Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2018, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

Default Asus Warranty Experience (insert sad face here)

I built a 9900k system back on Nov 9 or so, I'd purchased the 9900k cpu and Z390 Asus Max XI MB on Nov 2 from Newegg. I've always bought from MemEx, but they couldn't get the 9900k cpu in stock, Newegg had several I could purchase, which I did, and I just grabbed one MB so I could get it in the same shipment and get to work right away, planning to by the rest of the components for systems 2 and 3 from my loyal MemEx.

The MB acted weird from the start, 3 of the SATA sockets would cause the system to not boot if something was plugged into them, but if you didn't use them, it would work (and no, it wasn't the deactivated sata sockets from the m.2 drives). Decided to just use 2 of the working Sata ports for my SSD drive and ignore this issue, as it wasn't a big deal to me. Other than this, the system ran great @5.0, a fairly mild and common overclock, for 3 days or so, until 4am on Nov 12 when I was happily writing away in Word, when the system went blue screen and wouldn't post. Tried the entire list of trouble shooting things out there except putting in a new CPU (didn't want to risk my other 2 9900k and I'd sold the 8700ks already, and only had a 6850k left in the house here in SK), and it wouldn't post no matter what. Decided to take it to the local tech to check it out as he had some CPUs I could put in this MB and test to ensure it was the culprit before doing any RMAs- needed to be sure the MB was indeed the culprit of course.

Verified it was the MB, it wouldn't post with 86/8700k cpus either. Unfortunately the tech's son/helper started to put the protective cover the pins/socket in incorrectly and I caught him before he could attempt to clamp the clamp down on top of it (duhhhhh). A few pins had a very, very slight bend which was easily corrected. You can't even tell looking at it. Should have ran with that and kept my mouth shut....

Called Asus. Decided to be honest about the pins just in case they put them under a microscope or something and saw something (you can't with the naked eye, at all). BOOM. Warrantyyyyyyyy VOIDED. Just like that. I told Asus I realize the pins were my responsibility, but that they never would have BEEN bent had their board not failed. I said I'd pay to have the socket replaced, but Asus should be (and is IMO) responsible whatever else on this board failed to cause it to blue screen and not post, as well as the sata ports which didn't work (I did complain to newegg about this prior to the MB dying, so that's on record). They wouldn't have that. Told me the MINIMUM charge to look at and fix the board would start at $202. USD. Plus I pay to ship it to them. Which...drum rolll, equals the retail CAD price of the board, and that's their "starting" price.

I read them off the 6 serial numbers for the 3 165hz, 1 144hz 4k(just bought another as well, so I have 2, which I told them, it just isn't here yet, so no serial #), and 1 34" ROG Asus Gsync monitors I own. Also gave them 1 Asus 2080ti serial, and 4 1080ti serials. Didn't bother with all the mbs and past stuff, suffice it to say I gave them a good idea of how loyal an Asus customer I've been over the years. Didn't matter.

The one positive is they said they would escalate this (it was already "escalated" twice with the same result), but I'm not expecting any change.

Anyone want a free Asus Maximus XI Z390 who can fix MB, or just wants something to tinker on? It's that or I take it out to try some new M855A1 copper bullet 5.56 rounds on it, and maybe some RUAG .308 black tip armor piercing rounds. Or some 12 guage. Or maybe some tannerite.

Suffice it to say, my first and only experience dealing with an RMA, was with the company I've probably bought the most stuff from in the last 5 years, and it's sucked. Big time.

Last edited by Gman109; November 26, 2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old November 26, 2018, 01:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Any chance you can go back to the local shop and tell them that ASUS denied your warranty claim due to damage they caused? I'm not sure how you feel about doing that though, depending if this is a "mom & pop" sort of shop. Maybe see if they'll at least meet you half way on the cost of a new board and let them source it for you?

Other thought would be to hit ASUS up on Twitter or Facebook and see if they'll do anything through those channels.

It's unfortunate that honesty and offering to cover the cost wasn't enough. It's probably due to all the people that messed up pins on their board and RMA'd in the past claiming it wasn't their fault. That's why policies had to become so strict on this.
Old November 26, 2018, 01:55 PM
Top Prospect

You're right, it is a mom and pop, and in a small town like CFB Moose Jaw, they are already struggling just to keep open. I'm not doing that to them over an honest, albeit stupid mistake. Especially from a kid that was just over enthusiastic to "help", and is really into PC gaming (but poor). Nope, but I understand why you would ask about that, first thing I'd ask too.

