Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2016, 07:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Stable with 2 RAM Sticks, Error with 4 RAM Sticks

I'm trying to fix these Memtest errors and so far, it appears that my RAM may not be faulty so the problem may lie somewhere else. I've been testing the RAM since yesterday afternoon, and swapping them out individually and testing it one by one when I could. Nothing abnormal came up and I'm able to get a minimum of 2 passes. Same can be said when I run two sticks of RAM together. When I put all 4 RAM sticks together is when I get Memtest errors, usually in the 800MB range. I've tried messing with the voltage, restoring the CPU to stock specs, but nothing seems to work when I have 4 sticks of RAM together.

Specifications:
AMD Phenom II X3 720, unlocked to 940 BE @ 3.1GHz
Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H
Mushkin Redline 2X2GB PC2-8000 5-5-5-12 @ 2.0V to 2.1V (already RMA'd once)
Patriot PDC22G6400LLK - DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2V
Crucial M4 120GB SSD from at least 6 or 7 years ago (current running at SATA 1.5G speeds?!)
OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Nooctua NH-U12P

Current BIOS Settings:
CPU clock Ratio @ 3100MHz
CPU Northbridge Frequency @ 2000MHz
CPU Frequency @ 200MHz
PCI-E @ 100MHz
HT Link Width @ 16 bit
HT Link Frequency @ 2000MHz
Memory Clock @ 800Mhz @ 5-5-5-15 2T
DDR2 Voltage @ 2.000V (Tried 2.1V as well)
Northbridge Voltage @ Normal (used to be +0.1V)
SouthBridge Volt Control @ Normal
CPU NB VID Control @ 1.225V
CPU Voltage @ 1.425V
Old October 17, 2016, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

all the ram the same? did you swap out each stick while only using two at a time so that each individual stick gets tested? does it do it with 3 sticks of ram? I know sometimes like way back when I bought some ocz ram I found out through this site that I had to manually set everything in the bios and not use automatic settings cured my problem. I have the feeling it has to do with having two different sets of ram.
Old October 17, 2016, 09:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's been a while, but I do recall having to bump the voltages up a bit on several different systems when filling all of the slots.

Unfortunately I can't remember specifics, but IIRC more than just the main NB voltage as well as the HT Link used to get some lovin'.
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Screen
Old October 17, 2016, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It's been a while, but I do recall having to bump the voltages up a bit on several different systems when filling all of the slots.

Unfortunately I can't remember specifics, but IIRC more than just the main NB voltage as well as the HT Link used to get some lovin'.
+1 for this! I have run in to this a LOT. You likely have to bump the DRAM voltages a hair for a full population. In some cases, I also had to bump the NB voltage. The exact amount seems to vary from board to board and ram to ram, but it's usually just a very small amount.
Old October 17, 2016, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post

Aye.
Had the same setup back in the day, filling the slots needed move voltage across the board iirc.
Have you tried relaxing the patriots timings?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 17, 2016, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm testing the Mushkin set again, which I RMA'd before. Currently been at it for 2+ hours and I got the following results:

2 passes, 2 errors. Both errors are on Test #8.
Error Confidence Value: 236
Lowest Error Address: 00030c60ddc - 780.3MB
Highest Error Address: 00030c60ddc - 780.3MB
Bits in Error Mask: 00001000
Bits in Error - Total: 1 Min: 1 Max: 1 Avg: 1
Max Contiguous Errors: 1

Currently bumped up the VDimm to 2.1V which seems to have reduced the amount of errors I get. Northbridge voltage is at +0.1V while the CPU-NB VID Control is 1.225V

I guess I should add that my motherboard may be faulty? I noticed my SSD is running at SATA 1.5G speeds while the HDD is running at SATA 3G speeds. DVD burner and USB ports doesn't get recognized half the time either. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if taking it back and forth from London to Toronto at least 8 times in the past 4 years damaged something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
all the ram the same? did you swap out each stick while only using two at a time so that each individual stick gets tested? does it do it with 3 sticks of ram? I know sometimes like way back when I bought some ocz ram I found out through this site that I had to manually set everything in the bios and not use automatic settings cured my problem. I have the feeling it has to do with having two different sets of ram.
No. I have a set of Patriot and set of Mushkin. I thought it's possible as well but I've been running this RAM configuration for a good couple years now so I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
+1 for this! I have run in to this a LOT. You likely have to bump the DRAM voltages a hair for a full population. In some cases, I also had to bump the NB voltage. The exact amount seems to vary from board to board and ram to ram, but it's usually just a very small amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Aye.
Had the same setup back in the day, filling the slots needed move voltage across the board iirc.
Have you tried relaxing the patriots timings?.
I increased the volts but I'm not sure if they are at a safe level or not. Do you have any ideas? The new levels are as above. I've been relying on old forum posts, and Phenom II overclocking guides to see what I can do in order to get the machine stable and working 100% again but so far, no dice.

Timings are 5-5-5-15 2T. I think that's about as relaxed as it goes?

Last edited by geokilla; October 17, 2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old October 17, 2016, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will have a look out in the shop tonight, well later tonight, for my notebook, should have all my settings and notes for that era. I know I just deleted 99% of my digital notes here a month or so ago when I was cleaning old files.
IIRC I had issues with those mushkins when I got them was a sub-timing issue......... I think so many sets ago now. IIRC it was Steve that noticed said timing was off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 18, 2016, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok after some more thorough testing, it appears the Patriot RAM is fine and the Mushkin RAM may be the one that is going bad. Unfortunately there is no proof of purchase so Mushkin wants me to pay $15 USD to get a RMA set from them... I don't know why the Patriot was giving an error the first time but I switched DIMM slots as well so maybe the motherboard is dying too...
Old October 27, 2016, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I got a RMA set from Mushkin and it appears the RMA set is faulty as well. Can't even POST with the new RAM even after clearing CMOS. With the old Mushkin Redline set, I was able to at least run Memtest and do whatever I need to do with little to no errors thrown by the system. Going to test my 3 RAM kits for the last time to make sure the RAM is faulty as the Mushkin CSR believes my CPU and motherboard are fine, especially since I tested the Patriot set overnight and there was no problems. I'm using the same RAM slots too.

At the moment, I'm given two options. One is to return both Mushkin RAM kits I have now and get another Mushkin DDR2 RAM kit. The second is to return both Mushkin RAM kits and get a DDR4 997204F (Mushkin 8GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz 15-15-15-35) kit.

Edit: Been testing the Mushkin Redline set for the past 3 hours now. No more Memtest errors?! 3 passes?! What the hell is going on?!

Last edited by geokilla; October 27, 2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old October 27, 2016, 09:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What mobo are you using? Must be kinda old if is with ddr2.