Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old January 18, 2019, 09:09 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,356

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Yeah ok thanks guys......I know the "visual compatibility" check of the AMP card I listed above has a picture of the PCB with a clean n polished GPU and you can definitely see the "300A" on the chip....the other regular Z 3 Fan card isnt listed on the EK compatibility list....although Im sure it is compatible......anyhow...all good stuff...


....I wonder if they had these A vs B chips for the 1080ti Cards (in particularly Evga) as well.....curious as I have the SC Black Edition which has been fine...not highly OC'able really....anything more than +85 Mhz on the core (even with Max Power Limit and Max Voltage) it will lock up right away....I never did try OC'ing them individually...always sync'd in msi ab......


...a lot of money for sure...I remember when the Titan Cards came out at $1300 or so ......thought folks purchasing them were nuts !!!! Times are changing .......
Yeah I think I finally surrendered to the cost structure of cards when the 690 came out.
That was the last 'Halo' card I would buy, because the cost of doing so (along with a new Intel / AMD Proc, board, RAM) was insane.

Its a lot of money. I can build or buy a prebuilt system for the cost of one card.
I hope AMD starts really nipping at the heels, and in 2020 Intel joins the Party. A trio of manufacturers I think would really start bringing pricing into something a little more reasonable, maybe.

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old January 18, 2019, 09:50 PM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,013

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
You guys are nuts. Talking about 2k for a GPU.

That's a really nice ski vacation

I just cannot fathom the performance for price of this generation and justify it. Mind you that's a lot easier to say sitting on a 1080ti.

But seriously...2k? That used to be our budget for high end *computers* just a few years ago!
Hey I haven't bought anything.... yet.... the only actual upside to Nvidia's screwjob pricing is that used 1080 Ti's have really kept their resale value to other cards, I could probably sell the used one I bought from Gman for the same price I got it from him if I felt incline to buy a 2080 Ti, that at least takes some of the 'bite' out of the price of a 2080Ti

It is nuts though, discounting the high priced seahawk, you're not going to get a 2080ti for less than $1600 plus tax. Admittedly it's the best card available right now and no one 'needs' it, but for anyone gaming at 4K it's the only thing that really performs well enough. A 1080Ti is just a little shy of 4K performance, I usually game at 2560x1440 or 3440 depending if I'm at the desk or living room.

I'm a little torn as I've got a bunch of Amazon gift cards from redeeming RBC rewards, and if I sell my 1080ti I'll probably not spend an actual cent on the card (and there's nothing I need otherwise from Amazon anytime soon), but it feels so wrong to buy from Nvidia right now when they're being so awful on pricing. But if I wait until prices drop the 1080Ti's used value will go down as well.
Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old January 18, 2019, 10:00 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 6,502

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Yeah I think I finally surrendered to the cost structure of cards when the 690 came out.
That was the last 'Halo' card I would buy, because the cost of doing so (along with a new Intel / AMD Proc, board, RAM) was insane.

Its a lot of money. I can build or buy a prebuilt system for the cost of one card.
I hope AMD starts really nipping at the heels, and in 2020 Intel joins the Party. A trio of manufacturers I think would really start bringing pricing into something a little more reasonable, maybe.

-ST

No kidding.....I mean an ultimate top of the line (even Mainstream aka Z390) not HEDT (X299)....with high end SLi Cards....SSD's...NVMe...32G RAM Kits.....Power Supplies that can power a small village....and all the Water Cooling gear (not to mention the UHD Wide Screen Gsync Monitors)... is now pushing the $7k - $10K mark (me thinks)....really has evolved since the GTX 480/580 days and Sandybridge / Ive Bridge.....
....although Im all about the "green team" and Intel...(likely always will be).....I want nothing more than to see Ryzon explode onto the Market simply to keep Intel "on there toes"..........and more so.....AMD to have some sort of GPU "brilliance" in the closet (up there sleeve...the hole card) ready to jump into the GPU race once again ........right now nv needs some competition thats priced right....that will benefit all of us .........right now the "green goblins" have us right where they want us......................entertaining spending close to $2K on a GPU .........to make matters worse (in my case) there's an evil link between my OCD and SLi .....



Quote:
It is nuts though, discounting the high priced seahawk, you're not going to get a 2080ti for less than $1600 plus tax. Admittedly it's the best card available right now and no one 'needs' it, but for anyone gaming at 4K it's the only thing that really performs well enough. A 1080Ti is just a little shy of 4K performance, I usually game at 2560x1440 or 3440 depending if I'm at the desk or living room.

I'm a little torn as I've got a bunch of Amazon gift cards from redeeming RBC rewards, and if I sell my 1080ti I'll probably not spend an actual cent on the card (and there's nothing I need otherwise from Amazon anytime soon), but it feels so wrong to buy from Nvidia right now when they're being so awful on pricing. But if I wait until prices drop the 1080Ti's used value will go down as well.
I hear you.....I actually feel pretty dis-heartened with nv and there pricing scheme right now......like you said...selling a previous generation used card for around the $750 - $825 Mark .... .....used to be I would sell my previous gen cards for about 60% of the original cost....or around $375 - $450 ......


......Ive been keeping an eye on the Evga Forum and folks are buying up these 2080Ti's...allbeit at USD pricing...but still.......
__________________

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691



.

Last edited by rjbarker; January 18, 2019 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old January 21, 2019, 09:35 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 115
Default

Freekinght - I sold 3 other 1080ti for a similar price locally to yours. Their value has stayed pretty solid still.


