Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2019, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Acer 5560 - updating bios issue - any bios/software savy people to help?

I had another thread where my laptop ended up in a boot loop. It goes to the initial post, then black screen and repeat. I believe at this stage that somehow the bios has been corrupted, since there are reports online of similar behavior with some similar vintage acer laptops.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/conten...oduct/3818?b=1

That is the product page and bios download link.

The download has a windows and a dos based bios installer, but obviously I can't manually initiate it. A google search found me that I can get the laptop into a kind of bios update functionality by holding the function+excape keys when powering the laptop on. This DOES work, since it keeps the laptop operating, and allows a usb memory stick to be detected.

That being said, I can't seem to get the laptop to actually initiate the bios update on its on by doing this (the screen stays black, and is supposed to be that way).

I have tried copying just the dos based files directly onto the stick, but with no luck.

Has anyone ever done this before? Anyone good with software/programming able to take a look at the bios that can be downloaded from acer to see if they have any idea what I need to do?

EDIT: for those that didn't see the original thread, I have tried different ram and swapped the ssd for a hdd. No change. The SSD was verified functional as well. I now have all hdd/ssd and the optical drive pulled from it while I am trying to sort this bios, just in case it affects any kind of boot sequencing.

Last edited by Bond007; January 17, 2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old January 17, 2019, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Make sure your usb is formatted fat32 first then most just want the bios files in the root of the drive.
Old January 17, 2019, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It is FAT32.

Files contained in the bios download are:
ACERACDC.exe
Efildr16 it's just a file
FLASH.bat
JE50115.bin
Pflash.exe
tsr.com not familiar with that file type, but it is listed as MS-DOS Application

I assume JE50115.bin is the bios, would you agree? Should any of the other files go on the stick as well to initiate/run in update?
Old January 17, 2019, 07:18 PM
Allstar

What is in FLASH.bat?

edit: it's a text file....

Last edited by Valkyrie; January 17, 2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old January 17, 2019, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
It is FAT32.

Files contained in the bios download are:
ACERACDC.exe
Efildr16 it's just a file
FLASH.bat
JE50115.bin
Pflash.exe
tsr.com not familiar with that file type, but it is listed as MS-DOS Application

I assume JE50115.bin is the bios, would you agree? Should any of the other files go on the stick as well to initiate/run in update?
Can you boot to a dos window if you used a USB key? If so this will be your best bet.

On a Lenovo you need to set the clr cmos switch to clear mode and then boot.
Old January 17, 2019, 09:04 PM
Top Prospect

You may need to rename the bios file to something else, as seen in this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDBLiG_xYMg

If you create a rufus freedos usb boot disk, can you use the keyboard?
Old January 18, 2019, 06:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Can you boot to a dos window if you used a USB key? If so this will be your best bet.

On a Lenovo you need to set the clr cmos switch to clear mode and then boot.
Not that I am aware. Clear cmos is on the top of the MOB under the keyboard. Haven't read anything of this when googling acer laptops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrad View Post
You may need to rename the bios file to something else, as seen in this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDBLiG_xYMg

If you create a rufus freedos usb boot disk, can you use the keyboard?
I saw the youtube videos talking about renaming the bios file. My software skill are pretty much non-existent, so even when I tried to follow the steps from the videos I couldn't find what to rename the file. If anyone if more familiar with that, I would appreciate if you could find what to rename the file for me. The link to my bios is in the original post.

Uncertain if the keyboard actually functions in this recovery mode or not, since the screen remains black. I believe it is meant as a simple usb key with bios on it and it self updates...the issue is I can't figure out the combination of which files are required and if the names need to be changed to have it work.
Old January 18, 2019, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try a FAT formatted USB stick with the file named BIOS.cap in the root folder.
CASE SENSITIVE.

Found it in the FatPei and CdExpressPei modules.
Old January 18, 2019, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

tsr.com = terminate and stay resident program

Terminate but Stay Resident Program is a type of assembly program which stays resident / or occupies memory on ram so that it can be executed upon interrupt.
TSR is actually one of the best ways to ways to write viruses. The best part is that until the computer is restarted the virus can stay in the memory.
Old January 18, 2019, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Try a FAT formatted USB stick with the file named BIOS.cap in the root folder.
CASE SENSITIVE.

Found it in the FatPei and CdExpressPei modules.
I will give it a shot when I have a chance...hopefully tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
tsr.com = terminate and stay resident program

Terminate but Stay Resident Program is a type of assembly program which stays resident / or occupies memory on ram so that it can be executed upon interrupt.
TSR is actually one of the best ways to ways to write viruses. The best part is that until the computer is restarted the virus can stay in the memory.
Possible. But the problem has persisted through hard drive and ram swaps. Could it corrupt bios?