Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2017, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default is my cable box causing Internet problems?

Has anyone ever heard or experienced Internet disconnections because of a faulty cable that connects from a splitter to the cable TV box ( not the modem)

over the past year I have been having issues with my Internet, it is cable Internet ( subcontracted from shaw) today I was moving things around with my cable TV on and my PC on when i moved something that moved the cable box which caused the signal to my TV to freeze for a few seconds I kept moving things around and discovered that the cable from the splitter to the cable box was faulty as I walked pass my PC I noticed that my Internet disconnected , I reset the cable modem and Internet reconnected . I then went back to the cable box wiggle the faulty cable a little more the signal to my TV froze again I kept wiggling the cable for another 30 seconds then went back to PC the Internet was disconnected . I replaced the faulty cable to the cable box Internet is now connected I am just wondering if it is just coincidence because my Internet sometimes does disconnect then reconnect this way.
Old October 10, 2017, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Cable is generally never bad with coax but cheap or shoddy splitters are quite common.
Old October 10, 2017, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

^^^^

Absolutely.

Is your modem connected to the splitter?
Old October 10, 2017, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm maybe I will test this
Old October 10, 2017, 11:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Whenever a doubt arises with troubleshooting a problem you should always try to direct connect devices with the minimum number of anything. For example: Networking problems? Remove your router (when possible) and plug directly from modem to machine. Same goes with troubleshooting hardware PC faults, the absolute minimum required to see the bios: GPU/mobo/CPU/1xram.

I'd definitely remove the splitter and plug your main line in to your modem to ensure its not the secondary line or (more likely) a shoddy splitter.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 10, 2017, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just connected directly to the wall lol debating on just connecting my PC to the modem problem is I have raspi3 that I use to access my PC for shows not really to sure as to how I can do this unless there ius a way to conect my PC to my router Via USB or something . this modem blew a cap which I replaced a while back wondering if maybe it is the router acting up grrr on the modem when I disconnect it shows US ( I am thinking upstream ) problems
Old October 11, 2017, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are USB to Network adapters, even on USB 3.0