Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2017, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Onboard sound not working

I have posted this before and I am still having issues , I have an older asrock z778 extreme 3 motherboard and ever since I switched out my nvid card a few years back to AMD vid card my Onboards sound stopped wqorking.

I have my sound mixer set to the realtek onboard sound and when I unplug and or plugin my speakers into the back gleen plug in I do get a popup saying device plugged in .
I am not sure wha is going on. the speakers ( in this case headphones ) work fine
Old March 31, 2017, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Lets just got back to the start? Have you tried doing a completely fresh install of windows with the new configuration? I know that video cards sometimes try and take over the sound profile so that needs to be accounted for.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 31, 2017, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I refreshed windows using the recovery option ( windows 8.1)
Old March 31, 2017, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

One other thought if you haven't checked, in the mixer go in and manually disable all the sound playback devices you don't want to use. There are right click checkboxes that allow you to Show or not Show disabled and unplugged devices. If you uncheck Show disabled then as you disable each device they'll disappear and you'll get down to only seeing the one you want. Then make sure the remaining one is set to default. Worth a shot before you go the full reinstall route. I sometimes have had my NVIDIA card or my monitor out compete my ODAC USB sound and cause me weird problems if I don't manually disable all the others and set the ODAC to default. It also avoids issues where software sometimes tries to pick the default but if you have others available they latch onto those rather than what you want.
Old March 31, 2017, 05:14 PM
MVP
F@H

How do you normally install your video drivers - default or custom? On a default install, both AMD and Nvidia install a lot of bloatware that you may never use and may be affecting your m/b driver.

My suggestion would be to do a clean custom install of the video driver only, then re-install the m/b Realtek driver so you know which driver is in control.