Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2018, 01:51 PM
Quadfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
In gaming I don't see any sudden performance drops/loss. So to me, that's "acceptable" and what I'd expect from a gaming laptop that was before the the NVIDIA Max-Q design, running a (terrible) Kaby Lake chip, and in a 13.3" chassis. I guess we just have different expectations...

You've tried calling any of these?
1-866-287-6727
866-502-7536
866-502-7537
1-800-254-3692
What are those numbers?

Also, my games crash frequently on the laptop, and I think a sudden 95c+ peak and throttling flickering on an off - all before the fans can react - might be the cause.
Old December 23, 2018, 03:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
What are those numbers?
Numbers listed as Alienware support which is what you want, not the useless Dell support. Not sure if there's any actual AW support reps left though...

Have you tried a clean install of Windows too and use the drivers that automatically download from Windows Update? I only install NVIDIA & Killer drivers after directly from their respective sites, not from Dell.
Old December 24, 2018, 05:42 PM
Quadfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Numbers listed as Alienware support which is what you want, not the useless Dell support. Not sure if there's any actual AW support reps left though...

Have you tried a clean install of Windows too and use the drivers that automatically download from Windows Update? I only install NVIDIA & Killer drivers after directly from their respective sites, not from Dell.
I've redone all the drivers myself once, and a Dell drone followed the troubleshooting script and did it all over again. Still crashes, and obviously none of that affected the temps.

I'm gonna see if I can bribe them somewhat
"I'll buy the extended warranty if you let me redo my heatsink and thermal compound"
Think they'd go for that? :P
Old April 16, 2019, 11:44 AM
Quadfather

Hi again, anyone who cares.

So Dell finally capitulated and agreed to fix the heatsink, but only if I sent it out them (despite the fact that I had an on-site warranty). I was annoyed and had to ask a friend for help, but eventually got it shipped out sans hard drives and then got it back a week and a bit later.

BUT

The temps on the two hot cores has improved *slightly* at best. So far, when using the exact same prime95 burn in test, the same laptop cooler, etc. the temps on the two hot cores has gone down maybe 2-3 degrees each. So 92-94c instead of 95-97c or something. What should I do? Can I do anything? Technically the warranty repair was done After my one year warranty had expired. But shouldn't the work be guaranteed for a certain amount of time nonetheless? Shouldn't the temps be far better and/or shouldn't they have swapped out my 7700k for one that has "better" cores (better binning)???

I'm lost and frustrated, again. :(

Edit: the temps issue once again is that two cores are *at least* 15-17c hotter than the other two. A massive delta I've never experienced before. Ever.
Old April 19, 2019, 12:58 PM
Quadfather

Right... Thanks all. Bye.
Old April 19, 2019, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds frustrating. It must be a either a poorly binned cpu or bad heatsinks design. I would undervolt as much as possible. Made massive improvements with my 8750h.
Old April 19, 2019, 03:03 PM
Allstar

At this point it seems that Dell is not going to replace your chip. The best solution for you is to de-lid and fix the die to IHS thermal contact. If you can't do it yourself, there must be someone in your area that can.

Undervolting will help the peak temps but won't do much for the delta between cores.
Old April 19, 2019, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
At this point it seems that Dell is not going to replace your chip. The best solution for you is to de-lid and fix the die to IHS thermal contact. If you can't do it yourself, there must be someone in your area that can.

Undervolting will help the peak temps but won't do much for the delta between cores.
Agree, but getting away from those crazy peak temps is a must.
Old April 19, 2019, 05:29 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Agree, but getting away from those crazy peak temps is a must.

.....Was kinda taking that part for granted.....
Old April 19, 2019, 07:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
The best solution for you is to de-lid and fix the die to IHS thermal contact.
I'm pretty sure when I had my AW 13 R3 apart the dies were exposed. I'm inclined to say most laptop chips don't have IHS's on them since they're soldered to the board anyhow and generally aren't user-serviceable like a desktop.

Mine's stable, but I still have the same ~20C delta. I don't really care as long as everything works. I bought this "gaming laptop" under the premise of it running hot & loud. I undervolted it now and it rarely throttles anymore, but still peaks at 95C.

...and just to be clear, we're talking about the 7700HQ right? If your 13 R3 has a 7700k in it...well...there's your problem since it's double the TDP.