Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2018, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default PSU troubles

Hiya guts having worst luck possible with new build now even old build.

Put old rive 4 Black Edition board into new case setup PSU cables go to turn it on PSU making clicking sound and it's powering on off instantly. I unplug power to the Motherboard no issue it stays on never had that problem before.
Old August 2, 2018, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I do believe I had that exact problem with my first Z97 Pro Wifi board in my current build. It was a motherboard problem that required RMA, and wasn't a PSU issue.

I did all the testing, running the motherboard on its own, outside of the case on the motherboard box to ensure no shorts, nothing else attached, different PSUs, etc. Once that determined it was the board ASUS recommended the RMA.
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz (Swiftech H220) | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old August 2, 2018, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

double heck that you're not shorting out so the system won't jump on.

if it's in a case, building it outside is the best way to try and figure that out.
Old August 2, 2018, 01:45 PM
Allstar

Yep, highly likely you've caused a board to case short. A careful inspection should reveal the culprit.
Old August 2, 2018, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ty just reinstalled my gigabyte aorus Ultimate board PSU working fine. But having another issue bios shows the network card but windows won't see it or install from cd showing no compatible hardware. After trying to install for 10 mins
Old August 2, 2018, 04:24 PM
Allstar

So the RIVE 4 is fine, just not liking the new case?.......?

As for the network adapter issue, I'm assuming you're still trying to stay on Win 7, as you had mentioned in previous posts. Everyone from Microsoft to the board makers to the chip makers is trying to make that as difficult as possible these days. Finding drivers may be a problem.
Old August 2, 2018, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just got nic working I'm really thinking ram is borked it can't run xmp in duel channel for more then 20 mins it runs fine single 8 GB stick but duel 8 GB sticks bad memory pool
Old August 2, 2018, 08:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
Just got nic working I'm really thinking ram is borked it can't run xmp in duel channel for more then 20 mins it runs fine single 8 GB stick but duel 8 GB sticks bad memory pool
Be careful, this could be a bad CPU memory channel, or even motherboard problem.

Have you tried running memtest yet? You really need to play all the variables out here to determine the root cause. Go down to one stick of ram, and (if it passes) move it through all your slots.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 3, 2018, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah memtest found some errors contacted corsair doing a rma for them atm. I'll upload some pics soon as Can.
Old August 4, 2018, 10:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Be careful, this could be a bad CPU memory channel, or even motherboard problem.
...or nothing at all... My X58 did that and I ended up just upgrading at the time. Eventually I hooked the board back up onto of of those "bench" cases and everything was fine. Guess it just needed some downtime It makes a good "test" board now anyhow, since it still has a PCI slot and IDE for old stuff.