Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2017, 05:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Overheating or?

I have old hardware..Q6600 cpu and a large heatsink. Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or something.

Anyway, the case panels were accidentally thrown out. I wanted to sell the hardware eventually and build something new but unfortunately, I haven't been able to (afford it) yet. I recently had problems with the current system. I hope it's fixable...

Here's what's going on (I'll try to be as detailed but brief as possible - to help troubleshoot).

1) every once in a while, it would turn off - I thought maybe a power problem but I think it's the computer now

2) today - constant reboot.... I use Ubuntu and GRUB boot loader - it would go to boot screen and then reboot again.

Turned it off - unplugged everything and looked inside .... was a bit dusty. got compressed air and cleaned it out. I have one fan with the fan holder connected to the heat sink. I took that apart and cleaned it out.

My theory is the cpu needs to be reseated. Anyway, it is a bit cleaner in there so put it all together. Turned on and it boots up. But, the cpu temps seem very high. In Psensor (Temperature Monitor), the cpu core temps go up to high 40s, in the 50s when idle - but, when I open tabs, it goes up again. Streaming video - it's currently going up to low 70s with Core 0, Core 1 and low 60s with Core 2, Core 3 (when video is playing). Core Max. shows Core 0 when to 80 C at one point.

What can I do?

I think the seating of the cpu is the problem but it's only a theory. Any other theories or can you notice/recognize anything from what I've said so far? If it's the cpu seating, I would like to get a new heat sink even though I don't want to invest in this computer. I also think I need another fan (lower intake fan is crap - probably on its way to death).

I'm not sure which direction the heat sink fan is blowing either - I did change it but I thought I put it in the correct direction - it's on the other side of the heat sink facing the memory. Is that right? the 'front' of the fan is facing the memory as well.

Does anyone have anything to add or recommend/advise? I would appreciate it. If I can't get the temps lower, I'm taking it to a shop (in defeat). :-(
Old February 21, 2017, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

remove reset switch from motherboard

and see if still does it
Old February 21, 2017, 06:16 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You have one of the best heat sinks created for the LGA775 socket and chip - the TRUE. Don't change it. When you reseated the HSF, did you replace the thermal paste?
Old February 21, 2017, 08:20 PM
Allstar

Yeah, it just sounds like you need to re-mount your heat sink. I find the instructions provided by Arctic Silver work extremely well. Everything needs to be clean and you have to apply the TIM and mount the heat sink in a manner that will not create voids/air pockets. Do that and your temps should be good.

Those temps are high but should not be causing the re-booting. Could your power supply be on the way out?

Last edited by Valkyrie; February 21, 2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: addendum
Old February 22, 2017, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I had similar issues with my old Q6600 she was a beast on dfi LAN party 4 SLI. Had random crashes outa nowhere so reseated CPU put Arctic Silver 5 after cleaning old paste was chalky by this point. Didn't have issues till the 8800gtx melted while playing crisis 1.
Old February 24, 2017, 01:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Does anyone know about the LGA771 to LGA75 mode for the Xeon processors? Do you think getting an E5450 makes sense? They are about $50 on ebay but mostly from China sellers.... some explicitly say they did the mod already (some even mention you don't need a bracket. Huh? What's that about?). I am wondering what you can use for a heat sink. Can you use the same ones for LGA 775?

Another reason I started thinking about these is that they apparently run cooler. Also, 80 W vs 105 W (for the Q6600). Summer is coming and even if I reseat this Q6600.... I still might have some temps issues? I need to reseat it soon. It's showing 45 - 50 C on idle and high 50s/low 60s on load. Also seen high 60s on load just with a lot of tabs open. I tried a stress test and it went to low 80 in seconds...well, it didn't take long (I didn't time it exactly).

Should I use Artic Silver 5 or Artic Cooling MX-4? I read a few debates on this and many (ppl) said the MX-4 is better since the AS5 takes longer. I will need thermal compound no matter what I do - whether I stick with the Q6600 or buy a cheap cpu. I thought maybe $60 isn't too bad to invest in this old system as long as I don't spend any more $$. :) (compound not included). I could also try to sell the Q6600 for $20 or something to get some of the $ back?

What do you think? Good/poor idea? Good or meh?
Old February 24, 2017, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Can we see a picture of the case and fan layout? I never really ran into an issue with Q6600 doing what you described and I had one of them run 24/7 as a server inside a Thermaltake Laser tower. There should be direction arrows stamped into the side of the fans. I usually have the CPU fan blowing air from front to back and it sits in the front side of the heatsink tower. It was mounted in the backside of the heatsink tower to clear the RAM heatsink but I found it pretty loud and fix it with a slim fan. Another step I took is upgrade all my fans to Cougar (4 packs of the low end stuff) with a fan controller for my server. I just set the speed to max on all my fans and leave it there.
Old February 24, 2017, 03:39 PM
Allstar

I don't recommend you try the 771 to 775 mod. Just carefully clean your Q6600 leaving it in the socket. Don't over do it with the isopropyl alcohol, you don't want any running around anywhere, especially under the chip. I like to use slightly fluffed up Q-tips dampened with just a bit of isopropyl to clean up the old stuff and it will likely take several. Same thing for the heat sink. Final cleaning with coffee filter paper. Be very careful not to zap your board with static electricity. It all comes down to getting it clean, proper application of the TIM and heat sink while keeping it clean. Your Thermalright should perform very well if you get a good application. I like Arctic Silver 5, but any decent stuff should perform similarly for your application.

As for the fan you want it blowing into the cooler and towards an exit usually at the back of the case.
Old February 25, 2017, 03:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

use the heat sink with copper core
Old February 25, 2017, 10:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Use the MX-4 for sure. With the TRUE, you'll be fine with a re-application of paste, assuming that's the issue here.