Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2019, 02:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Is DLSS a scam to make up FPS?

This may be controversial, but after looking at a few reviews of DLSS I can't help but feel it is a bit of a scam. To backup my point, most headlines have so far been labelled like it's an amazing thing...30% MORE FPS, MASSIVE FPS increases, almost negates the impact of RTX!, etc, etc. That being said, it essentially is just rendering at a lower resolution and upscale...which you can manually do already on every GPU (and obviously rendering less pixels is going to make it have higher FPS). Now I do realize it also applies a form of AA, but personally I have always found higher resolution looks better than AA, and AA with the higher resolution looks better still. And you can take any GPU render at a lower resolution and have a low impact form of AA running with similar results (from what my playing around has shown). Also, reviews show IMO that the games running DLSS are much softer and lack detail that is otherwise present. So much so, that I wouldn't choose to run it.

What's your thoughts? Am I missing something? Nothing specific about the below links, but I happen to have the tabs open as I write this...there are others around the web:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...efield_V_DLSS/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Exodus/5.html
Old February 13, 2019, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm going to have to give it a try tonight. But based on the techpowerup clips with the sliders, I kinda feel like I prefer the smoothed over look. I'll have to see what it is like in-game though.

Corsair Obsidian 500D
Asus X99-E WS
i7-5820K @4.2GHZ
RTX 2070
4x4GB Corsair LPX 2666MHZ
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W GOLD
960GB ADATA SX8200 NVME
HP OMEN 32 1440p 75hz

Benq W1070 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK Vector RTX2080 FC, EK Coolstream XT 220 Rad, MCR320 Rad, EK-XTOP SPC-60 Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res
Old February 13, 2019, 03:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I turned it on in BF 5 and if you don't have a side by side comparison there is nothing noteworthy to see. The game played pretty smooth, to me, with DXR on and Rays set to high. Turning on DLSS didn't seem to change anything to my eyes at all. The game still played smooth and the image looked fine. I have a feeling that it is going to be a very personally subjective thing. I played at 1440p on a GSync enabled Acer Predator monitor, so perhaps the adaptive sync helps keep the image smooth for me?

Related, but not actual computer graphics stuff, the first time I bought and used a special DVD to set up my TV was (still is) the Video Essentials disc by Joe Kane. It steps you through the standard adjustments of brightness, contrast, colour, and tint. In one section it has you turn the Sharpness control to off. He mentions that edge sharpening produces an image that seems quite defined, but it really is more a digital enhancement that really isn't an enhancement at all. With Sharpness off the image becomes "softer", more blurry, if you will. But you just don't notice it really unless you have 2 images side by side to see. That is what I though of as I move the slider back and forth in the review. The image isn't a "blurry mess" that many people say it is. It is a softer image, yes, in some ways it almost looks like a filter over the sharper image, but that is probably a function of having the slider and an immediate comparison right there.

I don't plan on buying Metro, so I can't say what it looks like. And BF V was a throw in on the 2080 I bought, so I have a way to at least see for myself if it is worthwhile or not. At this time, my own eyes say it really doesn't matter.

For many this will be the great "gotcha" moment as they point at the image and say it is crap. For others it will be a great "gotcha" moment as they point at the frame rates and say "it just works" and the image is just fine. I don't play with a framerate counter on the screen, so I can't tell you what the frames were before and after DXR/DLSS on or off, but I can say that the game play seems fine and the image seems fine too.

I don't feel scammed either.
Dwayne's Rig - Asus Prime Z370-A : i7 8700k : Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4-3000 : Samsung - 960 EVO NVMe 500 GB Boot : Muskin 1 TB Reactor SATA : Crucial MX 500 1 TB SATA m.2 : Corsair RM650x PSU : Corsair H100i V2: Fractal Design Meshify C : EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Gaming
HTPC - MSI B360-M Gaming Plus : i3 8100 : 8 GB G Skill Ripjaws V Series: EVGA 500W 80plus : EVGA GTX 1050 SC : NMedia HTPC Case: Adata 240 GB SSD Boot
Tablet - Asus Surface clone
Wife's Rig - MSI GL72M 7RDX
Old February 13, 2019, 09:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A lot of the comparisons out there are doing resolution scaling vs DLSS to try and give you an apples to apples comparison. Initial results are showing that you get better FPS, and better 'resolution' (aka quality) by manually adjusting your scaling, and leaving DLSS off.

I'd like to give this technology more time to mature...drivers, game implementation, etc...but I know traditionally the industry hasnt given AMD that same grace. So, instead, I'm going to grab my pitchfork and torch
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old February 14, 2019, 03:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
A lot of the comparisons out there are doing resolution scaling vs DLSS to try and give you an apples to apples comparison. Initial results are showing that you get better FPS, and better 'resolution' (aka quality) by manually adjusting your scaling, and leaving DLSS off.
I hadnít seen any of those reviews. I just kind of feel like they pushed this DLSS out stickly to try and work around the FPS drop of RTX. I donít actually see any other reason for it to exist, since it is a step in the wrong direction. Normally new technologies are to get an improved picture quality or add more lifelike effects...not the opposite.
Old February 14, 2019, 08:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Is DLSS really that much different than what consoles have done for years? They've generally rendered below 1080p and up-scaled as well, it seems like this technology has just come to PC too now.

If anything, I would say DLSS might help increase PC gaming marketshare as they could buy a cheaper card and still get acceptable fidelity and performance. Generally people are pretty happy with how consoles look and play...which isn't great compared to a high-end PC.
Old February 14, 2019, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Is DLSS really that much different than what consoles have done for years? They've generally rendered below 1080p and up-scaled as well, it seems like this technology has just come to PC too now.

If anything, I would say DLSS might help increase PC gaming marketshare as they could buy a cheaper card and still get acceptable fidelity and performance. Generally people are pretty happy with how consoles look and play...which isn't great compared to a high-end PC.
True, but I believe itís only enabled for 1440 and and higher res.
Old February 14, 2019, 09:09 AM
Rookie

I do like the concept of potentially using cheaper cards to get a more playable experience but it feels like this is something they should be enabling more for laptop systems. I think doing the work on a lower resolution and upscaling as discussed should be more power efficient and help battery life etc.
Old February 14, 2019, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

So I tested it out yesterday evening. Definitely helped with framerates and I couldnt notice any diff in quality. That being said, I still end up disabling DXR. I find I get the occasional micro-stuter with DXR on and it is always at the worst times. So back to 1440p Ultra/Custom settings.

Corsair Obsidian 500D
Asus X99-E WS
i7-5820K @4.2GHZ
RTX 2070
4x4GB Corsair LPX 2666MHZ
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W GOLD
960GB ADATA SX8200 NVME
HP OMEN 32 1440p 75hz

Benq W1070 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK Vector RTX2080 FC, EK Coolstream XT 220 Rad, MCR320 Rad, EK-XTOP SPC-60 Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res
Old February 14, 2019, 07:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

oof.

Owie.

Ouch.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t.../#post-3994023
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about