Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2016, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD: SATA Port Not Running as SATA 3?

Got a Crucial M4 connected to a Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H motherboard and I just noticed the SSD might be running in SATA 3 mode. According to POST, it shows the SSD as 1.5G compatibility while the HDD is 3G compatibility. I swapped ports and cables but no luck. The BIOS is the latest beta BIOS and the firmware on the Crucial M4 is the latest one as well. I've checked the BIOS settings as well and there is no switching between SATA the different SATA standards either.
Old October 16, 2016, 12:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Run atto benchmark and see what the drive is maxing out at WRT speed with large chunks. If its in comp mode it will plateau pretty damn quick. If it is pull the drive and test in another system. IF still in comp mode, phone and RMA it as its wonky and going to fail.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 16, 2016, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That mobo does not have Sata III/6G has only sata II/3G first of all. On sata II Crucial M4 will top at around 185MB/s writing at least the 120GB version. And I assume a M4 is long out of warranty by now.
Old October 16, 2016, 02:20 PM

Depends on when it was purchased as I saw a bunch for sale as late as last year. IE never assume its OOW until its proven OOW. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 16, 2016, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Run atto benchmark and see what the drive is maxing out at WRT speed with large chunks. If its in comp mode it will plateau pretty damn quick. If it is pull the drive and test in another system. IF still in comp mode, phone and RMA it as its wonky and going to fail.
I don't think my Crucial M4 is failing. If anything, I'd say the motherboard, RAM, or CPU is going first, since I just got 3 errors in Memtest. What kind of large chunk test should I use though? I'm guessing 64MB transfer sizes and 32GB transfer lengths? I'll try running that once I am able to pass Memtest and OCCT again. I think my motherboard, RAM and CPU degraded over the past 5 or 6 years. Maybe even 7 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
That mobo does not have Sata III/6G has only sata II/3G first of all. On sata II Crucial M4 will top at around 185MB/s writing at least the 120GB version. And I assume a M4 is long out of warranty by now.
Thanks for correcting me. The SSD is only running at SATA 1.5G according to POST while the hard drive is at SATA 3G speeds. Yeah it's out of warranty so unless Crucial wants to do a goodwill exchange for me, with no receipt since I've had it for at least 5 or 6 years, then I might be out of luck.

Last edited by geokilla; October 16, 2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old October 16, 2016, 07:17 PM

Leave atto at it stock settings. see what it peaks at. Easy to figure out if its 1.5 or 3 ;)

Old October 18, 2016, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here are the results... I guess everything is fine? It looks relatively fine. The top one is my laptop, middle one is my rig that I'm concerned with, and the bottom is my desktop.
Attached Images

Old October 19, 2016, 01:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds about right.
Old October 19, 2016, 03:59 PM

Yup. Looks like in the gremlin system its running in S3 not S1.5 mode.