Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2019, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Meshify C custom loop considerations

So, an initially straightforward question here about cleaning out my AIO has resulted in me dreaming about creating my first custom loop... again

I'd really like to use a Meshify C for the build. I realize it is tight, but I like the case and I would like to go to a smaller ATX case, particularly length but height too, than my 650D so I can get the finished product up on my desk rather than down on the floor where I can't see it.

Although I am not looking to do anything this impressive for my first attempt, I found this for inspiration https://pcpartpicker.com/b/JrRJ7P

Although that linked build, and his earlier 1080Ti version that is more similar to what I'd like, fit in the Meshify C, the difference is founders GPUs vs my ASUS 1080Ti Strix, considerably longer than founders that is 267mm.

Considerations:

- The Meshify C specs state for GPU length limit "Max 315mm with front fan mounted", no mention of rad thickness but that would reduce it more. The 1080Ti Strix is 298mm so that rules out front rad mounting with my GPU. Anything I am missing there? Not sure if the Strix gets any smaller with the shroud removed but it doesn't look like it.

- If that is true, then my options would be a 240 rad up top, and then perhaps a 120 at the rear for the GPU. Most hybrid GPUs use a 120 rad in that location, so I am thinking that would work fine, but wondered about your opinions.

As always, thanks for your assistance spending my money!
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro

Last edited by Lysrin; January 8, 2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old January 8, 2019, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I should say also that I am not immune to the recommendation "don't use the Meshify C for this".

I'm just not having much luck finding smaller cases that allow what I want. The physical size of the Strix is what it is. The Define S or S2 are recommended for custom loops, and they have a lot of pluses, just not sure they get me the case size I'm hoping for.
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old January 8, 2019, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

what are the dimensions you're gunning for Lysrin?
Old January 8, 2019, 01:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you bought a thin 360 radiator, you could hopefully fit 2 normal size fans in the top and bottom and then a slim 120mm fan in the middle where your GPU would be? The radiator would be up against the case and the fans on the inside. Or maybe go with a thick radiator and 2 fans without anything in the middle.

The 240/120 combo would work too, but obviously means more tubing and it'll start to cramp up the interior quite a bit.
Old January 8, 2019, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
what are the dimensions you're gunning for Lysrin?
Meshify C dimensions ;) Not to be cheeky, I'll measure my space at home and give a better answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
If you bought a thin 360 radiator, you could hopefully fit 2 normal size fans in the top and bottom and then a slim 120mm fan in the middle where your GPU would be? The radiator would be up against the case and the fans on the inside. Or maybe go with a thick radiator and 2 fans without anything in the middle.

The 240/120 combo would work too, but obviously means more tubing and it'll start to cramp up the interior quite a bit.
I'll have to do some more exact measurements of everything, your suggested rads and fans, the card, etc to figure out exactly what spaces I have.

Are you suggesting just the single 360 rad in the front JD, no 240 up top at all?
Old January 8, 2019, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The only thing Id suggest is ensure your getting adequate Rad space for a 8700 (assuming your going to OC it) and a 1080Ti (assuming thats OC'd) ....the larger the case the easier it is to build with Custom Loops.....can you fit 2 x 240 Rads in that case ? .....2 x 240 or a 360 and a 120 would be my minimum given the work going into building.....try googling a single 360 cooling 8700K and 1080Ti.....seems to me it maybe a little "light" on Rad space but not sure....

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691

Old January 8, 2019, 05:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
I'll have to do some more exact measurements of everything, your suggested rads and fans, the card, etc to figure out exactly what spaces I have.

Are you suggesting just the single 360 rad in the front JD, no 240 up top at all?
Measure the actual PCB on your card too, from the pics I'm looking at, it looks like the fan shroud does hang over a fair amount. Might be enough to allow you to fit a thin 360 (~30mm) and normal (25mm) fans, basically, is the PCB 15mm shorter than the fan shroud?

