Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2016, 02:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Trying to build a gaming PC

Hi all,

So I'm, trying to build a decent mid-end gaming computer.

It's not working, it seems I have a faulty motherboard. No POST, no beeps. It won't boot, the motherboard is making a clicking sound and a led is blinking by the audio chip every several seconds. It continues to do this after I turn off and unplug the power supply for at least 20 seconds.

It's an MSI 970 Gaming motherboard.

I'm wondering if I bought the right hardware overall? I guess I should have asked before buying, but I thought I looked over it thoroughly and it all seemed to match up.

I have:

Case
DEEPCOOL TESSERACT SW Mid Tower Computer Case with Side Window and 2 Blue LED Fans SGCC+PLASTIC+RUBBER COATING - Newegg.ca

Refurbished: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready - Newegg.ca

Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 2.5" 512GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDEC512GB - Newegg.ca

MSI MSI Gaming 970 Gaming AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 and SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.ca

G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C10D-16GSR - Newegg.ca

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8350FRHKBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.ca

LG Internal 24x Super Multi with M-DISC Support SATA Model GH24NSC0B - CD / DVD Burners - Newegg.ca

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 4GB WINDFORCE 2X OC EDITION - Newegg.ca

And monitor..
BenQ XL2411Z Black 24" 144HZ 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor Height&Pivot adjustable 350 cd/m2 DC 12,000,000:1 (1000:1) - Newegg.ca

That RAM should work with motherboard, right? Specs on the board say it takes 2133(OC) RAM and I bought 2133 RAM.

I think I have to return the motherboard. Thanks for any input.
Old April 24, 2016, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

possible a bent cpu socket pin or bad PSU
Old April 24, 2016, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Part selection shouldn't be causing the issue. Did you recheck all you psu cable connections (maybe take them out and reconnect). If no luck, then maybe try taking the CPU out and check the pins (as mentioned above). Is the PSU fan spinning after you power on?
Old April 24, 2016, 11:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I installed the TX650W Corsair PSU that powers this PC I'm on now. The fans all turned on, case fans, cpu fans, and video card fans. That's all that happened. No beeps or post. The internal speaker is installed on the motherboard.

Does that mean I need to send the PSU back too?
Old April 25, 2016, 02:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

remove motherboard and try also check that clear CMOS jumper or switch is set correct
Old April 25, 2016, 10:56 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies.

I tried resetting the CMOS. It now powers up with the fans with the new 750w PSU, same result though, no POST, no beeps. I'll take a look at the CPU. I guess I'll get a new motherboard and go from there.
Old April 25, 2016, 11:23 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfed View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I tried resetting the CMOS. It now powers up with the fans with the new 750w PSU, same result though, no POST, no beeps. I'll take a look at the CPU. I guess I'll get a new motherboard and go from there.
If you can double check to make sure there is no bent pins and that the memory is properly seated.
Old April 25, 2016, 11:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I literally just talked my brother through building a computer over skype video with that exact same motherboard and CPU you chose and we ran into a similar non post issue. In our case, it turned out my brother hadn't properly seated the graphics card. In his case, the main clue the GPU was the issue, was when he powered up the computer, the GPU fans wouldn't start spinning.

This motherboard is different from most that I've seen, because it doesn't use the traditional 3-pin CMOS jumper like most motherboards. And it doesn't have a clear CMOS button either. It only has a 2-pin jumper that doesn't have a jumper on it. You're supposed to put a jumper on it in order to clear the CMOS, but the motherboard doesn't come with one. So in order to clear the CMOS if you don't have a spare jumper lying around, you're going to have to remove the battery. Remove the battery and count for 20 seconds. It won't take anywhere near 20 seconds for it to clear, I just say 20 seconds to be on the safe side. So pull the battery, count to 20 and put the battery back in. And make sure the PC is unplugged before you do this as well.

Also it's not surprising you're not getting any beep codes. Most motherboards don't come with speakers anymore unfortunately. So unless the motherboard comes with LED code displays (which this board doesn't), you'll have to rely on more observational troubleshooting methods.

You're RAM should be fine, but go ahead and uninstall them, then reinstall only one module for testing to reduce the number of possible causes. Also for future reference once you do get past POST, make sure you install the second module in the second same color RAM slot on the motherboard so you can run them in the proper dual channel mode.

Also don't worry about the 2133(OC). All RAM modules these days are set by manufacturers to run initially at lower safe clocks. This is done for compatibility purposes. Once you pass POST and can get into BIOS you can then set them to run at their rated clocks. On that board, this is done simply by going into the overclock menu and about half way down the list there's a DRAM setting where you change the setting to use the Intel XMP profile. Simply set it to use XMP and "save and reboot".

Other things to check many first time builders have been known to miss.

Make sure you've properly connected all required power connections. Make sure you didn't forget to plug in the 8-pin CPU power connection that's positioned to the top left of the CPU. You'd be surprised how many people forget to connect that one.

If the fans on the GPU are turning, then the GPU "should" be fine, but it may be wise to make sure the power leads between the GPU and PSU are fully and securely pushed in (on both ends if PSU is modular).

Double check and make sure there are no metal pieces touching devices they shouldn't be. Certain SATA cables with metal clips have been known to inadvertently touch GPU's causing shorts preventing POST. If you find this is an issue on your board, then you can easily fix this by covering the metal clips with a small piece of electrical tape. I've had this happen myself as well.

Provided you connected the case wires to the motherboard correctly, when booting and getting no POST, pay attention to the rest of the system for clues. Watch the HDD LED on the case to see if there's any activity. I'm not talking about one blip. If there is a decent amount of activity and then stops (such as because no OS is installed), this could indicate that the PC is booting past POST, but you're not getting any visual, which could indicate a video issue. Does you're monitor turn on at all. Have you tried other connection types between the GPU and your monitor such as VGA, DVI, or HDMI? Have you made sure your monitor is set to the correct input setting (many monitors these days have multiple input sources to choose from and not all of them automatically switch between active sources).

There are more things to check, but this should give you the basics to check for first.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by bignick277; April 25, 2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old April 25, 2016, 03:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks.

I removed the battery, left it awhile, and put in back in. I examined the CPU carefully, no bent pins.

Tested the GPU on this machine I'm on now, it boots up fine.

RAM was tested, each module in DIMM 1.

When I turned the power on the fans would all start, case fans, gpu fans, cpu fan, the led power button on the case would light up, and nothing would happen. I tried leaving it like that for 20 minutes, nothing. I turned it off by holding in the power button for 5 seconds or so. Connections have been thoroughly checked. All cords are going where they are supposed to be and are secure in place. Triple checked like 4 times. Really wanted this thing to work.. :)

I'm using DVI for the monitor connection. The monitor works fine, at least on this system, I'm using it now. I only have DVI and HD 15 cables.

I would have tested the PSU on my current system but it has an 8 pin connector and this motherboard needs a 4.

Sent the motherboard back for a replacement. It did come with an internal speaker which I plugged in.
Old April 25, 2016, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

then check CPU to bios version may by be that for its doing nothing just spin fans