Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2016, 05:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default USB Devices stop functioning for a second

Hey everyone,

I've been meaning to post this months ago but it wasn't too bad until this week.

So a few months out whenever I actually obtained my MSI X99S SLI Mobo and all the other parts for the upgrade everything went smoothly. There is, however, one problem.

It seems that at random times the mouse/keyboard and sometimes even the webcam will stop responding for a second and then it'll go back to normal, the thing is though once it comes back the cursor is positioned where I wanted it to go a second ago. This might not be too bad for productivity work but for playing games... it sucks, deaths because my mouse decided to freeze for a second before doing anything.

I'm honestly not sure if it's the Mobo or the PSU the issue here, I kept the PSU from 2009 in it (XFX Black Edition 750W)

Anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue?
Old July 16, 2016, 06:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If all the USB devices glitch out at once, that's either the USB controller or one of the USB devices (+related software) going crazy to cause all the other ones to malfunction.
Before you start messing with hardware, are there any BIOS, Chipset, or USB filter drivers / updates you're missing?

Also I notice your motherboard has more than one USB controller - there's Intel USB 3.0 ports, Intel USB 2.0 ports, and depending on which of the X99 SLIs you're talking about, some third party USB 3.0 ports. Do you know which controller(s) the devices that glitch are attached to? (Usually the motherboard's manual tells you this, or the third party controller's ports are a different colour.) If the glitchy devices are all attached to the same controller, try a different controller / focus the Google-based debugging efforts on the controller that's glitching.
Old July 16, 2016, 07:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
If all the USB devices glitch out at once, that's either the USB controller or one of the USB devices (+related software) going crazy to cause all the other ones to malfunction.
Before you start messing with hardware, are there any BIOS, Chipset, or USB filter drivers / updates you're missing?

Also I notice your motherboard has more than one USB controller - there's Intel USB 3.0 ports, Intel USB 2.0 ports, and depending on which of the X99 SLIs you're talking about, some third party USB 3.0 ports. Do you know which controller(s) the devices that glitch are attached to? (Usually the motherboard's manual tells you this, or the third party controller's ports are a different colour.) If the glitchy devices are all attached to the same controller, try a different controller / focus the Google-based debugging efforts on the controller that's glitching.
I'll reinstall the USB drivers and Chipset drivers as well just to see if it'll help. If it doesn't I'll try switching ports to a different controller. I did notice that there are a few of them...

I've updated the BIOS recently.

■■Intel® X99 Express Chipset
-- 6x USB 3.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available
through the internal USB 3.0 connectors*)
-- 6x USB 2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available
through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)
■■ASMedia ASM1042AE
-- 2x USB 3.0 ports on the back panel
■■VIA VL805
-- 4x USB 3.0 ports on the back panel
* Internal JUSB1 connector supports MSI Super Charger.

As for which ports are on which controller, I did a quick glance through it but didn't found out which ports are attached to which controller so I can't really tell.
Old July 16, 2016, 10:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Didn't work the drivers reinstallation.

Switched it to the 2 USB 2.0 ports that are beside the PS/2 port. Seems to be good so far. Didn't notice any freeze ups.

You're probably right that it's a controller issue. I'll update this if ever it doesn't work again :)

Thanks for the help frontier204!
Old August 8, 2016, 03:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Odd I'm starting to get that with my Rive 4 Be under win 10 the latest win 10 usb drivers actually cause my USB headset to stop outputting sound I uninstalled them rebooted works fine now. But stuck with random issues with mouse completely turning off its the blue ports on mine that seem to cause most grief.

Last edited by Shadowarez; August 8, 2016 at 03:43 AM.
Old August 8, 2016, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
Odd I'm starting to get that with my Rive 4 Be under win 10 the latest win 10 usb drivers actually cause my USB headset to stop outputting sound I uninstalled them rebooted works fine now. But stuck with random issues with mouse completely turning off its the blue ports on mine that seem to cause most grief.

with my usb headphones had to uninstall and reinstall with admin

some times when system just goes into sleeps an try to wake it up loose audio have to restart get back sound

is fine if let it sleep

0P check your usb driver are up to date

check properties then update internet from device manager

I see N 8 is current bios

and ASMedia USB3.0/3.1 Drivers ver:1.16.33.1

Intel Chipset Driver 10.1.2.19
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; August 8, 2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old August 9, 2016, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah I'll check station drivers for updated asmedia drivers I was using a win 10 pack from overclock.net for usb. I'll post pics of a weird driver missing amd001 odd in my dev manager.