And yes, just the single 360 rad would be fine I think. Depends what your goals are though and what you're reusing from your AIO. I'm just going by that one you linked, to me that's a really tight build and very little margin for error in a lot of places. And if you aren't using hard tubing (which in itself needs some pretty accurate bends to pull this off), you might end up with a bunch of tubes entangled together

I would say start simple for your first build and go from there. If you're like me, you'll hook up some tubes and then realize it doesn't look good or you want to do it some other way and rip it out and start over...

One other item to note, you can never swap out or upgrade your RAM without tearing apart your whole computer. I don't think you can even squeeze in another PCIe card either. Looks like you might be able to wiggle out the M.2 SSD though!

I try to keep everything as accessible as possible in my builds, so I've always stuck to thinner tubing. If you're doing flexible tubing, it's not as bad though since you can usually push it out of the way if needed. I've even gone as far as having the GPU unplugged from the motherboard but the block and tubes still attached
Old January 8, 2019, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That link you posted Lyserin is a gorgeous build...unfortunately my big clumsy mitts wouldnt attempt it ;) ...When I planned the loop I picked the case...figured out where I would put the rads..then looked at my Rez / Pump...where I would mount it......at that point just a matter of routing...keeping the routing as "direct" a route as possible ....keeping tube runs as short as possible and trying not to "cross" the tubing......

....originally I wanted to build in my older Silverstone TJ09...but simply not the room....my 900D sits down on the floor on a platform I built with wheels ....its BIG !!!

JD
Isnt the Coolermaster Cosmos a bit smaller than the 900D BUT still has lots of room ....I know I was considering that Case when I was looking the 900D....

Lysrin....Thanks ..now you have ME looking at new Cases hahahah...my 900D doesnt have USB 3.1 Type C port !!!

Anyhow..sure like the looks of the new Cosmo Case...and the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ....Full Towers and even the 1000D ...gorgeous...
https://graphicscardhub.com/best-water-cooling-case/

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691

Last edited by rjbarker; January 8, 2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old January 8, 2019, 08:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah my Cosmos 2 is huge and as such I can still wiggle things in around the hard tubes ;)

I had ran my 1080 Ti on air for a while below my 980 Ti until I got around to changing the loop.
Old January 8, 2019, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sorry about that rj!

So, lots of stuff to comment on here. Let's refer to the Meshify C as MC... I'm getting tired of writing it.

About the build I linked from PCPartPicker: No... I am absolutely not attempting that! I just thought it was an impressive example of what someone accomplished in the MC. Good point though JD about how the hard tubing and available space is different from what I'll end up with using soft tubing.

Case size: The attraction for me for the MC is actually the short length, which I realize is a limitation. Also reduced height compared to the 650D is also what I want but all the cases I am considering have that. My desk is 31.5" (80mm) deep, so I have space to work with. However the MC would fit nicely, front lining up just a little ahead of where my monitor is. Also the MC is short enough that I could put it at the back of the desk with the side panel facing me; nice for viewing if I actually produce anything worth looking at!

However, I do worry that I am limiting myself too much, so have been looking at the Define S2 and R6. Both are better suited to water cooling, but of course not as compact. And the price does jump for those. The $99 CAD of the MC right now seems good to me.

Strix 1080Ti size: The PCB is smaller than the shroud for sure. It looks about 10-15mm, certainly no more. I did find this video that uses front rad, MC, and a Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme. The Zotac card is speced at 325mm, and as I said my Strix is 298mm, so that is encouraging. Those are shroud lengths, so it is possible that the Zotac has a shorter PCB, but it doesn't look it from video and pics. The build in that video certainly looks reasonable for the MC.

How much overclocking am I looking for: For the 8700K, sure 5GHz would be nice, but I'd be happy with 4.5-4.8. Not really looking to overclock the GPU beyond its factory overclock. That would be a nice-to-have but that attraction for water cooling it is making it quieter, not faster.

Reuse from my existing AIO: In the end, not sure I will have any reuse if I go with a custom loop. If I did try to use it and just add the GPU to it I could have issues with the way the res and pump are attached to the rad if I tried to place it anywhere other than top. And I would have to get an additional rad in there somewhere of some size. It would also depend on what water cooling gear I have access to buy from you folks once I figure all this out!

I think that touches all the points. Thanks for your input on this stuff, again!