Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2016, 01:26 PM
Rookie

Default SSD randomly hanging/freezing

Have an A-data Sp 550 120 GB SSD that seems to not be working. I was planning on doing an RMA for it, but decided to see if anyone has had a similar problem before I return it.

The SSD will randomly at times while using the computer hang anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute. It basically freezes everything except the cursor until it can catch up. I have noticed 100% spikes in the disk section of task manager when I have it open. After it unfreezes everything I was doing will happen at one like mouse clicks or opening tabs like it was all in a queue.

Things I have done and checked

Made sure the SSD was in AHCI mode
Changed RAM
Reinstalled the OS (Windows 10)
Changed the Sata port and cable

Seems like the SSD is borked to me, but I thought I'd check here first in case I missed something obvious.
Old June 22, 2016, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

updated chipset drivers. hell, even backset the chipset drivers to see if an older version works better.

Motherboard BIOS update.

Run SSDLife Free to see if there are any smart errors.

From the brief description of your problem, it sounds to me like a dead or dying SSD.. and i've seen a frickin lot of them.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 22, 2016, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I had the same problem with my laptop after putting an SSD in. I am not sure what the equivalent settings are in Windows 10 but for me the problem went away by changing some power saving features...I can't remember exactly which it was, but I think it was switching to high performance or turning link state power saving off. Not positive, so I will try and check on my PC later to see if I remember.
Old July 22, 2016, 01:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Had a similar issue after migrating from an HDD to a Samsung SSD. I ended up going back to the HDD. Your Event Viewer must be full of errors.

Did you migrate or it was a fresh install?
Old July 22, 2016, 01:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Couple things.

1) Run TRIM check to make sure TRIM is actually working - freezes could be from 'emergency' nand cleaning as you are out of free 'clean' blocks that are ready to be written to.

2) Check your BIOS for thes settings and make sure they are not enabled
APM - Advanced Power Mgmt (the name varies from bios to bios)
LPM - Link Power Mgmt (the name varies from bios to bios)
DIPM - Device Initiated Power Mgmt (the name varies from bios to bios)

Not all BIOSes will have all three.. or even more than one. On most its a 'catch all' setting that you want to disable as the system wants to put the device into a lowered idle state... that the controller can not handle.

IF you do all that and it still is doing it
Try this...
AHCI Link Power Management - Enable HIPM and DIPM - Windows 7 Help Forums
and set it to 5 minutes, if it still does it... disable both as it is probably a power mgmt issue ;)

IF it still is doing it after all that time to talk to their RMA dept as its probably a bad ssd. :(

Hope that helps

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 22, 2016, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

check ssd firmware

read all info before doing a firmware update, drive not in raid format

backup all wanted data
Old August 19, 2016, 10:11 PM
Rookie

Sorry for not replying to this thread. I ended up setting the SSD problem I was having aside. I just got back to working on it yesterday and managed to solve the problem. It wasn't the SSD itself. It turned out to be the power plan which I didn't notice was set to balanced instead of performance. Soon as I changed it the freezing stopped.

Seems like this is a common problem for other Win 10 users from what I've seen in other forums. Some people manage to solve it by turning off windows notifications or disabling certain services like superfetch and windows search. This is what worked for me so hopefully this information will help anyone else that is having the same problem.