Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2018, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Question Weird transfer issues

Hey guys I'm having a head scratching moment can't seem to find a cause or solution.

1. Transfering files from my file server PC to a usb stick it seems to hang at 5 seconds remaining for 10 mins or longer per file
2. Iv tried uninstalling usb drivers on both PC's tried unplugging HDDs on server replacing data cables.
3.even tried a few live Linux distros to rule out is

Not sure what else to try any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 21, 2018, 08:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Does it do this with every USB stick or the same one? If its the same one 99% of the time this is ECC on the flash drive kicking in because its dying. Get the information off and buy a new one. If its multiple Flash Drives I'd look at (all of) your USB ports with other devices (USB HDD, or a game controller) and see if the issue manifests in some way. The USB controller could be going for a shit.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old February 21, 2018, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

dang i was afraid of that its right off the front ports on my Cosmos 2 case and the back, its happening on all usb drives iv tried, last month i transfered 1T off on a usb portable drive no issues. but ill see if it happens with ports on back as well.
Old February 22, 2018, 12:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This may sound simple, but check the front panel connector on both the motherboard and case as well. I was having flaky transfers on an old Antec case and it turns out that the front panel connector came loose from opening and closing of the front cover.