Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2018, 04:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default HPET article.

I cannot say to know all the problems that this may be causing out there, but after reading the article and digging a bit on forums and Reddit this problem has been 'known' to cause issues for quite some time. The earliest confirmed problem I could find dates back to 2012, and I didnt even try hard to find earlier...Yet for all that this 'bug' is not WELL known in the PC industry. It affects Intel processors MUCH more than AMD. Upwards of 30% at 1080p resolution

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12678...-ryzen-results

To ensure HPET is off run CMD with admin and type "bcdedit /enum"
If it does NOT return "useplatformclock Yes" as one of the categories, its off and you're fine.

Apparently this is reported on the net to cause anything from FPS drops, to studders, to USB problems galore...yet I'd never heard of it at all until this article today.

There is also talk that spectre and meltdown patches could be exacerbating the issue even further...

I'm really leaning towards an AMD processor next round. These 'quirks' and 'bugs' (or are they just 'features' so intel could retain its crown for longer?) are really starting to irritate me.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 25, 2018, 10:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

HPET is disabled by default in Windows so it shouldn't be an issue for most people.
Old April 26, 2018, 07:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I checked the command and was disabled for me, as SugarJ suggested. Interesting article though.
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz (Swiftech H220) | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old April 26, 2018, 07:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
HPET is disabled by default in Windows so it shouldn't be an issue for most people.
Yeah. I thought I'd throw it up for search purposes. Might help someone fight a problem somewhere cause they accidentally flipped it on in the bios.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about