Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   how long to run system ( watercooling) testing? (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/19970-how-long-run-system-watercooling-testing.html)

Shadowmeph July 11, 2009 08:50 PM

how long to run system ( watercooling) testing?

I finally got everything setup and dug out an old PSU and jumped it for powering up the water pump, I am not to clear on how long I should leave it running to test for leaks?

Dazmode July 11, 2009 09:05 PM

First of all, you leak test with external power supply. I usually run it overnight, after checking for obvious leaks from the start....

Supergrover July 11, 2009 09:05 PM

I run 24 hours but anytime I had a leak I knew within the first few hours.

Shadowmeph July 11, 2009 09:12 PM

Thats what I thought I am glad I fixed this old laptop so I can at least still keep in touch to ask any questions.

Dazmode July 11, 2009 09:16 PM

Ops, missed that you used another PSU.... My bad. Tomorrow morning you are good, if no leaks observed.

sswilson July 11, 2009 09:34 PM

Yup, yup.... overnight is what I've used.

Did you get some paper towel to place under the barbs and under the low points of your tubing? That's the best way I can think of to get an indication of even a small leak.

MpG July 11, 2009 11:30 PM

24 hours - you owe it to the rest of the computer. Although yeah, the few times I've had a leak, I knew it within about 15 minutes. Don't let the radiator fans run, you might manage to raise the fluid temps a degree or two from the pump heat dump. Never hurts, I figure.

Shadowmeph July 12, 2009 12:12 PM

I agree on the leak with in the first fifteen minutes, I had a leak within 5 minutes because I had modded a dual bay res and drilled in a second hole for inlet because of my stinger block had two outlets and I wanted to avoid any restriction of the flow.
after I drilled and taped the hole I had messed up the firt three threads so I filled them in with some epoxy and retaped. well during the first few minutes that is where my leak was so I went and grabbed my form a gasket put it around the screws and let it dry for a little bit, screwed it back in waited for about another 2 hrs then starting the testing. no leaks so far. , I started to get a little ansi this morning because I wanted to fire up my computer but decided that I would just recheck every thing and discovered that I mixed up the inlet and outlet off of the pump, this happened because I mounted the pump side ways . I have since been doing some wire management and its hard to do all of those with no room ( my bedroom is tiny about 25' square floor space to work on) and my back being just messed .

gingerbee July 12, 2009 02:26 PM

the 24 hour leak test

Liu Kang July 12, 2009 07:25 PM

I try to leak test when I have work to do... I can sit on my laptop while the machine runs next to me, that way I can be present and keep an eye on things. So I usually test over the course of several days, about 12 hours total.

Something about sleeping while my rig *might* be taking a swim doesn't sit well with me. :shok: