Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2019, 03:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default GB mobo borked?

I replaced the cpu fan for a phenom II x4 965 on a GA-MA785GM-US2H and it ran fine for three days. Then I went into Bios and switched from auto to PWM on CPU Smart Fan mode under PC Health status. I surfed for a few hours and then screen froze, no mouse or keyboard. No sound or warning beforehand. Tried a power cycle and tried again at various times to test cool down, if that was the problem.

All the fans spin up, HDD(s) and card spins up, but nothing on screen.

The fan is a PWM 4p fan others have used on cpus and it has good CFM and pressure stats. It ran ok during video playback. Have not gamed on it. Stock settings. I really think changing to PWM is the culprit.

I've reseated the cpu, reseated ram, verified the card works, tried onboard video, switched out the video cable, monitor is fine, plugged in the original fan, cleared CMOS using jumper. I continue to get no Bios at all, just a black screen (plus the RGB nothing detected message). I see no difference on any caps. Cannot believe I borked the mobo somehow simply by changing to PWM and surfing for a few hours.

The PSU is 3 years old, XFX TS 650.

I have my old phenom II X2 I could pop in, w/it's stock cooler, but I think I'd be seeing bios unless this mobo is somehow completely dead. Think that would show me bios?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Mac
Old January 16, 2019, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

looks wrong bios loaded for they're Rev. 3.3 rev. 1.3 Rev. 1.1 and Rev 1.0 for model GA-MA785GM-US2H

with each Rev are different chip venders this why its stalled on booting up, the hand shake fail for BIOS didn't find correct mate

look on MB for Rev and download correct bios and zip to a flash that's bootable

use either the GIGABYTE Q-Flash or @BIOS utility. Q-Flash allows the user to quickly and easily upgrade or back up BIOS without entering the operating

read chapter 4
Old January 16, 2019, 08:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

According to Chpt 4 there's only the additional backup Bios. So you're saying to create a usb drive w/correct bios rev, insert it, and it will allow me to reload the correct bios. Worth a shot. I don't understand how the system can even recognize a flash drive if no bios but I'll suspend disbelief.

What makes no sense is how the pc would lose the working Bios mid-surfing. It obviously saved after I made the fan mode change b/c it booted and worked for 2+ hours. Hard to fathom a lockup due to heat 'lost' the bios. Again I get no bios, no Post, nada. Well I obviously can't use @BIOS. In section 4-2-1, page 68, it says I need to be in the Bios.

I've never dealt w/flashing Bios so now's the time to learn. According to step 3 I need to press a key either in Post or "in Bios setup". If I can get either from the usb stick I'll be surprised. The steps on page 69 only state 2. Select floppy (or usb) and press Enter. Sounds entirely like I need to have control by another means in order to then choose Floppy or usb.

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a whirl.
Old January 19, 2019, 02:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Got the orig bios, unzipped and booted from a flashdrive but all I get is the preliminary screen w/keystrokes like del for Bios, etc. Can't get past that. If I can, and get into Bios I'm sure I can save/flash it and be fine again.

Tried to reboot again w/the flashdrive and now just a black screen again. Wondering what else I can do.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old January 19, 2019, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does the Bord support PS 2 connection round small, PS2 keyboard will get recognized by BIOS.
Old January 19, 2019, 08:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yes. How is that helpful?
Old January 19, 2019, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

PS2 will get recognized and maybe allows you into BIOS. USB can sometimes not load in.

Edit only plug in PS2 when your shut down.
Old January 20, 2019, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Had to say something longer than just 'yes'. I've since found some who try unplugging everything but cpu and 1 stick of ram, switching on/off the PSU ten times and similar w/the system 'on' button. That seems to be a solution for getting past post. Unfortunately that's where I am again.

I have onboard video so I can do that. Not sure if all the switching on/off will be any help. Don't understand why the first time I tried the flashdrive it gave me the screen for bios, boot menu, etc. but after that it's back to nothing. I haven't found anything else from surfing. AFAICT it's simply a matter of the board not finding a bios block to get me to a bios.

I'll keep t-shooting and hope to post a solution for future ref here.

Thanks again.
Old January 20, 2019, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Don't understand why the first time I tried the flashdrive it gave me the screen for bios, boot menu, etc. but after that it's back to nothing.

hope was the correct file or flasher was interrupted and messed boot block install
Old January 21, 2019, 02:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well time to eat crow. Popped in the old phenom chip and it booted right up. Did some other t-shooting w/the 965 cpu but that's immaterial now. So I must have done something to the 965 chip. I tried booting after plugged in the orig fan while the 965 was in and got nothing.

Now my only Q is do I try to reboot (odds are good I think) or download @Bios and use it to be sure the bios is good. The GB page for the mobo states DualBios "automatically recovers bios data when main bios crashed or failed" so I'm thinking bios is probably good and 965 cpu was not.

I know CPU-Z will tell me the bios rev number. Any commands or utilities that would test the mobo bios ROMs? Think I should just try a reboot?

Thanks,

Mac

Tags
bios , fans , motherboard