Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 25, 2019, 11:05 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 51
Default Samsung CLP-670ND printing multiple blank pages before jamming

I've had this printer (samsung CLP-670ND) for a while, and have replaced all 4 toners at some point during it's lifespan. (Edit: found purchase date - May 12 2013 from ncix)

But today I encountered a paper jam. This has happened maybe a couple times in it's lifespan, but what was odd, was that after emptying the jam it started up again, it popped 3-4 empty pages out top and then just stopped complaining of a new jam. When opening up, papers appeared to just be sitting inside the printer in a chain as if they were normally printing and just stopped. There's no actual sign of a jam.

Now, here's the kicker. It's only trying to print one page, so I can't figure out why it's loading more than one page to begin with, but typically 4.5 pages get into the tray at the top before it just stops complaining of a new jam. I've wasted at least 50 sheets of paper repeating this process after wiggling or fiddling with various parts.

The app shows all the toners carts are sitting at full or near full. When I remove computers from the equation and just print one of the built in pages (test page, menu map etc) it does the same thing. Just take paper from the bottom tray and dump them out top as fast a possible until it just decides to stop again claiming a jam.

I've also tried reseating about everything possible, including all 4 toners, the big black plastic roller-ish sheet contraption on the inside of the front flap and the paper tray. Thing is, there's only 3 methods of ingress into this machine:
- front
- paper tray
- top (doesn't do much, I can look at the fuser unit, but it's screwed in and can't be pulled out)

Has anyone seen anything like this? I can't even tell if a certain component has just died and needs replacing. It must be long out of warranty so I can't imagine any sort of support call / tech support would yield anything that wouldn't cost more than outright replacing the unit.
__________________
NCIX.com forum moderator

Last edited by DougTheSlug; January 25, 2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: added purchase date
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 25, 2019, 11:21 PM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
Posts: 632
Default

There must be a sensor of some sort that tells it when it has a page and it seems to have failed. That would explain the not printing bit, it is just trying to get a piece of paper and can't tell that it has one.


Any service manual or info available?

Last edited by Valkyrie; January 25, 2019 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2019, 11:18 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
There must be a sensor of some sort that tells it when it has a page and it seems to have failed. That would explain the not printing bit, it is just trying to get a piece of paper and can't tell that it has one.


Any service manual or info available?
A failed sensor makes more sense than an actual jam. Here I was looking for something not feeding right, but that never explained the half dozen empty pages every time.

Unfortunately the manual is fairly limited in this respect. What I'd found online last night isn't much different from what I've found on the CD this morning. (also it only works in "IE 6.0" lol wtf)
For example, the big troubleshooting table has the following (displayed as list below, but actually a 3 column table)
  • Pages print, but they are blank.
  • Some parts, such as the controller or the board, may be defective.
  • Contact a service representative.

I guess the only option is to see what samsung support can do, but I don't have confidence that the cost of support won't dwarf the cost of the printer...
__________________
NCIX.com forum moderator
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2019, 12:41 PM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,999

My System Specs

Default

Have you tried using a different type of paper and did it end up with the same result?

We had a Ricoh on a jobsite that behaved very similarly with partially recycled paper, it always spat out a few extra pages. We switched to a heavier weight paper and for whatever reason it started behaving.

You're probably right that it's a sensor or hardware issue, but it might be worth removing all the Samsung drivers from your PC, rebooting and then reinstalling and restoring everything to default on the off chance a software or setting glitch was sent to the printer. It's not the likeliest culprit, but it only costs time on the off chance it works.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2019, 03:39 PM
KaptCrunch's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 4,011
Default

wow hp took over Samsung's printer biz , CLP 670ND


SPDS Software Download


no toner = blank pages, remove toner tap it on table to loosen powder, install check run a system print out


look through menu
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2019, 10:23 PM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
Posts: 632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
There must be a sensor of some sort that tells it when it has a page and it seems to have failed. That would explain the not printing bit, it is just trying to get a piece of paper and can't tell that it has one.


Any service manual or info available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTheSlug View Post
A failed sensor makes more sense than an actual jam. Here I was looking for something not feeding right, but that never explained the half dozen empty pages every time.