I upgraded my systems to the 2080ti/nvlink because the primary thing I do with these systems if play and work on beta testing DCS/ED flight sims. Mostly in VR. VR doesn't support SLI/Nvlink (yet), so I need the absolute fastest single card solution out there, as maintaining 45 fps in DCS is difficult for the 1080ti even on lower graphics settings. The 2080ti is enough of a bump to make that difference. Yes, the price is ridiculous, but I've payed far more for other pursuits. I spend far more on rifles/handguns/shooting, by far, even when I was in that industry. And cars (wife ack on this)...don't get me started.



On a performance to cost ratio, on the face of it, yes it does seem ridiculous to buy 2080 series cards when you already have 1080ti, but again, for one single specific game/sim in VR, it does make a huge, huge difference in end result performance for me. I would never advise an average gamer playing various FPS/MMO/RTS/etc to spend the $ to upgrade to the RTX series unless they had $ to burn.


Even 4k - 4k IMO just isn't ready yet, regardless of what hardware you run. I have two 27" 4k 144hz Gsync, one Asus one Acer, and even with a 9900k/2080ti/nvlink combo, running most of the higher end games at max detail in 4k and going for plus 100 fps, is very, very challenging right now.

Last edited by Gman109; January 21, 2019 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old January 21, 2019, 10:17 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 6,502

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman109 View Post
Freekinght - I sold 3 other 1080ti for a similar price locally to yours. Their value has stayed pretty solid still.


I upgraded my systems to the 2080ti/nvlink because the primary thing I do with these systems if play and work on beta testing DCS/ED flight sims. Mostly in VR. VR doesn't support SLI/Nvlink (yet), so I need the absolute fastest single card solution out there, as maintaining 45 fps in DCS is difficult for the 1080ti even on lower graphics settings. The 2080ti is enough of a bump to make that difference. Yes, the price is ridiculous, but I've payed far more for other pursuits. I spend far more on rifles/handguns/shooting, by far, even when I was in that industry. And cars (wife ack on this)...don't get me started.



On a performance to cost ratio, on the face of it, yes it does seem ridiculous to buy 2080 series cards when you already have 1080ti, but again, for one single specific game/sim in VR, it does make a huge, huge difference in end result performance for me. I would never advise an average gamer playing various FPS/MMO/RTS/etc to spend the $ to upgrade to the RTX series unless they had $ to burn.


Even 4k - 4k IMO just isn't ready yet, regardless of what hardware you run. I have two 27" 4k 144hz Gsync, one Asus one Acer, and even with a 9900k/2080ti/nvlink combo, running most of the higher end games at max detail in 4k and going for plus 100 fps, is very, very challenging right now.

Make complete sense....unfortuntely sometimes we have "no sense"...just want .....
__________________

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691



.
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old January 22, 2019, 08:52 AM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,013

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman109 View Post
Freekinght - I sold 3 other 1080ti for a similar price locally to yours. Their value has stayed pretty solid still.


I upgraded my systems to the 2080ti/nvlink because the primary thing I do with these systems if play and work on beta testing DCS/ED flight sims. Mostly in VR. VR doesn't support SLI/Nvlink (yet), so I need the absolute fastest single card solution out there, as maintaining 45 fps in DCS is difficult for the 1080ti even on lower graphics settings. The 2080ti is enough of a bump to make that difference. Yes, the price is ridiculous, but I've payed far more for other pursuits. I spend far more on rifles/handguns/shooting, by far, even when I was in that industry. And cars (wife ack on this)...don't get me started.



On a performance to cost ratio, on the face of it, yes it does seem ridiculous to buy 2080 series cards when you already have 1080ti, but again, for one single specific game/sim in VR, it does make a huge, huge difference in end result performance for me. I would never advise an average gamer playing various FPS/MMO/RTS/etc to spend the $ to upgrade to the RTX series unless they had $ to burn.


Even 4k - 4k IMO just isn't ready yet, regardless of what hardware you run. I have two 27" 4k 144hz Gsync, one Asus one Acer, and even with a 9900k/2080ti/nvlink combo, running most of the higher end games at max detail in 4k and going for plus 100 fps, is very, very challenging right now.
I'm with you on pretty much everything, I just don't have to like the prices . I'll agree on the paying more for other pursuits as well. I don't have much in the way of vices so PCs and gaming are my only really expensive hobby (well a gym membership and protein probably adds up over the year).

I'll consider the cards 4k 'for now' as I'm not sure if any TVs out yet can accept a 4K >60Hz signal. The LGs are still on HDMI 2.0 until this spring's releases so they cap out at 60Hz. It almost makes me want to try and sell my B7 and upgrade to the newer model once it's released :

Last edited by FreeKnight; January 22, 2019 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old April 11, 2019, 10:06 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 186
Default

How are the 2080 tis holding up? Canada computers have the triple fan and AMP version on sale. thinking its a good time to upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old April 12, 2019, 06:42 AM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,013

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanken123 View Post
How are the 2080 tis holding up? Canada computers have the triple fan and AMP version on sale. thinking its a good time to upgrade.
After the initial batch of cards with the artifact issues, it seems there's been no more problems. I haven't noticed any problems with my 2080 Ti other than I'll have a bitch of a time fitting in the Ncase when it arrives.
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old April 12, 2019, 11:27 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 6,502

My System Specs

Default

Older Thread....Ive decided to skip this generation.......thanks for all the input though!
__________________

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691



.
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2019, 12:08 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Default

i might go with this brand with the 2070 ....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] Zotac 780 amp! aviduser Buy/Sell & Trade 2 August 1, 2016 06:34 PM
Zotac GTX 660 Ti stlouis1 Video Cards 5 July 20, 2013 12:33 PM
ZOTAC announces ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 AMP! Edition and ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 4GB Sam_Reynolds Press Releases & Tech News 0 May 8, 2012 10:21 AM
ZOTAC Announces the New ZOTAC GeForce GTX 460 AMP! Edition FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 6 August 17, 2010 08:50 PM