Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2018, 12:06 PM
Top Prospect

Default New mb failure help

New i9 build after 3 days humming along went blue screen while surfing last night, and wonít repost. The monitors I tried it with seem to detect the system startup, but screen stays black and no bios screen shows up. Ruled out gpu with other cards and the on board HDMI and display port plugs do the same thing. Tried re seating all mb plug ins many times, checked cpu for too much paste (thatís fine), tried cmos reset, single ram stick boots, and everything else. No post, no beeps, no bios screen, just black screen. kB lights up, but has no effect obviously.

Am I missing anything else to try? Tried this psu on another system quickly, it is working. Iím thinking bad mb, and with my luck with Asus lately this wonít surprise me. Booooo. Asus Maximus XI hero wifi mb.

Again, just want to be sure Iím not forgetting anything else troubleshooting....
Old November 13, 2018, 02:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like mobo or CPU with everything else you've tried.
Old November 13, 2018, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Did you try and reseat the CPU? Slim chance, but maybe a bent pin or bad contact. Otherwise I say dead mob as most likely followed by dead cpu (way less likely).
Old November 13, 2018, 06:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Is it new memory? I didn't understand the memory part of the post - tried different sticks, one at a time and? If either are defective, then it would probably not boot? I also think it could be the mobo - as I recall reading on newegg reviews, some buyers talking about having a DOA mobo - so maybe QC is a problem with all these boards being released?
Old November 13, 2018, 07:36 PM
Top Prospect

New ram, yes, I tried it in another board and it worked. Tried reseating the i9 as well. You’re right (I hope) that it’s most likely the mb, I’ll know Friday for certain. Rma with newegg sucks so far...
Old November 13, 2018, 07:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like you're checking all the right boxes. One last thing is that it is possible to be the PSU too.

I had a similar problem recently of a dead 8700k, swapped PSU, then CPU from MemEx (their customer support is awesome, they lent me a bench Pentium!), so I didnt have to swap mobo to check.

Bit of a hassle to swap the PSU, but better than RMA'ing the wrong part. My troubleshooting order is always everything you did to the last three, then PSU or CPU (if spare/loaner is possible) -> Mobo.

Edit. I'm an idiot, you said you swapped PSU. Yeah, CPU next, mobo last, if you can swap the CPU.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 14, 2018, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for all the replies. Small town here but I found one tech with a spare cpu to toss in this board (last thing I could check and troubleshoot)....it wonít post either. Makes me virtually certain itís the board. Mb fail far more frequently than cpu, at least thatís what Iíve read searching this.

Serves me right for saying how few rma Iíve done in a recent thread.

Last thing, Asus knows they have issues with the Maximus XI, lots of bad reviews, and the Asus rep told me that itís having much higher failure rates than typical. Newegg reviews show Iím far from the first. Big Asus user, always have been, this has been surprising for me.

Long time MemEx customer here too, since 1999, dozens of systems and monitors/etc. Only reason I didnít buy from them this time was the i9 availability.
Old November 14, 2018, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Glad you're narrowing it down. Frustrating in a new system!

I have always been a long time ASUS user too, still am, but when I built my current 4790K system I had a board failure with the brand new ASUS board I had purchased. I had to RMA through ASUS, which was tedious, but in the end once I had completed all the testing to their satisfaction they fixed me up with a brand new board.
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz | Custom liquid cooling loop | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old November 14, 2018, 01:28 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
Glad you're narrowing it down. Frustrating in a new system!

I have always been a long time ASUS user too, still am, but when I built my current 4790K system I had a board failure with the brand new ASUS board I had purchased. I had to RMA through ASUS, which was tedious, but in the end once I had completed all the testing to their satisfaction they fixed me up with a brand new board.
Newegg was pretty good today, total reversal from first agent in fact. Again, they know this product is having higher failure rates now too. Sent me a label so the RMA will be free shipping, and Iím sure theyíll find the same problems with the mb, and theyíll re send me another, which Iíll sell as I picked up a couple Asrock z390 Taichi Ultimate boards. Now I get to find out if a mb swap means I have to go through all the Win10 activation bs again, hah.