Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2017, 08:43 PM
Banned

Default Laptop Won't Connect to TV

Well I'm sure this is the last thread you want to see, but it's real and it's happening to me. I must have scoured the Internet for hours trying to figure this out, but to no avail.

I have an old Asus K53E I'm looking to use as an HTpc for my bedroom, but it will not display on my TV. I've used a different laptop to test and it works fine. When I connect an hdmi to.this laptop and to the TV the screen goes blank like it recognizes the TV, but there is no signal on the TV. I'm running Windows 10. What is the deal? Is there a magic solution I'm not aware of?
Old January 30, 2017, 02:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My guess. Windows 10 on an old laptop so probably drivers.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 30, 2017, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
My guess. Windows 10 on an old laptop so probably drivers.
So are you saying I should downgrade to 7/8?
Old January 30, 2017, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would see if a driver update fixes it before a re-install it looks like that laptop came with windows 7? So that said windows 8 might be your max? You already know the cord works because you tested it with another laptop so I have to assume you know what you are doing between lappy and TV. I think it would be safe to assume if the windows 7 install doesn't work the HDMI output may be broken. The other option is using some kinda USB>HDMI option but I don't know what kinda quality usb2 is gonna offer to run HD video.

Your other option is if you have a file server already installed in the house you could always use a Chromecast instead just make sure you get the hardwired option (25 bux or so). Then you can just use your cellphone as the remote and cast it through chromecast. I use this along side plex and Netflix... it works great.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 30, 2017, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
I would see if a driver update fixes it before a re-install it looks like that laptop came with windows 7? So that said windows 8 might be your max? You already know the cord works because you tested it with another laptop so I have to assume you know what you are doing between lappy and TV. I think it would be safe to assume if the windows 7 install doesn't work the HDMI output may be broken. The other option is using some kinda USB>HDMI option but I don't know what kinda quality usb2 is gonna offer to run HD video.

Your other option is if you have a file server already installed in the house you could always use a Chromecast instead just make sure you get the hardwired option (25 bux or so). Then you can just use your cellphone as the remote and cast it through chromecast. I use this along side plex and Netflix... it works great.
Alrighty. I had a feeling that was the case considering it did come with Windows 7. I tried updating the display driver in the computer settings, but of course it says it is up to date. If I download display drivers from Asus, does it matter if I choose Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers? They obviously don't offer drivers for Windows 10.

I don't have a file server in the house unfortunately and never had much luck with chrome cast although I haven't tried wired. I would rather have a physical computer running to each TV.
Old January 30, 2017, 04:53 PM
Rookie

Have you tried dual screen and setting the resolution to the HDMI connection to the TV manually to see if the you are sending the correct resolution to the TV. Windows might not recognize the TV correctly.
Old January 30, 2017, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebd View Post
Have you tried dual screen and setting the resolution to the HDMI connection to the TV manually to see if the you are sending the correct resolution to the TV. Windows might not recognize the TV correctly.
I have not nor do I know how to do that. :D
Old January 30, 2017, 09:34 PM
Banned

So I finally got display on my TV to work with the laptop. I set the correct resolution via custom resolution in the Intel graphics settings, the picture was stretched and I'm getting blue artifacts and the pixels on the desktop wallpaper are "moving". I had to set the laptop resolution to 1024x768 for the picture to fit my TV screen. Although it fits it still looks stretched. What am I missing?
Old January 30, 2017, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds like you are mirroring the two screens instead of extended display. Nice catch on the resolution... im surprised windows didn't figure it out.

The monitor is gonna have one resolution and the tv will have a different one. Mirroring the display won't allow this I believe.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 31, 2017, 12:20 AM
Rookie

You need extended desktop. Link below on how to enable this with intel drivers.

How To Enable Extended Desktop Mode

You might also want to check now much memory is allocated to video in the bios as it is shared memory since you say you have color issues.