Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2016, 01:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default HTTP based downloads Slow. Anything else is fine?

So today I was trying to grab a firmware update for my phone. It was downloading super slow @ 1mbps. I assumed it was just a bad server, and tried another site. Same speed.

So I ran a speedtest, came back fine. 60+mbps. Right where I should be. So I grab nVidias latest driver through Chrome. 1mbps...Thats strange. I check GOG and just grab anything. 1mbps. I'm thinking maybe its Chrome, and try to grab any of the same files through my NAS. They all work fine and cap out my ISP.

Now I'm thinking maybe its my PC having an issue, so I grab the firmware file I downloaded with the NAS, and it copies over at 100m/sec lickety split.

I'm REALLY stumped here at any ideas, and I have no clue when this began exactly.

OS is Win8.1
Network Realtek PCIe GBE family, driver 8.34.617.2014 but I dont suspect this is an issue due to the NAS capping out my network card/router...

Any thoughts?
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; December 2, 2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old December 2, 2016, 02:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I should probably add some more info. Steam downloads fine, and internet explorer experiences the same thing, so I think this is some kind of network protocol (HTTP based downloads?) issue with windows.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 2, 2016, 02:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Clearly something hijacked my settings.

So some google-fu landed me on something about "MTU" problems and TCP optimization. That landed me here: SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

I downloaded the program, set my ethernet to 'optimal' hit apply, rebooted, and voila. Solved.

I'm going to edit the title name in the hopes that my mass confusion will help someone else out down the road.