Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2018, 06:10 AM
Rookie

Default Physical memory help?

I've noticed my computer has been bit sluggish recently and I'm not sure why

Task Manager is saying I'm consuming more memory than I should be. I have 8GB but you'll see in the screenshot below I'm using less than 4GB but it says 86% used.

Thoughts?

Old June 16, 2018, 06:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Your ram map app lays it out quite clearly: you've tapped out your ram.

Your computer is probably feeling sluggish from page file swapping data in and out of ram on to your HD. If you want to eliminate that without changing user habits you're going to need more ram.

You can try disabling startup items, or closing programs you're not actively using, but it looks like you're just using programs that require ram.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 16, 2018, 06:47 AM
Rookie

Thanks so everything looks normal? Does the windows task manager not show the full picture then? I was expecting to see like ~50% usage given the screenshot I posted
Old June 16, 2018, 06:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hujintao View Post
Thanks so everything looks normal? Does the windows task manager not show the full picture then? I was expecting to see like ~50% usage given the screenshot I posted
Task manager is terrible at showing accurate usage. It only shows processes that are using private ram actually, so you can compare that to your rammap application (Private processes) which is accurately reflecting that value.

Processes also use shared memory objects, and Windows sets aside chunks of memory for non-user mode processes, which is the other part of what rammap is showing you.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 16, 2018, 07:05 AM
Rookie

Good to know! Thanks!