Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old December 6, 2018, 07:45 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 6,175

My System Specs

Default Which Inlet / Outlet Ports on Darkside D5 BARREL 220 Reservoir

Hi Guys...just got this Dark Side Barrel 220 Pump / Combo Res...from Daz...no instrucrtion sheet to indicate which ports can be used for inlet / outlet....I want to use the 2 ports on the bottom...one in and one out.....but not sure which is which.....
Any ideas or experience or info please......


there are 2 ports lower and 1 port on top (also a fill port up top)...

https://www.dazmode.com/store/shop/w...l-medium-rev2/
__________________

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old December 6, 2018, 08:15 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 8,301

My System Specs

Default

Hmm if you look through them with a flashlight, you should be able to tell? The one that's dark and doesn't shine up into the reservoir would likely be the pump outlet.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old December 6, 2018, 08:20 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 17,566

My System Specs

Default

It looks like there are extending tubes from at least one of the top tubes? Are those interchangeable?

Pretty sure the res's I've used have had a tube on the inlet/return which I assume is designed to direct the turbulent return fluid flow away from the output to the pump.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Hmm if you look through them with a flashlight, you should be able to tell? The one that's dark and doesn't shine up into the reservoir would likely be the pump outlet.
Or you could just go with JD's advice..... ;) (My experience has been the same when it came to bay reservoirs)
__________________
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WiFi AC) / i7 8700K / 2X 8G XPG Spectrix D40 (3000) / XFX XTR 750 / ASUS Strix GTX 1070ti
AZZA Titan 240 / Custom WC / Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD / Intel 760p 512GB NVMe / Seagate Barracuda 1TB / ASUS SWIFT PG279Q

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old December 6, 2018, 08:55 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 6,175

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Hmm if you look through them with a flashlight, you should be able to tell? The one that's dark and doesn't shine up into the reservoir would likely be the pump outlet.

I'll have a quick look...surprised Daz doesnt include a simple instruction sheet...I hope I dont have to use the top port for inlet...buggers up the routing of my loop ;)


EDIT: So yes...when the Rez / Pump is held vertical (in the mounting position)...the lower port to the left cant see any light in the Rez when I shine my pen light in there (can see its just black acetol)....the port to the right I can see light shining into the centre of the Rez.....so can assume left side outlet port and right side inlet port...?......I'll throw a plug in the top port.


im coming from an XSPC Photon Rez / Pump combo and it was clearly marked in an instruction sheet which was in and which out.....
__________________

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.

Last edited by rjbarker; December 6, 2018 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old December 6, 2018, 10:38 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 8,301

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
EDIT: So yes...when the Rez / Pump is held vertical (in the mounting position)...the lower port to the left cant see any light in the Rez when I shine my pen light in there (can see its just black acetol)....the port to the right I can see light shining into the centre of the Rez.....so can assume left side outlet port and right side inlet port...?......I'll throw a plug in the top port.
I would say that's the correct assumption ;)

I think it's probably not a recommended configuration though since the pump will be drawing back in the water almost right away, likely causing some vortex action depending on your pump speed. Could introduce noise & air depending how it's setup.

Probably supposed to use it how it came with the plugs installed/pictured - left side outlet and top w/ tube as inlet. 2nd top plug would be for filling and right side plug would be for draining.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2018, 01:12 AM
dustin1706's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 709

My System Specs

Default

Daz makes some good stuff, but he quite often doesn't list instruction manuals or full dimensions on the Dazmode or Darkside websites. Since you've got one on hand, would you mind telling me what the overall height for the entire 220 pump/res combo is? And the largest diameter? (looks like it's the pump cover)


On most (all?) centrifugal pumps, the inlet will be in the center of the pump and the outlet will be from the edges of the pump. If you look at the last photo of the clear pump top, you can see that the inlet "T's" into the central inlet for the reservoir.

https://www.dazmode.com/store/shop/w...l-medium-rev2/
__________________
MSI GT72 6QE-033US - 6700HQ, GTX980M, 1080p G-Sync IPS, 16GB DDR4, 1TB Evo 850 SSD, 256GB Toshiba SSD, 2TB Barracuda, BD-Rom/DVD-RW
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2018, 10:44 AM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 6,175

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
Daz makes some good stuff, but he quite often doesn't list instruction manuals or full dimensions on the Dazmode or Darkside websites. Since you've got one on hand, would you mind telling me what the overall height for the entire 220 pump/res combo is? And the largest diameter? (looks like it's the pump cover)


On most (all?) centrifugal pumps, the inlet will be in the center of the pump and the outlet will be from the edges of the pump. If you look at the last photo of the clear pump top, you can see that the inlet "T's" into the central inlet for the reservoir.

https://www.dazmode.com/store/shop/w...l-medium-rev2/

From the top of the Rez to the bottom of the pump 8.5" and to the bottom of the upper pump piece 6.5".....yes like my older Photon (top port could be used as either filling and/or inlet and had 3 ports at the bottom ...1 for outlet and could use either of 2 for inlet).....I dont want to use the top Port as an inlet....doesnt work with my present loop routing..(I could but would rather not)....
__________________

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2018, 01:21 PM
dustin1706's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 709

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
From the top of the Rez to the bottom of the pump 8.5" and to the bottom of the upper pump piece 6.5".....yes like my older Photon (top port could be used as either filling and/or inlet and had 3 ports at the bottom ...1 for outlet and could use either of 2 for inlet).....I dont want to use the top Port as an inlet....doesnt work with my present loop routing..(I could but would rather not)....
Thanks for the dimensions!

Yeah, I just meant that you can see from that pic of the clear pump top which one is the horizontal inlet port as it ties directly into the vertical one.
__________________
MSI GT72 6QE-033US - 6700HQ, GTX980M, 1080p G-Sync IPS, 16GB DDR4, 1TB Evo 850 SSD, 256GB Toshiba SSD, 2TB Barracuda, BD-Rom/DVD-RW
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old December 8, 2018, 04:49 AM
KaptCrunch's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,853
Default

picture worth a 1000 words

pic say not use inlet port if rez tube installed on pump motor base (note 90 inlet is a no-no for pump inlet)

I suspect set-up will produce bubbles if D5 run at full speed (need to open inlet for max speed)

Last edited by KaptCrunch; December 8, 2018 at 05:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2018, 08:39 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 6,175

My System Specs

Default

Yes thanks Kapn Crunch.....I got the answer on Daz site as well...cheers...
__________________

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
internal Reservoir or external Reservoir 7foot9 Water Cooling 7 March 31, 2012 08:27 PM
Tee connector before pump inlet Ichigo27 Water Cooling 4 January 12, 2012 07:01 AM
[FS] spyder paintball gun + 20inch Barrel kyle_L Buy/Sell & Trade 3 June 3, 2009 04:54 PM
Crysis 3000 barrel explosion Amon Gaming 12 December 20, 2007 05:28 AM
NCIX outlet store Jim Troubleshooting 5 July 6, 2007 09:43 AM