What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need an inexpensive laptop for work

JD

Staff member
This would be in your van/truck all day long? I'm not sure if the cheapest consumer laptop would last very long, it may be better to get a used ThinkPad or similar business-class machine as suggested earlier in this thread.

sswilson

Staff member
Can the track pad be disabled on that one?

I checked the bios and there wasn't a hardware toggle in there for that. It's possible that there's a FN+Fkey combination that hardware locks it (some dell laptops had that in the past) but you'd have to dig deep to find it. Super easy to disable it in windows 11 though, there's a separate system tab for trackpad which has a simple on/off toggle at the top.

Lysrin

This is what I mean...

View attachment 40560
I hate those international keyboards. I know they are necessary for people who type... internationally, but I avoid them like the plague if at all possible.

I have seen some laptops where the trackpad could be disabled in Windows itself. Not sure if that is a thing anymore.

sswilson

Staff member
Not sure if you've taken the plunge yet, but this HP from Canada Computers looks to be a similarly spec'd business class laptop w/ an included dock for the same price....

No touch screen, but already has 16GB.

(current RFD thread)

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... just realized it's the same one in the MemX listing, only $100 cheaper and it comes with a USB C dock. :)

One of the obvious improvements over the Dell is Power over USB-C.

Latest posts