Unfortunately the manual is fairly limited in this respect. What I'd found online last night isn't much different from what I've found on the CD this morning. (also it only works in "IE 6.0" lol wtf)
For example, the big troubleshooting table has the following (displayed as list below, but actually a 3 column table)
  • Pages print, but they are blank.
  • Some parts, such as the controller or the board, may be defective.
  • Contact a service representative.

I guess the only option is to see what samsung support can do, but I don't have confidence that the cost of support won't dwarf the cost of the printer...

Well before you spend any money on it try to determine the device that is detecting a sheet feed. It may just be paper dust or toner dust causing the problem. And if it is a failed part, it may still be relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. If it's the main control board that might be a different story, but still worth looking into.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 27, 2019, 09:59 AM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,283
Default

I had that printer... had same issue. Fixes I found for it were to make sure paper was not 'damp' ie super duper dry like kiln dry wood dry, were curling the right way, and the feed tray was not full.. but not empty. Decent printer (prefer the Canon ImageClass printers) but the feed mechanism is a fincky SOB. Sooo first thing I would is flip the paper over (easiest fix), and have the tray at about 50-60 percent capacity (the sweet spot) and see if it does it. If it does it... try a new unopened pkg of paper. Still doing it... try a different weight and brand of paper.
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 30, 2019, 09:39 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Have you tried using a different type of paper and did it end up with the same result?

We had a Ricoh on a jobsite that behaved very similarly with partially recycled paper, it always spat out a few extra pages. We switched to a heavier weight paper and for whatever reason it started behaving.

You're probably right that it's a sensor or hardware issue, but it might be worth removing all the Samsung drivers from your PC, rebooting and then reinstalling and restoring everything to default on the off chance a software or setting glitch was sent to the printer. It's not the likeliest culprit, but it only costs time on the off chance it works.
This can be reproduced without even involving any PCs (I just did it again for good measure). Unplug the printer from the network, power cycle to clear any print queue. After turning on, go into the first option of the menu - information -> first option - menu map -> print.
This should give me a single page printout of the menu map of the printer. One of the many test pages available via the menus. Behaviour is identical: 4 pages in the out tray and 3 at various points inside.

As for a different type of paper, that's a good idea for a cheap test option. I'll try but I'm not getting my hopes up. We have used for the entire lifetime of this printer 24lb paper which is already a notch above what you typically get, and as far as I can remember the last 1-2k pages have been Xerox "Professional Quality" "Bold (TM)" paper.
__________________
NCIX.com forum moderator
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2019, 06:37 AM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
Posts: 632
Default

I would be the last person to discount the possibility of paper problems. I've had some interesting and frustrating sessions with paper. The most interesting was due to humidity content and that was with an HP multi colour pen plotter.......many cycles ago......


Are the sheets in the feed overlapped or separated? You'd think that if the printer thinks it has a sheet it would go ahead and print the page on the first one through. If they are separated in the feed, do they seem closer together than they would in a normal paper jam?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2019, 07:49 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
I would be the last person to discount the possibility of paper problems. I've had some interesting and frustrating sessions with paper. The most interesting was due to humidity content and that was with an HP multi colour pen plotter.......many cycles ago......


Are the sheets in the feed overlapped or separated? You'd think that if the printer thinks it has a sheet it would go ahead and print the page on the first one through. If they are separated in the feed, do they seem closer together than they would in a normal paper jam?
Everything looks normal inside the printer. The pages appear typically spaced, no overlap etc. The pages are feeding as expected. I'm just under the assumption that the printer doesn't realize it's fed the page and so keeps perfectly feeding page after page until a timeout occurs and it erroneously complains of a jam.
__________________
NCIX.com forum moderator
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung Laser Printers Printing Faded Black Documents geokilla Peripherals 6 April 20, 2015 11:23 AM
Multiple Reports Confirm Samsung Leads the Mobile Pack Sam_Reynolds Press Releases & Tech News 10 May 2, 2012 04:18 AM
hwc taken forever to load pages gingerbee Off Topic 14 July 21, 2009 12:25 PM
April fools pages! CMetaphor Off Topic 16 April 2, 2009 02:53 PM
IE7 fails to load new pages when multiple tabs are open RGAR O/S's, Drivers & General Software 2 November 10, 2007 03:04 PM