Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2018, 09:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Swapping motherboards and CPU directions

Hey Folks

I am sure this is a dumb question and I know just enough to be dangerous plus it's been a long time since I saw the inside of a computer build. I have a ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Intel Mini ITX motherboard with a Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz LGA 1155 95W CPU. The hard drive is a Corsair SSD and has software on it that I don't want to try and re-stall on a new machine (if I can even find the disks).

How hard is it to swap in a new motherboard and CPU and use the old drive? Am I going to get a whole bunch of driver conflicts? Will it even boot up? Is there a preferred way to solve this dilemma or I just going to have to bite the bullet build a new machine and reinstall all the software?

thanks
Old November 15, 2018, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well in my experience there shouldn't be to much problems I would maybe make sure that you download the LAN so that just in case the OS doesnt install the LAN driver ( I am pretty sure win8 and win 10 have the drivers) other then that it should be easy. I have a small SSD with windows 10 on it and another hard drive with windows 8.1 and I have swaped out the hard drives with my laptop and pc with out any problems. but years ago when Iwas running windows 7 I ran into the LAN problem when I swapped out my motherboard fired up my PC but couldnt connect to the internet I had to grab a spare psu and a stick of ran connect my harddrive to the old motherboard and fire it
up and then download the drivers. now I have a couple of PCs and a laptop plus my tablet so if I run into this problem I would just use my other pc laptop or tablet to oget the driver.
Old November 15, 2018, 11:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

thanks. I'll see how things go and cry for help if I need it. :-)
Old November 15, 2018, 03:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If your running Windows 10 and moving to the same brand CPU & video card, you'll generally be fine.

If your still on Windows 7, probably have some driver problems to sort out, though you can't even run anything beyond Skylake chips officially.
Old November 16, 2018, 11:20 AM
Top Prospect

I always recommend a fresh install.
Old November 18, 2018, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If windows 7 you can just run driver sweeper to remove all old drive in safe mode then just boot it up and load new drive I have done it loads of time without a single problem. If windows 10 you can just swap it out and it should load up new drivers for ya aslong as your internet is connected as someone pointed out make sure your lan is up and running and ya should be fine good luck and relax I always find if I get pissed off it takes longer to get to the same outcome
Old November 18, 2018, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

for what its worth is a new HDD will be the best option for new hardware

collect all your new hardware drivers on USB stick using old setup then new OS on its own USB

swap out hardware only add new HDD leave out old HDD till you install new OS

after up an running new OS on internet, use the MB manufactures utility to update hardware /Note: firmware for your MB model and its Rev.X.XX usually printed by the model name on MB or lower left on MB

once that is sorted then shut down and add old HDD so that can transfer files or use it as a back-up after you clean out unwanted files

forgot to say make sure the CPU is matched to bios version if its not will not boot up on new hardware

need to first get BIOS up to date or use CPU that matched to current BIOS (out of MB box) Note MB box may have a sticker shown bios version

what MB /CPU you have ?

Last edited by KaptCrunch; November 18, 2018 at 07:52 AM.