I understand them being strict regarding the pins, and again, I offered to pay for the socket itself to be replaced - but the pins have nothing to do, nothing at all, with the other parts of the board which were a:defective out of the box, and b:failed and caused the blue screen and no post issue (no idea what this is, and I spent hours, many hours, trying EVERYTHING, from swapping GPUs and Ram umpteen times, and then later taking it to the local PC tech shop and spending hours waiting, and then 2 more hours swapping CPUs and trying various PSUs/etc to 100% rule out everything but the MB being the failed part).

Regarding Asus, in the past, when I ran the largest gaming website in Canada (circa 99/2001), this would have been easily solved by the mere threat of negative press - or by just grabbing one of many MB off the shelf, hah, and not caring. The $ isn't the issue, it's of no great concern to me, but what does bug the shit out of me is their nonchalant way of voiding the warranty over the phone on something that was caused by the initial board failure in the first place. As I said, I took responsibility for the pins (again, you can't even tell), and said I'd pay for that, but they owe me for the initial failures and out of the box nonworking sata ports in the first place.

Having just bought another Asus 4k144hz unit, which makes $6k retail alone on just the 2 versions of that model I have, that I didn't buy extra warranty due to the "Asus guarantee" of 3 years warranty which covers "everything" as they so wonderfully put it in the advertising for these models. THIS is what concerns me, not a few hundred bucks, but the coverage on $9k worth of new LCDs (the others are near or coming near to being out of warranty anyway), if I get a 3rd one of these, what happens if I have an issue, is it going to be the same BS?

Last edited by Gman109; November 26, 2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old November 26, 2018, 02:08 PM
MVP

Well, you COULD go to the "mom & pop" shop, explain the whole thing, and ask them to get you a replacement board at THEIR cost, which then cuts you a break, and doesn't really hurt them in any way..... trouble is, given that margins on 'puter stuff are supposedly razor thin, that likely won't save you much off the price of buying a replacement yourself, and given that the cost of those parts to little local shops is probably higher than someone like NewEgg, it might not save you anything.....
Old November 26, 2018, 02:12 PM
Top Prospect

I could, but again won't for the above reasons. It's not on the local shop for the initial board failure anyway, that's on Asus, and they should be the ones responsible for fixing it, the blue screen/no post failure/issue, as well as the non working sata ports out of the box. I'll wear the local shop's mistake, and pay for that myself, but I don't think Asus should be let off the hook for the board failing and not working properly out of the box, just because a few pins got bent well after those facts.

I could understand Asus voiding the warranty if the bent pins caused a problem with the board, and that was the ONLY problem with the board. It's not and it wasn't. Again, the pins were fine and the machine was running OK for almost 3 days (aside from the non working sata ports), and something other than the socket/pins failed causing the board to no longer post to bios, or show any recognition at all. That's all on Asus, not the socket or pins.
Old November 26, 2018, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah that's shitty. I've given up on ever trying to fix a damaged component just because I'm always worried I'll instantly null any warranty (of course items that are already out of warranty are a different matter).

Any chance you can salvage it with a little more 'straightening' of the pins, or they're as good as they'll get already? We did have an article years ago about straightening CPU pins; Fixing Bent Pins on AMD's Ryzen PGA CPUs
Not sure if there's any tips there that can help, but it's a shame to see a brand new MB dead.

JD's suggestion to tap into their social media account is a good one. You don't have to throw the shop under the bus, just a rough story and 'Hey is there anything ASUS can do to help, I'm really feeling let down by your customer service, etc'. Companies hate bad social media PR.
Old November 26, 2018, 09:41 PM
Top Prospect

The pins are straight, you can barely tell, if at all, anything happened to them. I didn't try and fix it either, neither did the tech I took it to, only test it to be sure it was the MB at fault - I had to put another CPU/2 into it to see if it was indeed dead, as it wouldn't post, and it was the only way to prove for certain it was the MB that was at fault for that and not a PSU/CPU issue.

A friend of mine is really good at straightening the pins back, and he did it for me, and again, it's perfect really, and by rights I should have just kept my mouth shut. If I don't hear back from Asus tomorrow, I'm going to try and get an RMA from NewEgg where I bought it, and see what happens then. Even if they notice something with the pins, I'm going to tell them I don't want the socket messed with, I want the Sata port issue and whatever else broke on the board to cause it to blue screen/not post dealt with, as I'm 99.9% certain that the socket will work fine with a CPU in it, I've seen sockets in worse shape work fine in vids online, far worse in fact, as again, this one would be seen as perfect if you didn't know where to look with a magnifying glass, and even then, most I don't think would see anything.

You're right about them hating bad PR. Hell, I had the Purolator customer service up my ass for 3 days after I posted here about their drivers dumping this specific order in the snow outside remember, and they found in on another site I post on as well. I won't use social media in Asus' case, instead go right to the sources where they advertise the most.

