Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old January 8, 2019, 11:20 PM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,823

My System Specs

Default

I've generally sold my card before the next release and a combination of luck, timing, CAD value and the crypto boom has meant all the cards I've bought since getting into the hobby I sold for very close to what I paid (4890, 5870, 780, 980Ti, 1080 Ti) . It's also allowed me to do a single cycle, and having only done one WC build I haven't been paying the extra cost of blocks.

That being said, I think I'm sticking with the 1080Ti at the moment. Even if I sold my current one locally and got a great price on it, I'm looking at anywhere from an Extra 900-1000 if I want the only mainstream card that's faster. It's just not sensible, and since there's only like 1(?) RTX game out now that even has it enabled, I don't feel the premium for RTX cores is worth it. It's a shame as I was ready to buy at release if costs and lined up more with the last gen (which had increased in price from the 9XX series already).
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old January 9, 2019, 01:25 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 6,358

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
I've generally sold my card before the next release and a combination of luck, timing, CAD value and the crypto boom has meant all the cards I've bought since getting into the hobby I sold for very close to what I paid (4890, 5870, 780, 980Ti, 1080 Ti) . It's also allowed me to do a single cycle, and having only done one WC build I haven't been paying the extra cost of blocks.

That being said, I think I'm sticking with the 1080Ti at the moment. Even if I sold my current one locally and got a great price on it, I'm looking at anywhere from an Extra 900-1000 if I want the only mainstream card that's faster. It's just not sensible, and since there's only like 1(?) RTX game out now that even has it enabled, I don't feel the premium for RTX cores is worth it. It's a shame as I was ready to buy at release if costs and lined up more with the last gen (which had increased in price from the 9XX series already).

Wouldnt be surprised if many of us Enthusiast GPU folk are all going to skip this Generation....particularly those that already have 1080i's (especially SLi)......this "may" impact the release / pricing of the next Gen....I


Yep...got 2 x 780Ti Water Blocks and Backplates sitting in a box....wonder if I'll be able to sell them??? Kind of an "odd" part try n sell ...tried to throw them in with the guy that bought my 780Tis last year but he didnt want em...they probably wound up in a Mining set up!!
__________________

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691



.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old January 11, 2019, 07:47 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoast604 View Post
It's new but it's too close to GTX1070ti and not that far behind the RTX2070. Kind of an odd placement to me.

Ps, price wise starting approx. $470+ CAD for a mid range card sounds like PC gaming is becoming more of a luxury than an alternative.

I remember when I built my first rig with a gtx 260 back in 2010, that thing cost me somewhere in the ballpark of $200 iirc. Then again we're now living in an age where $1000+ for a smartphone is the new "norm".
__________________
"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old January 11, 2019, 09:21 AM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,765

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Wouldnt be surprised if many of us Enthusiast GPU folk are all going to skip this Generation....particularly those that already have 1080i's (especially SLi)......this "may" impact the release / pricing of the next Gen....I


Yep...got 2 x 780Ti Water Blocks and Backplates sitting in a box....wonder if I'll be able to sell them??? Kind of an "odd" part try n sell ...tried to throw them in with the guy that bought my 780Tis last year but he didnt want em...they probably wound up in a Mining set up!!

I didn't even try to sell my 780ti's, one went to my sons machine, and one went to my work machine. I mean might as well have something decent in it, you know so I can game at "lunch"
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old January 11, 2019, 02:11 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 6,358

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ124 View Post
I remember when I built my first rig with a gtx 260 back in 2010, that thing cost me somewhere in the ballpark of $200 iirc. Then again we're now living in an age where $1000+ for a smartphone is the new "norm".

I paid closer to $350 Taxes All in (but Evga had those mail in rebates back then) for an Evga GTX 260 (bought two of em SLi) from Direct Canada.....the premium Cards then were the GTX 280 which was around $500...had those ones too ...3 of em...was my first go with Tri SLi ..also purchased from Direct Canada
Wayyyyyy before that I recall the Voodoo Card around $200 and the Evga 6800GT (second best only to 6800 Ultra) in the $375 range.......thought that was a lot !!!!
__________________

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691



.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2019, 03:16 PM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunshine coast, BC
Posts: 825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I paid closer to $350 Taxes All in (but Evga had those mail in rebates back then) for an Evga GTX 260 (bought two of em SLi) from Direct Canada.....the premium Cards then were the GTX 280 which was around $500...had those ones too ...3 of em...was my first go with Tri SLi ..also purchased from Direct Canada
Wayyyyyy before that I recall the Voodoo Card around $200 and the Evga 6800GT (second best only to 6800 Ultra) in the $375 range.......thought that was a lot !!!!

Sure gpus were pricy back then but now it's out to lunch with 2080ti flagship pricing.


I generally buy what I can afford and remember getting the tail end of life GTX280 $290 with some cod game then an R9 280x $250 with amd game bundle. Because of mining I got caught up with a GTX1070 for now and tbh I think I can slide though to the next round staying at 1080p for now.
__________________
Gaming FX 8350 4.4GHZ / Tuniq Tower 120/ MSI GTX 1070 Armor / G Skill 32GB / S12D 850w/ GA 990FXA-UD3 /SSD 240GB , WD1TB FALS, 3TB Toshiba / Dell IPS 1920x1080/ Win 10 64
Daily Use FX8350 Stock GHZ/GA 970 Gaming/ Rx 580 8GB /EA750w/4x4GB ram/Win 10 64 and 24TB of hdds
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RTX 2060 Review Sagath Press Releases & Tech News 11 January 7, 2019 08:16 PM
RTX 2060 Review by Guru3D Mr. Friendly Reviews & Articles from the Web 4 January 7, 2019 12:27 PM
RTX 2060 To Be Available on January 15th Mr. Friendly Press Releases & Tech News 5 December 31, 2018 02:55 PM
RTX 2060 Is Faster Than GTX 1060 6GB Mr. Friendly Rumor Mill 1 November 23, 2018 03:55 PM
RTX 2060 benchmark leaks Mr. Friendly Rumor Mill 3 August 21, 2018 01:57 PM