Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2018, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default what do you think is the very best WC system?

I know custom generally trumps all...but closed loop, expandable (to add a GPU) semi-closed loop and then a custom loop.

same 8086K or 2700X as the air HSF query.
Old September 20, 2018, 10:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've been very pleased with my H240-X from Swiftech. It is expandable so you can add a GPU to it if you wanted to, basically turning it into a custom loop at that point. Its included pump can accommodate expansion.

Swiftech had one newer model line I believe than what I have and then they have been pretty quiet in the AIO market since. Still active in the custom loop parts and pieces market though.

But it has been a quality product for me and their customer support is top-notch! I know you're talking about cooling performance but just thought I would throw that in there.
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old September 20, 2018, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

customer service/support is a very good thing to have in mind...so thank you for that!

how is WC vs. Air for being quiet? I would like my PC to be as quiet as possible, within reasonable costs. My 270R is the model with sound padding for dampening.
Old September 20, 2018, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would think it allot to do with the fans and what you are doings like all fans make noise some are noisier then others that is the 2nd reason I went wcing the first was I was just curious but then I noticed how quieter my system was I use a custom loop an my fans stay at the same speed all of the time I can hear them but that is because my place is a bach suit also it is a very quiet area here ( normally) but they are reasonably quiet and my system even though OCed and have stressed tested this thing for many hours doesnt seem to get that hot ever if I am gaming I think that my rx 480 can get up there in temps which them heats up everything else in the case to max 75c I just manually set the vidcards fan and it all cools down to around the vid cards temp.
Old September 20, 2018, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Theoretically air has the potential to be very quiet especially if you have a big heat sink, large quiet fans, and you also have no pump noise.

However, in my own small sample size experience, I can't hear my Swiftech pump at all, and my fans are 140mm Swiftech ones that are very quiet. When I am just doing things in Windows my PC is very quiet. Occasionally to point that when I have returned to the room and monitor is asleep I have wondered if it had turned off. So my AIO experience has had very pleasing acoustic results.

When I am gaming the loudest thing in my PC ends up being my 1080Ti that is still on air.

One claim about air that is legit is that you have less risk from failure. No liquid to damage components in a leak, and you still have that huge honkin' chunk of metal if fans fail. That is true, I won't try and refute that but I have never given it too much thought and I have never had a pump failure or leak... yet ;)

One small note about my recent Swiftech customer service: I was wondering if my H240-X would fit on an 8700K or 7820 (iirc) system. Within a few emails they had shipped me the required alternate socket mounts without me even asking for them first! All free of charge. I was impressed.
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old September 20, 2018, 11:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
how is WC vs. Air for being quiet? I would like my PC to be as quiet as possible, within reasonable costs. My 270R is the model with sound padding for dampening.
The bolded phrase above indicates you are not ready to take the plunge for a custom loop. Water cooling is about the exact polar opposite of "reasonable cost".
Old September 20, 2018, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
The bolded phrase above indicates you are not ready to take the plunge for a custom loop. Water cooling is about the exact polar opposite of "reasonable cost".
That is why I am running an AIO with "option" to expand. Realistically I likely never will but it is nice to have the option. For me the ROI for the performance gain over an AIO isn't worth it. Custom performance is certainly better, but I'd have to be taking it on as a hobby for its own sake before I could get into it I think.
Old September 20, 2018, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

seems the Drive X3 is the current iteration, with two models...one with dual 120mm and one with triple 120mm. not much information on them and it's a bit disappointing to see you can do a push/pull fan installation on them.

I'm checking on the EK-MLS options now...

Last edited by Mr. Friendly; September 20, 2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old September 20, 2018, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Noctua I listed on the other air thread is really silent from DB tests I saw and I can tell you from experience that a custom built loop is way better then AIO I have run both for many years.

( not that AIO are bad they just don't compete with custom WC loops and their huge rads you can run )
Old September 21, 2018, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

that's why I'm somewhat curious about the semi-custom AiO's. there's a lack of reviews on the EKWB series I mentioned earlier though, which is quite annoying. <_<