Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2019, 11:36 AM
Rookie

Default ASUS P5K-VM, No signal on GPU

Got a pretty good deal from a reputable seller on Ebay for a ASUS P5K-VM motherboard, the motherboard came with a CORE2QUAD Q6600 CPU. I was planning on building a simple emulation PC to put under the TV to do simple stuff like N64 and stuff like that. I cant for the life of me get this thing to work with any GPU, I tried both a r7 240 and a my good ol gtx 560ti I still had in storage, Every time I get no signal when these GPU's are in the motherboard, But the motherboard will display just fine with the on board VGA port with no issues. I ensured I went into the bios and changed the graphics adapter to PEG/PCI mode and saved and restarted. But still no signal, not even a post screen will show up when using the GPU connected to the monitor. It will only show anything on the monitor when connected to the onboard VGA port.

What am I doing wrong? I have been trying to solve this for days, I'm about to contact the seller to get a refund on a possibly faulty motherboard. Specs are below

MOBO: ASUS P5K-VM

PSU: 500W Corsair

CPU: Q6600 core 2 quad

Ram: 6GB Ddr3 Hynix

HDD: 1x 1TB HDD

Old April 5, 2019, 12:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Dumb question: does that motherboard come with some form of onboard video you need to disable to get a GPU working?
Old April 5, 2019, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

You need to completely disable the internal graphic chip. In BIOS, look under Internal Graphics Mode Select and pick Disabled. The manual said you need to set it to disable if you are plugging a GPU into PCI-E x16.
Old April 5, 2019, 01:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
You need to completely disable the internal graphic chip. In BIOS, look under Internal Graphics Mode Select and pick Disabled. The manual said you need to set it to disable if you are plugging a GPU into PCI-E x16.
Yep already tried that, No luck, I had to pop out the CMOS battery to reset after this didnt work in order to see anything. The GPU fan spins up and everything and I can even hear the Windows 7 bootup sound but get no signal on the monitor on the GPU. No error beeps on boot or anything.
Old April 5, 2019, 01:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Another dumb question (since I ran into this recently): does your monitor have a manual toggle switch for switching between DP, HDMI, DVI, etc?
Old April 5, 2019, 01:50 PM
Rookie

Nope, it auto detects the input and switches to it, I also ruled this out by using the VGA cable on the GPU same as the motherboard onboard VGA port.
Old April 5, 2019, 03:42 PM
Top Prospect

You could try beta bios 1001, maybe it could fix that bug. Could it be that the board does not support uefi video cards?

Or the pci-e 16x slot is dead. Try the 4x open one with your video cards to see if you get something on your monitor.
Old April 5, 2019, 04:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrad View Post
You could try beta bios 1001, maybe it could fix that bug. Could it be that the board does not support uefi video cards?

Or the pci-e 16x slot is dead. Try the 4x open one with your video cards to see if you get something on your monitor.
I forgot to mention it actually already has that bios version, I checked and it seems it was already pre-flashed previously. The 1001 Beta version.