Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2017, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default cable modem keeps disconecting

over the past year my cable modems kept discontecting , went through allot with ISP even bought new modems had techs come out do different things , it seems as soon as I am gaming online and say torrenting a little at the same time the US disconects. I did a little search on the net and came across this video on utube called
Resolve Cable Modem Disconnects Caused by High Upstream Power Level

I am wondering if this could fix my problem it is very frustration I have a program that show when my internet disconects running I have mty PC running 24/7 and when I look at the logs it never seems to disconnect when I am at work or alseep . anyway am thinking of buying one of these https://www.amazon.com/PCT-Amplifier...+Active+Return but am not sure if it would be the correct one
Old September 22, 2017, 09:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I had a similar issue several years ago. It took them over a year to finally fix my disconnects. Turned out the power levels (not sure if it was upside or downside, it was years ago) on the cable were too high and was causing the issue. All they had to do to fix it was to plug in an inline attenuator in the back of my router between the router and the coaxial cable. I think it was a 6db inline attenuator. Haven't had a problem since.

Last edited by bignick277; September 22, 2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old September 22, 2017, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm I will have to look into that maybe find some at local stores , they are allot cheaper
Old September 22, 2017, 07:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Generally amplifiers are frowned upon for cable modems.

Have you logged into your modem to check the power levels? Are you sure it's your upstream that's too high? That usually means you have the modem plugged into too many splitters.