What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Legion 5 RTX 2060 core clock stuck at 300Mhz

novabat

I've been facing this annoying issue with my Legion 5 where the RTX 2060 is stuck at 300Mhz core clock even when running it at full load
When I run furMark with power connected it gives 10-15fps with gpu utilisation being 100% but core clock being stuck at 300Mhz. I'm getting abysmal performance when running games too. I don't think it's a temp issue as my GPU temp is around 50deg and hotspot being 65deg even on load which is weird.

Things I've tried:
- Re installing Nvidia drivers after removing it using DDU.
- Lenovo BIOS setting to Disable built-in battery when laptop is unplugged, then plug in battery to ensure proper power is delivered to the gpu. HWInfo shows that the gpu is using 280W of power.
- I've done a clean re install of windows.

I have no idea how to proceed because lenovo service is telling me that they cant service and can only replace the motherboard which is almost the same as buying a new laptop.

sswilson

Staff member
Have you tried setting the power profile to "best performance"? How about your power brick? Are you using a legit lenovo power brick? (Some manufacturers reduce power profiles if they detect a third party brick).

1714220209290.png

In the Nvidia control panel, under "manage 3D Settings"/"Global Settings" tab, use the dropdown that defaults to auto select (for preferred graphics processor) and set it to "high performance Nvidia Processor".

Other than that.... if there is an actual hardware issue, there isn't any option other than replacing the mainboard. The inability to replace individual components is the downside of using a gaming laptop as opposed to a desktop.

novabat

Thanks for the response!

I'm using the original lenovo brick I got with my laptop.
Tried the nvidia setting. No change :(

Guess I'll just have to get the motherboard replaced.
Pain.

novabat

Yes I've tried it to no success
There is a slight difference in the problem faced.
My gpu goes to 100% utilisation when running anything heavy but the core clock stays at 300

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Have you looked into MSI afterburner? It's possible that an overlooking profile could uncap your gpu performance.

Were you the original owner? Has it ever been tweaked in the BIOS or had any firmware flashed? I'd also suggest checking for the most recent BIOS flash available.

It might also be a driver issue. Software/drivers like the type that shifts GPU load from the integrated GPU to your discreet GPU could become corrupted, so a fresh windows install and new drivers installed after that might solve the issue too.

sswilson

Staff member
It might also be a driver issue. Software/drivers like the type that shifts GPU load from the integrated GPU to your discreet GPU could become corrupted, so a fresh windows install and new drivers installed after that might solve the issue too.

The OP did state that he'd done a fresh windows install and thus drivers, but it does bring up an interesting point.... is he using generic drivers or the specific ones from the laptop's support page? I don't think we see it all that much these days, but it's possible that the manufacturer's drivers have something proprietary cooked into them WRT discrete vs iGPU usage.

Maybe try DDU to remove the existing drivers and try installing the most recent ones from the laptop's support page?

clshades

The OP did state that he'd done a fresh windows install and thus drivers, but it does bring up an interesting point.... is he using generic drivers or the specific ones from the laptop's support page? I don't think we see it all that much these days, but it's possible that the manufacturer's drivers have something proprietary cooked into them WRT discrete vs iGPU usage.

Maybe try DDU to remove the existing drivers and try installing the most recent ones from the laptop's support page?
Was it a fresh install or an install over an existing to keep certain profiles and software.

novabat

Windows install was fresh, I formatted the drive (after taking a backup) and installed windows.
Lenovo doesn't have any specific drivers for the gpu. On the products page they just have a link for GeForce experience

novabat

I also tried boosting the core clock with afterburner but it stays stuck at 300

Latest posts