Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2017, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default New 1080 Ti installed, keyboard not detected on boot... whaa?

So put the new 1080 Ti in last night and everything is working in Windows. Then I did some reboots and noticed a strange issue.

On boot up everything hangs on the ASUS motherboard screen until it eventually states no keyboard detected, then it appears to detect it after that long pause, and it carries on. That happens most times. However a couple times it wouldn't recover. Pressing the reset button results in everything getting detected fine and a normal boot. Only thing I changed was to uninstall the NVIDIA driver and software, remove the old video card, install new card, reinstall NVIDIA stuff.

After some Googling it looks like perhaps a motherboard BIOS update is required, at least that fixed the issue on some Gigabyte boards, but I don't understand why. Why would changing a video card result in a change in keyboard detection? I don't mind doing the BIOS update, but I would really like to know what changed to cause this oddity.

Anyone know what is happening here or seen this behaviour before?
Old September 6, 2017, 10:44 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Back in the old days, hardware was not plug and play. You had to set jumpers on the add in to assign interrupts, base memory addresses etc. Modern plug and play hardware the bios does this automatically. My guess is your bios cannot recognize the new 1080ti properly and is assigning resources from your keyboard to it. Like dhcp gone wrong. I've seen issues similar to this when the hardware is newer than the motherboard.
Old September 6, 2017, 10:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Most likely it is the mobo issue

Gigabyte is

I got Gigabyte 880GMA-UDH2 + Zotac GTX970 = Headache

Gigabyte 880GMA-UDH2 (F5) + Phenom 2 1090t. Works fine with 7770.
Disabled onboard GPU, DDU AMD drivers.
BIOS posts, Win10x64 is getting stuck at windows logo.

Trying to boot from the installation disc. It is getting stuck at windows logo. Disconnecting boot HD, booting from DVD - same thing, stuck at windows logo.

Plugging 7770 back - everything is back to normal.
Plugging GTX970 into the older P5Q-E + Q9650 - works nicely, UserBenchmark test passes.
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + HGST 5400RPM 2TB
Evga GTX 1080 FTW 8GB + BenQ BL3201PH 4K 32"
Old September 6, 2017, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Back in the old days, hardware was not plug and play. You had to set jumpers on the add in to assign interrupts, base memory addresses etc. Modern plug and play hardware the bios does this automatically. My guess is your bios cannot recognize the new 1080ti properly and is assigning resources from your keyboard to it. Like dhcp gone wrong. I've seen issues similar to this when the hardware is newer than the motherboard.
I remember those old days *shudder*. So based on that then perhaps the BIOS update would make sense? To allow the older motherboard to recognize the newer GPU correctly? The latest BIOS for my board was put out in 2015 so still old even if I do update. I didn't check yet, hopefully I'm not already on the newest one!

I wouldn't have thought there was that much difference between the 1070 and the 1080 Ti but something is going on.
Old September 6, 2017, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
Gigabyte is

I got Gigabyte 880GMA-UDH2 + Zotac GTX970 = Headache

Gigabyte 880GMA-UDH2 (F5) + Phenom 2 1090t. Works fine with 7770.
Disabled onboard GPU, DDU AMD drivers.
BIOS posts, Win10x64 is getting stuck at windows logo.

Trying to boot from the installation disc. It is getting stuck at windows logo. Disconnecting boot HD, booting from DVD - same thing, stuck at windows logo.

Plugging 7770 back - everything is back to normal.
Plugging GTX970 into the older P5Q-E + Q9650 - works nicely, UserBenchmark test passes.
Is this post in here because it is similar issue 486? Did you try updating the BIOS? When I was looking online last night the BIOS update did seem to fix the Gigabyte board's issue. I have ASUS so just hoping it might work for me too.
Old September 6, 2017, 11:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've got to agree. Gigabyte has given me bad experiences, easily the most out of all manufacturers. So much so that I refuse to buy any of their products because I'm worried statistically of running in to problems with them.

That being said, Squee is probably on to something. This seems similar to not having the right CPU microcode ID in a bios, and unable to boot with a new CPU.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 6, 2017, 11:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I know Asus had some keyboard-specific issues with the Crosshair IV Hero, which they fixed with a BIOS update, but it was related to a specific keyboard, not a GPU. But it was an acknowledged issue, and it was corrected.
Old September 6, 2017, 11:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Latest BIOS is F5, and that's what I got. May be re-flash of the same BIOS will help, I will try.
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + HGST 5400RPM 2TB
Evga GTX 1080 FTW 8GB + BenQ BL3201PH 4K 32"
Old September 6, 2017, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah, I'll go ahead with the BIOS update too and report back. Can't hurt right? (famous last words...)
Old September 6, 2017, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

- So did the BIOS update to the latest, no problem.

- Did a couple of reboots, appeared to be having the same issue. I noticed that my USB hub was also not getting powered or identified when the issue occurred.

- Made it into the BIOS with a reset and tried disabling Fast Boot. After researching I understood Fast Boot is supposed to allow for faster boot up by enabling only a minimal set of USB devices. On by default but sounded like a good thing to disable in this scenario.

- Two full power offs and two restarts and things appear to be working fine now. All picked up, the hub and the keyboard, and completed a normal boot.

So hoping that is the solution, so far so good.