Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2017, 04:13 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Odd Mouse/Keyboard lighting issue

A few weeks ago, I came into my computer room and noticed the keyboard and mouse were lit up on a computer that I was certain I shut down. The mouse and keyboard were lit but the computer was off. I wondered if I had actually left it on and it crashed. Started the computer up without any problems, so I just shrugged it off as odd.

Today, at the same computer, I shut it down. The mouse was near the edge of the desk, so I pushed it forward. In pushing it forward, I hit one of the DPI setting buttons at the top and the mouse and keyboard lit up - computer still off.

Clicked every button on the mouse without results, pressed some of the keys, etc. but nothing. Turned the computer back on okay, then shut it down and all the lights were off as expected.

Obviously not a big issue, but I'm quite curious how a mouse button would turn on lighting for the mouse and keyboard on a powered down computer. Pretty sure it's not ghosts or aliens or my cat...

Mouse is an old Microsoft laser - no model numbers - 3 DPI settings work in Linux Mint

Keyboard is fairly new: AZiO Levetron L70 Led Backlit Gaming Keyboard - inexpensive, backlit with volume control
Both the mouse and keyboard are plugged into a Dell P2214H monitor. The computer and monitor are plugged into a UPS, which I only turn off at night or when I don't expect to use the system, so the monitor had power in both instances. Now that I know how it is activated, hitting the power button on the monitor will power down the mouse and keyboard lighting. However, it still doesn't make any sense that the mouse dpi buttons would light up the mouse and keyboard in the first place.

Just curious - any ideas?

M/B ASUS B85M-G w/i3-4130
CoolerMaster N200 case
OS Linux Mint
Old June 28, 2017, 07:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

sleep mode, standby issue something in cmos or MB jumper setting

check manual
Old June 29, 2017, 11:02 AM
Rookie

Likely a bios setting to power on from usb or other device.
Old June 29, 2017, 01:04 PM
MVP
F@H

All of the BIOS Power-On settings are off (default). I didn't see any sleep mode or standby settings in the BIOS.

Clicking on the mouse or keyboard does not start the system, just lights up the mouse and keyboard. If I power down the system, turn the monitor off, then back on, clicking on the mouse does nothing.

There are is a MB USB jumper for Keyboard and USB wake-up and a USB jumper for USB device wake up. (both at default) Going to assume it's these that are allowing the behavior
Old June 29, 2017, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

ASUS B85M-G or is it R2.0 that's printed on motherboard, make sure have the correct hardware before any updating

BIOS 2403
1.Support ASUS USB 3.1 PCIE add-on card
2.Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.

is the second last bios
with BIOS 2501
Improve system stability. is the last

Last edited by KaptCrunch; June 30, 2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old June 29, 2017, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
All of the BIOS Power-On settings are off (default). I didn't see any sleep mode or standby settings in the BIOS.

Clicking on the mouse or keyboard does not start the system, just lights up the mouse and keyboard. If I power down the system, turn the monitor off, then back on, clicking on the mouse does nothing.

There are is a MB USB jumper for Keyboard and USB wake-up and a USB jumper for USB device wake up. (both at default) Going to assume it's these that are allowing the behavior
10/1 this

Pretty much SOP for mobo nowadays to provide power via usb / input from usb while powered down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 29, 2017, 07:03 PM
MVP
F@H

Thanks Greyhair, Kapt Krunch and SuperGlover for the replies. Not going to worry about it. Nothing that negatively affects the computer; it's just my basic surfing system. Curious about the unusual behavior.