Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2019, 09:47 PM
Allstar

So I looked in the FLASH.bat file and the first thing it tries to do is put this up on your screen:

Quote:
echo Notice:
echo 1. This procedure may replace your BIOS!
echo If you don't want to do it, press Ctrl-C to cancel.
echo 2. Make sure you plug in the AC adapter before flashing BIOS.
echo If not, DO NOT flash!
echo 3. This utility will check if the battery capacity is over 30%%.
echo If not, it will stop to flash the BIOS.

The next thing it does is run tsr.com.

Next is ACERACDC.exe which checks the power situation.

If power is good, it runs Pflash.exe which loads the .bin file into your ROM.

It can take many minutes to complete, apparently noted by a beep and reboot or possibly shutdown.

Hopefully your USB stick has an activity led because it seems that is the only way you'll know it's doing something. That and supposedly the fan runs on high.

Put the all the DOS files into the root of your bootable USB stick. I am assuming the key combination of function/escape/power is just trying to boot the stick and not calling some firmware based loader but either way it needs all those files including the .bin in the root. You should not have to re-name anything in this case. Some seem to recommend using a USB 2 port instead of USB 3.

I notice you downloaded the BIOS version that includes support for Radeon HD7670M graphics so hopefully that is what you want.

Full contents of FLASH.bat

Quote:
@echo off

:DOSMode
echo *********** JE50-SB BIOS Flash Utility ***********
REM ************************************************** *************
REM *** Just modify the above part ********************************
echo Notice:
echo 1. This procedure may replace your BIOS!
echo If you don't want to do it, press Ctrl-C to cancel.
echo 2. Make sure you plug in the AC adapter before flashing BIOS.
echo If not, DO NOT flash!
echo 3. This utility will check if the battery capacity is over 30%%.
echo If not, it will stop to flash the BIOS.
pause

tsr.com

ACERACDC
if errorlevel 255 goto DosFlash
goto end

:DosFlash
Pflash.exe /bbl /cvar /silent /sv /sd JE50115.bin
goto end

:end

Last edited by Valkyrie; January 19, 2019 at 12:12 AM. Reason: corrected case of filenames
Old January 19, 2019, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
So I looked in the FLASH.bat file and the first thing it tries to do is put this up on your screen:

The next thing it does is run tsr.com.

Next is ACERACDC.exe which checks the power situation.

If power is good, it runs Pflash.exe which loads the .bin file into your ROM.

It can take many minutes to complete, apparently noted by a beep and reboot or possibly shutdown.

Hopefully your USB stick has an activity led because it seems that is the only way you'll know it's doing something. That and supposedly the fan runs on high.

Put the all the DOS files into the root of your bootable USB stick. I am assuming the key combination of function/escape/power is just trying to boot the stick and not calling some firmware based loader but either way it needs all those files including the .bin in the root. You should not have to re-name anything in this case. Some seem to recommend using a USB 2 port instead of USB 3.

I notice you downloaded the BIOS version that includes support for Radeon HD7670M graphics so hopefully that is what you want.

Full contents of FLASH.bat
Thanks for putting some effort in for me. I will give this a try as well. So far what I have seen happening is the activity light turns on, but never starts blinking with the files I have on the stick. I will try what I you have recommend.
Old January 19, 2019, 06:32 AM
Allstar

Just trying to help. The big question for me is does the key combo just try to boot the USB or does it run a firmware based loader. I see some talk on the support forum about re-naming the .bin to .fd and such, but I don't see why this would be necessary. BIOS files are binary files.
Old January 19, 2019, 06:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Just trying to help. The big question for me is does the key combo just try to boot the USB or does it run a firmware based loader. I see some talk on the support forum about re-naming the .bin to .fd and such, but I don't see why this would be necessary. BIOS files are binary files.
That is exactly the point I was trying to figure out. They talk about opening the bios with a hex program and finding what to rename the file. That is way above my head, but I did try...and failed. When I opened the .bin with the hex program I wasn't able to find what is described in videos to rename the file (.fd).
Old January 19, 2019, 07:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So far, no luck. Maybe it does need some other program. May need an ACER specific guide or something to figure this out. My google skills haven't been successful, other than finding a million ways other people have done similar things on various laptops. Something must work, otherwise why would the fn+exc+pwr do anything. I have tried everything suggested, but the activity light always goes steady, with nothing happening. I just hate to throw out a laptop that could be fixed...I am quite confident it is bios from what I have read of similar issues on acer laptops.
Old January 19, 2019, 07:15 AM
Allstar

The instance I was referring to they just copied the .bin file and changed the extension to .fd and had both available on the USB stick. There was also some talk of removing the battery and AC power for a period before attempting this for a "cold boot".

edit: How long are you waiting for signs of life?
Old January 19, 2019, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Rename the bios .bin file to BIOS.cap and put it on your FAT formatted USB. Then boot with that key combination.
Old January 19, 2019, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Waiting about 10 minutes or so, with not even a blink of the activity light

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Rename the bios .bin file to BIOS.cap and put it on your FAT formatted USB. Then boot with that key combination.
Tried it, with no luck.
Old January 19, 2019, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

UPDATE:

May have found something. I just found a service manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...page=63#manual

It contains the following (sorry, the formatting didn't carry over with the copy/paste.

BIOS Flash UtilitiesBIOS Flash memory updates are required for the following conditions:New versions of system programsNew features or optionsRestore a BIOS when it becomes corrupted.Use the Flash utility to update the system BIOS Flash ROM.NOTE:NOTE:If a Crisis Recovery Disc is not available, create one before Flash utility is used.NOTE:NOTE:Do not install memory related drivers (XMS, EMS, DPMI) when Flash is used.NOTE:NOTE:Use AC adaptor power supply when running Flash utility. If battery pack doesnot contain power to finish loading BIOS Flash, do not boot system.Perform the following to run Flash.1. Rename the BIOS file as "XXXXXXX.FD".2. Copy the "XXXXXXX.FD" file to a bootable USB device containing the Crisis Recoverydisk files.3. Turn off the computer.4. Insert the USB device containing the renamed BIOS file and the Crisis Recovery disk filesto any USB port.5. Press and hold the Fn + Esc keys (this is the BIOS recovery hotkey), then press thepower button.6. Release the Fn + Esc keys after POST.NOTE:NOTE:Flash utility has auto execution function.
Old January 19, 2019, 08:02 AM
Allstar

Just realized there is a pause in the script. It may be waiting for a key press to continue.

pause = press any key to continue.....

With no display, that would be hard to see....

Last edited by Valkyrie; January 19, 2019 at 08:10 AM.