Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2017, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 - Hard Disk Not Detected

Hey gang, working on a notebook issue for my cousin and I'm coming up empty on a solution. After some research, this appears to be an issue for lots of these notebooks, but I haven't found a solution that works yet.

According to my cousin, the laptop locked up in the middle of her working on a document. The only thing she could do was reboot it, but it booted to a BIOS error stating: "Hard Disk not detected". Ever since then, that's the only thing that it's booted to. My initial thought was simply that the mSATA drive died, so I ordered a replacement drive. But after installing the new Samsung EVO, it boots to the same message. I saw that there was a second mSATA bay, so I tried the new and old drives there, but I get the same error. I also noticed there is, what appears to be, a BIOS switch inside the laptop for multiple BIOS configs. (or possibly for resetting the BIOS?) So I tried switching it and booting, but I get the same error. Switched it back, and the same thing. I can get in to the BIOS, but the options are limited. I can't even flash a BIOS update as the lone BIOS update available for this laptop from Lenovo is run as an EXE in Windows. Even if I unpacked the BIOS file, there's no option in the BIOS for flashing.

After some research online, I found a couple suggestions regarding resetting the BIOS config, as well as trying to change the legacy boot options in the BIOS. I have tried both of these suggestions, but neither has yielded any change.

The laptop is in good condition besides this error, and is only a couple years old. It seems strange that this would happen out of the blue, and I would suspect that it was dropped or physically damaged in some way had I not done research and found a TON of issues all saying the same thing. And after a pretty reasonable inspection of the board and cables, it doesn't appear that any cable is loose or unplugged. But to be safe, I've gone through and reseated everything.

Does anyone have any suggestions I haven't thought of? This is getting very frustrating as everything in me screams that issues like this don't just 'happen' without something failing. It's not likely a board failing, as it boots to BIOS fine, and I have a hard time believing it's a short or snapped connection with so many people complaining about the EXACT same issue. (Also, the same issue persists when swapping the drive to the secondary mSATA slot that's in a very different spot than the first.) And swapping the drive has basically eliminated the thought that it's a problem with the mSATA drive.

If all else fails, does anyone know what this kind of issue is likely to cost on an out-of-warranty RMA? My understanding is that Lenovo is not the best when it comes to out-of-warranty service. Alternatively, what do you think something like this could fetch for parts? i5 CPU (3317U), 4GB RAM, 128GB mSATA (assuming it works) and then the various laptop parts.
Old April 28, 2017, 04:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds like it will need a new motherboard, while it isn't easy you can do that and save some money. You can get a motherboard on Ebay for $150 and you should be able to find a PC repair shop to do the work if you don't want to.

I'd say you'll drop a minimum of $300 to get this fixed.

Old April 28, 2017, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CanadaComputers is an authorized Lenovo service shop. But if the repair would be 300+ I would just dump it and look for something else.
Old April 28, 2017, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
CanadaComputers is an authorized Lenovo service shop. But if the repair would be 300+ I would just dump it and look for something else.
I did NOT know that... I should give them a call and see what they say. It's common enough that they might have a good idea what the issue is and how much it will cost to fix.
Old April 28, 2017, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sata controller might be faulty.

Can you boot a portable version of Windows from a USB? That would get you into Windows to run the BIOS update.

Old April 28, 2017, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't tried to boot from USB yet. I have a thumb drive set up with the Windows 10 installer that I can use to see if I can boot from USB. If it works, then I'll create a bootable Windows install on USB to flash the BIOS and see if that helps. Too bad the drive is mSATA... I don't have an adapter for mSATA to USB, or even mSATA to SATA so I could use it in my USB external drive kit. Then I could boot to the drive and see if that works.

I called CC but they basically refused to discuss it with me over the phone as it's all speculation to them. I can't take it in, as they don't have a location in BC. I called a local Lenovo rep, but found they only dealt with the thinkpad line for warranty support. But at least they were willing to discuss the issue over the phone, and they suggested it's likely something that would require a MB replacement. They don't seem to think a BIOS flash will help given the symptoms and their experience with Lenovo.

Apparently, however, Lenovo will honor out-of-warranty support in some cases if a device has been deemed 'defective' but not recalled. I'll have to call their support line to find out if that's something that would be the case for this unit though. I'm banking on a 'no', but it's worth a shot as I don't have anything to lose.
Old April 28, 2017, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

yip toasted motherboard overheated

better off buying last year model if going to drop $300 for repair