Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2010, 05:59 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default NVIDIA's 3D Vision Surround: A Game Changing Experience?

After some initial delay's NVIDIA's 3D Vision Surround is finally read for prime time. With it, they are looking to usher in a new era for multi monitor gaming by essentially following in ATI's footsteps and adding in their patented out of screen 3D effects with 3D Vision. In this article we take a closer look at NVIDIA's surround gaming technologies and put them to the test.

[ Read full article ]
Old June 29, 2010, 06:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Great article, i still dont believe much in the whole 3D craze due to all the warnings, adverse effects such as headaches or eye strains, or the fact its not recommended to consume alcohol while using 3D and i dont know about some of you, but sometimes drunken gaming or just one cold one is needed while playing.
Old June 29, 2010, 06:48 AM

I had the same issues with 3D when I first started using it. For the last year though I have done quite a bit of gaming on exclusively 3D and eye strain is next to none now. One of the best parts of NVIDIA's system is its ability to allow for user-controlled depth settings instead of using a "one size fits all" default that can't be adjusted. This in itself goes a huge towards alleviating eye strain but it does still occur. I would say it took me a good 20 hours of gaming before my eyes were adapted to even the lowest depth setting but after that, it was smooth sailing.
Old June 29, 2010, 06:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

For a guy like me, who spends an extra ordinary amount of money on hardware - buying three displays + 3d glasses + another 480 video card specifically for this technology is too expensive. That says a lot for a guy with a folding@home farm in his garage. It's not like you can slowly build the systems, you need to purchase 3x of the exact same panel.
There isn't enough compatibility, and being an early adopter of this technology can bite you in the ass (see: HD DVD)

Also, it wasn't mentioned in the article - can you use this technology on a single, LED/LCD/Plasma home theatre 120hz TV?
Even though they are far more expensive, at least you could somewhat justify the computer hardware if you can hook it up to a home theatre TV that some may already have.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 29, 2010, 07:10 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

3D is one of those recurring fad's I wish would go away again.
Old June 29, 2010, 07:13 AM

TVs are the sticky part and I have a follow-up article which details the current state of 3D across most fields. It was also mentioned in the original 3D Vision article.

Basically, 99% of the TVs out there use interpolation to produce a "false" 120Hz or 240Hz signal. This is not compatible with 3D glasses which is why you need a 3D-ready TV for actual viewing. Again, most of these "3D ready" TVs are not compatible with 3D Vision simply because every manufacturer seems to be using a different polarization angle which will directly affect the ability for active shutter glasses to function. The polarization angle is also why current glasses from different manufacturers won't work on most competitors' products. As far as I know, Sony is the only manufacturer that uses a standard 90 polarization filter which makes their TVs compatible with 3D Vision.

HOWEVER, NVIDIA has something called "3D Vision Play" which allows 3D Vision glasses to use your PC's processing power to sync your glasses to supporting TV sets: 3D Vision 3DTV PC

When we talk about Plasma, DLP and technologies other than LCD, compatibility is borader but totally dependent on the TV having a VESA Stereo connector which not many have. This once again allows for syncronization between the PC and your TV without worrying about LCD refresh rates.

For the record: I hate 3D in a Consumer Electronics environment. For gaming, it works very well in quite a few games.
Old June 29, 2010, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

While it may be great to some, for me being that I wear glasses this '3D' craze with the glasses does not interest me in the least. When a tech comes out that doesn't require any hardware between you and the screen maybe then I'll hop on.
Old June 29, 2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
3D is one of those recurring fad's I wish would go away again.
Remember: this is not only about 3D but also NVIDIA's jumping onto the 2D surround bandwagon. This provides a MUCH more affordable solution than 3D Vision Surround.
Old June 29, 2010, 07:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I can;t wait for your comparison of eyefinity vs 3d vision.
Old June 29, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

this article got me interested in it but I will wait till it is much more affordable and less buggy. I don't want to have to spend 1/3 an hour on each game adjusting settings and/or editing files to work how it should. Plus I love the strategy genre so this doesn't look too appealing to me. I think I will stick with my 30" monitor for a few more years.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."