I've read other similar stories on the ROG board tonight, I'm not real hopeful. Luckily, as I said I used to run the largest gaming site here in Canada, and have a couple friends that still write in the industry, one for a very, very large online PC gaming site (arguably the largest depending on what metrics you use). I may write an article for him on warranties in the PC gaming world, and take examples from a bunch I've read today. I recorded my conversations with Asus and have kept all the emails we've exchanged as well. Mine is far from the worst case from Asus in particular I've read today - they can be pretty ridiculous if 1/2 of what I've read is to be believed.

Again, I'm not too fussed about the MB or the $, I already put the best Asrock board in that box, and I've been pretty impressed overall with it so far. What does concern me is the warranty on my much more expensive Asus monitors, and what could happen if they have problems in the future. I'm certain I can whip up an article regarding all this that Asus won't appreciate much with 3/4 of a mil eyeballs on it. That'll be worth the cost of a $375 board which was defective out of the box.

Last edited by Gman109; November 26, 2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old November 27, 2018, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is a shitty situation all around. I'm not sure what I'd do in your position. Although I WOULD go have a conversation with the son/helper and explain that they need to be a LOT more careful in the future.

If ASUS comes back to you after escalation, I'd suggest asking them to look at the MB anyway as they should be able to test the various components without touching the CPU socket at all. With the right testing done, they should be able to identify that the issues aren't socket related.

As for ASUS support, I avoid them like the plague unless they have the only product that does the job for me. (I currently have one ASUS MB because I really didn't like any alternatives.) But I've dealt with ASUS support several times and it's been a VERY frustrating experience. I don't know why they're so popular, as I have had nothing but trouble when dealing with them. Although I understand their concerns here due to info on bent pins, they should at least be willing to look at the board and see if they can identify other issues. At the very least, they should offer to replace the socket, and if the issues go away then you pay for it, but if they persist (which you know they will) then they cover it under warranty with a replacement.
Old November 27, 2018, 11:07 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
This is a shitty situation all around. I'm not sure what I'd do in your position. Although I WOULD go have a conversation with the son/helper and explain that they need to be a LOT more careful in the future.

If ASUS comes back to you after escalation, I'd suggest asking them to look at the MB anyway as they should be able to test the various components without touching the CPU socket at all. With the right testing done, they should be able to identify that the issues aren't socket related.

As for ASUS support, I avoid them like the plague unless they have the only product that does the job for me. (I currently have one ASUS MB because I really didn't like any alternatives.) But I've dealt with ASUS support several times and it's been a VERY frustrating experience. I don't know why they're so popular, as I have had nothing but trouble when dealing with them. Although I understand their concerns here due to info on bent pins, they should at least be willing to look at the board and see if they can identify other issues. At the very least, they should offer to replace the socket, and if the issues go away then you pay for it, but if they persist (which you know they will) then they cover it under warranty with a replacement.

That's exactly what I'm doing waiting on hold with them right now - I'm certain the socket is fine, and not the cause. Lots of negatives of all kinds about this particular board online.

I've told Asus I just want them to fix the three sata ports which would cause the system to either and/or not boot, and whatever caused that condition to be permanent with the blue screen and inability to post to bios (probably related would be a reasonable assumption). Their management has the escalation file now, so I'm just waiting to here what they say.

You're absolutely right about dealing with them, wow, what a PITA, and all the CSA there have what I'd rate as poor to poor/intermediate English language skills. Maybe I just got 3 agents so far that are on the lower end of the skill pool regarding this, but IMO this is a place where a tech company as big as Asus can't be ******* around regarding clear communications.

Again, I'm not really concerned about the MB or $, it's cost me far, far more in time, frustration, and PITA just troubleshooting everything to find out that the MB was the cause and to replace it and start all over with a brand new system, installing Win10 and all my software on the boot drive again. I realize now that if one of my more costly Asus products like a monitor or GPU goes tits up, it's going to be a big problem and hassle.

Freeknight's article/link is what a friend of ours used to straighten out the couple bents pins that needed attention, and they look 100%, so worst case, I'll get another RMA from NewEgg and just hope for the coin flip that they don't see something in the pins they don't like, and replace it. My concern there and why I haven't just sent it back to NewEgg is that there is a file with my name attached to it with Asus regarding this, and if Newegg gets any wind of the word "bent" and "pins", they'll 100% just ignore the other problems and ship it back, causing even more wasted time and cost in shipping each way, throwing another $100 in shipping cost.
Old November 27, 2018, 09:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've had bent pins out of the box, opened before left the store for their warranty was void if had bent pins

online shop can't check b4 buy. note asrock is asus

have tried to reflash bios with correct Rev of MB, gotta match Rev and MB model