on room

Well I don't know for sure but all the CD I ripped into FLAC all sounded just fine to me but again I am pretty sure you would know more about it then I would ripped music was never something a did a lot of and the only audio I try to get good 5.1 is for 1080p/2160p movies so I can have that sweet surround sound when I want it lol

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, FLAC is lossless so in theory there should be no difference between it and the original CD. The reason we use FLAC is that it compresses the file size (over the original from the CD) while not losing any audio quality (like an MP3).

djbrad

I second Prickly007, I did my entire cd collection with EAC, it works well.
You can search for image covers and album / songs infos from a few online services.

crazyea

EAC is the correct answer. But I have also used Foobard2000 in the past. You can also use itunes lossless ALAC. Most of my music is in AAC these days anyway. Well, when I'm not using spotify that is.

FreeKnight

Are you saying media player allowed you to rip to FLAC? I vaguely remember MS announcing that they were going to support FLAC playback, but didn't realise they extended that to ripping as well.

Do you remember if it had the FLAC files installed or if you had to go out and get the installer/codex? (IIRC Foobar2000 didn't have it natively installed, but instead had a link to where you could get it).

I liked Foobar, but it took a bit of finessing to get the track naming and directory structure the way I wanted it.

(And yeah.... because my music is pretty much all streaming these days, it's been a few years since I bought a CD let alone ripped one.)
Had them installed as part of the original package. IIRC it's just mp3 and AAC that require downloads.

Automatically organizes them and largely did a good job of populating metadata. You can change the organization order as well.

I don't rip very often anymore, but if I had to I'd give it another try.

Latest posts