Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2017, 10:49 AM
Rookie

Unhappy Weird Hard Drive issue (Resolved thanks guys!)

(edit: resolved)

Recently my laptop stopped working, I know some things about computers so I took a shot at fixing it, with no luck. I can live without my laptop as I have several, but it is very important to me that I recover files that were on my laptop.

I have a seagate external hard drive, and one of the nice things about them is that you can take the hard drive out of it and use the usb attachment on other hard drives.

So I took the hard drive from my non-functioning laptop and put the usb attachment onto it and plugged it into another laptop. (an old windows Vista laptop I received as a gift)

Then I opened up computer management and went to the disk management tab.

In the disc management section it is showing the drives partitions, showing my main partition on the
non-working hard drive.
it says:

(E:)
440.03 GB RAW
Healthy (Primary Partition)

and at the top of the menu listing the volumes it says
Volume: E:
Layout : Simple
Type : Basic
File System: RAW
Capasity: 440.03 GB
Free Space: 440.03 GB
%Free: 100%
Fault Tolernce: No
Overhead: 0%

This is where things start seeming weird, I know for certain that I had about 120-60 gb worth of data on it.

when I right click this E: drive and select "explore" a Microsoft prompt pops up and says:

Microsoft Windows
You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it.
Do you want to format it.
"Giving two options" ((Format it)) and ((cancel))

So I figured, lets check out the properties, right clicked and looked at the properties to find:

Used space 0 bytes 0 bytes
Free space 0 bytes 0 bytes
Capacity 0 bytes 0 bytes

Things to note:
The Hard drive sounds fine, no weird sounds, it sounds just like new.
The computer the hard drive was in was working fine untill all of a sudden it just blacked out and turned off.
When I access the hard drive through "My computer" it allows me to open the Recovery partition and the E: drive is there, but it will not allow me to open it, saying:
You need to format the disk in drive E; before you can use it
Do you want to Format it?
(a resounding hells noo!)

I have no idea of how to fix this, and the data located on the drive is more important then all of my laptops combined,

Since it is giving me the option to format, is there a way to format it without loosing my data?
If it is registering the information on the hard drive as empty, can I even recover my data?
Could this have something to do with the current format being "RAW"

I am also slightly curious, could someone have formatted my computer to "RAW" from another source to mess with me?

I am really confused with all of this, I will be on frequently to check for help, I could take screen shots and upload them somewhere if needed, or.. i could turn on Skype and video-message with someone to show them anything they needed to see to guide me.

I really hope to solve the problem before Sunday, as my Dungeons & Dragons group would really love to have my customized visual props, music, and the customization I have created for their enjoyment

-Yours Truely
Some Ignorant Gamer...

Last edited by Daeedaru; January 5, 2017 at 08:27 PM. Reason: resolved issue
Old January 5, 2017, 10:52 AM
Rookie

Default I hope i put this in the right forum

I hope i put this in the right forum
Old January 5, 2017, 12:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You'll have to start looking into data recovery software, but there's no guarantee you'll get everything back unfortunately...

You could try a free tool such as: Free Partition Recovery Tool | MiniTool Software Solution

Most other "free" products have limits of either file size or number, but usually they let you perform a full scan to see what can be recovered so you know if it's worth buying the license or not.

I've had success with ZAR (Data Recovery Software, Solutions, Tutorials - ZAR Data Recovery) in the past.

If you only need 2GB of files, you could try this: Free Data Recovery Software Download for File Recovery - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free, otherwise you'll need to buy it.
Old January 5, 2017, 03:06 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've had success with File Scavenger: File Scavenger Data Recovery Utility - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Old January 5, 2017, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did the other laptop happen to have Intel Smart Response (with a little SSD) with the cache set to "Maximized" mode? That's one thing that I know can destroy a disk that way (it's very buggy and it ate my laptop's Windows install 3 or 4 times - that laptop was just for browsing, so I'd just reinstall Windows and start the doom counter again).

"RAW" format means that Windows doesn't recognize the file format. It's likely that enough important bits of the filesystem were destroyed such that the partition is not recognizable by Windows anymore. Data recovery is pretty much your only option.
Old January 5, 2017, 08:26 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up SUCCESS!

THANK YOU ALL! my issue is resolved (mostly) I was able to find a recovery program that worked so well that I am gong to buy the full version!
Old January 5, 2017, 08:37 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Which one?
Old February 16, 2018, 04:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
"RAW" format means that Windows doesn't recognize the file format. It's likely that enough important bits of the filesystem were destroyed such that the partition is not recognizable by Windows anymore. Data recovery is pretty much your only option

MBR was changed and confused OS

failed Raid install on a FAT, NTFS

OS original File system changed