What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA’s 3D Vision Surround: A Game Changing Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Potential Issues & Fixes

Potential Issues & Fixes

When rolling out a new technology, things rarely go smoothly but NVIDIA is well known for their stable drivers on new products and 3D Vision Surround is no exception. The number of issues we had was extremely minor considering the drivers being used were early betas and will not be rolled out to the public. Supposedly, the drivers being posted today on NVIDIA.com do incorporate some fixes.

Nonetheless, I did run into a few problems throughout the limited amount of time the system was in my hands. Below, some of these are listed but please remember to read through completely before passing judgment since several in-game wrinkles came not from NVIDIA’s drivers but from the game engines themselves. Otherwise, some of these are simply the nature of the beast when using early beta drivers.

Field of View: the Bane of Surround Gamers

An incorrect FOV or Field of View is one of the most prevalent issues that pops up when playing a game with a surround setup. What happens is a general stretching of the image as seen in the picture above and to the left whereas the actual image should look like what you see on the right. Most modern games have the necessary FOV set up in their configuration files but others will end up stretching your image so much, the game becomes almost unplayable.

There are fixes for this which include everything from in-game setup options to manually editing a game’s display configuration file with a fixed FOV value. You can find an excellent calculator for correct FOV values at the Widescreen Gaming Forum.

120Hz: Great for Gaming, Horrible for Power Consumption

You may remember that when we looked at the setup process, there was an option to select the resolution and refresh rate. Unfortunately, NVIDIA’s beta drivers held a bug when it came to changing between 120Hz and 60Hz for situations where the GPU was sitting idle. Any changes to the Surround settings resulted in the drivers resetting the 2D refresh rate to 120Hz. Normally, we wouldn’t bat an eyelash at this but it goes hand in hand with extremely high idle power consumption. NVIDIA is aware of this and say it should be fixed relatively soon but here are our results nonetheless:

NV-SURROUND-36.jpg

General Game Incompatibilities

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e764Hntlq8g&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e764Hntlq8g&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>​

3D Vision Surround and NVIDIA Surround are supported in most modern games but there are still some lingering issues with certain titles. Most are innocuous like Surround failing to engage during Heavy Metal mission in BattleField: Bad Company 2, the inability to select 4xAA in HawX and some disappearing foliage in Just Cause 2 with 3D Vision enabled.

However, we experienced serious menu screen flickering in Empire: Total War (which could be eliminated by selecting a new resolution and then re-selecting the bezel-corrected one) and frequent crashes in HawX DX10.1. We’re hoping many of these will be fixed once the WHQL driver is released in July but unless NVIDIA can work a miracle, it will be impossible to fix everything in one shot.

Bezel Correction Gone Awry

I’ll put this bluntly: NVIDIA’s “paved road” bezel correction image is far from easy to set up correctly. In order to properly set up bezel correction both angled AND straight lines are needed in order to match up images. Instead, NVIDIA uses an angled picture that never, ever properly lines up from one monitor to the next. In my VERY limited time with an Eyefinity setup, I was able to get the correction set without any issues but it took several tries with NVIDIA’s method. The frustration just mounted when the drivers kept on resetting the alignment images to their original positions even though Bezel Correction was enabled. If anything, I’m hoping this is one of the first items on the “to fix” list.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Initial Impressions

Initial Impressions

Having only used NVIDIA’s Surround and 3D Vision Surround for less than five days, there is simply no way I can hop on my soapbox and proclaim anything resembling a final conclusion. For what it’s worth, in the past 5 days I have gone from questioning the point of multi monitor gaming to looking at it in a new light. Part of the reason behind this about face is a realization that even though surround gaming has been around for years, it seems the newest generation of solutions is striving to do it right.

When we look closer at the 3D aspect that NVIDIA brings to the multi monitor table, there is no doubt that you have to see it to believe it. While every game has varying degrees of compatibility with 3D Vision, using one of the rare examples that properly supports both it and Surround will simply blow your mind.

There are of course some downsides to this technology and even though some of them stem from immature drivers, others will be a lot harder to overcome. A standard Surround setup demands a high end system but actually getting playable framerates out of 3D Vision Surround at high detail settings requires a titanic amount of graphics horsepower. I’m also quite sure that current retail prices for 120Hz LCDs will cause many people to run crying into the night when faced with a $350 premium for three 3D-capable monitors over standard 24” panels. For the price, even I find it hard to justify making the jump from a typical multi monitor setup to 3D Vision Surround. There’s also the matter of the beta drivers we received feeling a bit immature but there is a silver lining here as well. If anything, NVIDIA has proven with 3D Vision’s ongoing support and driver updates that there’s a willingness for continual support of technologies even if they aren’t amazingly popular.

One of the most asked questions we have seen since 3D Vision Surround was announced is whether NVIDIA is doing nothing other than following in ATI’s footsteps. We now have our answer: they are doing exactly that and have proven it’s possible to grab a good idea by the horns and take it to the next level. With the (in)famous The Way It’s Meant to be Played program running on all cylinders Surround gaming support could finally see the renaissance many were hoping for. However, this also leads us to a word of caution: if we start seeing “NVIDIA Surround” exclusive games which won’t work on a competitor’s solutions, the tune being sung will change in a heartbeat. NVIDIA needs to develop surround gaming without monopolizing certain titles’ capabilities or they will effectively alienate the very customers they want to attract.

Will 3D Vision Surround change the way we look at games? For the lucky few that can afford three 120Hz monitors and two or more ultra high-end GPUs, I believe it will. Those of us with more modest budgets may need to look the other way for the time being since the price of entry is truly staggering. That being said, it is more than obvious that NVIDIA is building a gaming ecosystem which will surely trickle down into more affordable markets over time.

From its ease of setup to the new dimension 3D Vision brings to the surround gaming world, there is a hell of a lot to like about NVIDIA’s latest effort to hook the hearts and minds of enthusiasts. The few minor issues that popped up during testing were quite easily overlooked but there is nonetheless room for improvement on NVIDIA’s part prior to the release of the WHQL drivers in July. All in all, both 3D Vision Surround and 2D Surround have proven themselves to be more than capable of firmly planting NVIDIA’s stake in the multi monitor gaming market. They breathe new life into older games and give the developers of newer titles something to distinguish the PC gaming experience as head and shoulders above everything else out there. Personally, I think this is a great step forward for a market that had lost much of its allure.

Stay tuned for our full review and Eyefinity comparison some time shortly after NVIDIA releases WHQL drivers for their Surround technology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts