Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2016, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Grr this is irritating I shut down my PC unplugged HDMI cable unplugged PC pushed the power button to make sure that all electricity is gone plugged PC back in fired it up the so now it shows the real tec but still know sound
Old March 27, 2016, 11:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
I'm not even gonna read any of that sorry dude. I am trying to help the OP. Measuring e-peens doesn't interest me.
Good to know. You're failing:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Yep... set the monitor as primary and the TV as secondary. Unless you have an auto detecting receiver you'll have to do the sound manually.
It's great that you know so well that that's all you need to do, and that it's such a piddly concern, but when exactly were you planning on actually telling him how and where to do that?

Quote:
You can manually set which monitor is main and secondary so I'm having trouble understanding what the issue is.
So you never bothered to tell him how to do what your suggesting and now you seem annoyed/confused because he hasn't figured it out by now? What sense is there in that. Little piece of advice. Never get a job as a teacher. At least lowfat had the good sense and courtesy to provide helpful screenshots.

Quote:
Of course you can set it via the volume icon on Taskbar. You simply right click on it and pick the option you need. You can configure your mic the same way. It's a short cut to the same options in control panel.
Again, great to know you know how to do it. But when were you going to tell him the exact option he needed to click. You are quick to point out that it's so easy to do and hell, you even knew exactly where he needed to go, but you didn't bother to tell him which option he needed to click to get the correct section and as a result, he ended up in the volume mixer. The wrong section.

This is kind of help I can't stand. People who are so in-the-know to what you need to do, so ready to tell you that that's all it is, but never bother to tell you how to actually do it.

guy-in-the-know: Yeah, that's simple. This is all it is. Easy to fix.

guy-in-the-need: OK... How do I do that? Where do I find that? .....Hello?

It's like saying, oooh oooh I know I know. It's this, but I'm not telling you how to do it. That way I'm so special for knowing and you can figure it out on your own. I'm not saying that is your intention. Nor am I saying that you are doing it on purpose. I don't assume those things of anyone. Which is why I never called you out for it before your first response. But when you take the time to criticize the help I give and the way I do it, by saying "you don't need a novel", then yes, that is going to piss me off, and yes, I am absolutely going to call you out for how I perceive your way of doing things.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But it's good to know... And that is the right attitude. You're here for the person who needs help, as am I. Remember that the next time you decide to tell other helpers (people who are here to help people in need) what information "you" care and don't care to read.

This is what I do on my spare time. I'm not paid to do it. I help when and where I can, because it's something I love doing. I like helping people in any way I can. But no, I'm not going to sit here and take being criticized how I provide that help from you when you can clearly see I don't approve of your style of help either. At least I had the sense and courtesy not to point it out to you while giving my own advice. It took you throwing my advice back in my face to start that one. This had nothing to do with e-peens. This had everything to do with courtesy and respect. Something you failed to consider.

Now I can already clearly tell that you and I are not going to agree on this, so for the sake of peace in the house, can we call it a truce and leave it at that? Let this argument die where it stands.

Last edited by bignick277; March 27, 2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old March 27, 2016, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Grr this is irritating I shut down my PC unplugged HDMI cable unplugged PC pushed the power button to make sure that all electricity is gone plugged PC back in fired it up the so now it shows the real tec but still know sound
Shadowmeph. Would you like some help via skype or steam? I can set some time aside to give you some live help if you'd like. PM me if you're interested.
Old March 27, 2016, 01:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I must've just missed you, so I'll put up some screenshots to illustrate how the default sound devices works.

Step 1: Right-click the volume/audio icon on your taskbar (courtesy of clshades)

Step 2: Select "Playback Devices"

This is the configuration screen you will get: (As you can see, I have a lot of audio devices)

Now for some important information. If you are running the sound through HDMI, then you will not be sending the sound through your realtec audio. You will be using the built in sound device for your graphics card. Look at the above images carefully. You will see several "Digital Display Audio" Devices. These are your sound devices for your graphics card and the active monitors connected to it. In other words, these are your HDMI audio listings for your monitors/Tv. They have nothing to do with realtek. Take a closer look at the monitor devices on first screenshot. You will notice 2 of them have weird names instead of saying "Digital Display Audio". These are in fact the monitors model numbers. The icons for them are also colored and not greyed out. That is signifying that they are currently connected. This will help you to see at a glance which device listing is for which monitor. If both your monitors are the exact same make and model, then you'll likely have to use trial and error, but this isn't usually the case for most people.

Now look at the Speakers listing at the top in the first screenshot (sub-heading Corsair Gaming H1500 Headset). You'll notice there's a huge green checkmark on it. That icon is what designates the current windows default audio device. As such, that is the device windows is currently using for audio. Here's how you change the windows default audio device.

Step 3: Right-click the device you want windows to send audio through and select "Set As Default Device"

And that's all there is to it:

You will notice that the green checkmark icon has moved to one of my monitors. In my case it's my main display. Now all audio by default will play through my monitor unless software like Skype and Kodi are set specifically to use a different device. You'll notice that there's still an icon on my other device, but it looks like a phone instead of a checkmark. This is because that is my headset and I have it set as my primary communications device, eg for skype etc.

So if you are specifically wanting your audio to come out your realtek speakers, you simply follow the above steps, but instead of selecting your monitor, you right click the "Speakers" sub-heading "Realtek High Definition Audio" device instead. Make sure you select the "Speakers" listing and not the "Realtek Digital Audio" or "Realtek Digital Audio (Optical) listings. Those listings are specifically for the other connections on your Realtek card such as the optical or coaxial connections on the back of your computer. Many sound cards (realtek included) have multiple ways of transmitting audio. As such, this configuration page will have listings for not only each device, but also for each of the ways each device is capable of transmitting audio. Once you understand how it works, it's actually very simple to use and gives you a lot of flexibility for using your computer audio exactly the way you want it.

Hope this helps you solve your audio issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by bignick277; March 27, 2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old March 27, 2016, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok so I booted into Linux via disjk and still no sound even though it shows the on board sound
Old March 27, 2016, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
ok so I booted into Linux via disjk and still no sound even though it shows the on board sound

best look at your motherboard manual @ sound header for some MB use jumpers for spkr output
Old March 27, 2016, 08:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
I would double check to make sure you have everything connected properly. IE, make sure you have your speakers connected via the mini stereo cable into the green audio port on the back of the computer. Also, double check and make sure your speakers don't have a mute button enabled and that the volume on the speakers themselves are at an audible level. If this still doesn't work, at least make sure your speakers are actually working properly by connecting them to something else like your cell/mobile phone and playing music to make sure they are actually working. If they still don't work even after that, then it could be a problem with the speakers themselves. If it does work on your phone, but not on the computer, then you've at least eliminated your speakers as a possible source of the issue.
Old March 27, 2016, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yo bicknick. You can **** off with your paltry flame wars. Unplug. Go outside and breathe. Nobody reads novels on forums so dial it back a bit or go back to where ever it is you came from. Again you aren't helping anyone swinging your dick around.

You are helping by trying to make me look bad? Laff. We've all been at this a long time.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 27, 2016, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I feel your pain dude. It's that Realtek software auto detect crap ruining your life trust me. ;) pm me your Addy I can lend you my audio card to verify if ya want. It's the easiest way to eliminate issues by testing with other hardware... i'll have a look for it after work.

It really sounds like you are having the same issues I was having. I gave up on it (i was at it for weeks)and installed a sound card.

On a side note... the Realtek is supposed to be good. EG you could plug a mic into any port and it was supposed to work. Sounds good in theory but it really just causes a shit ton of headaches. I hated it
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 27, 2016, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick277 View Post
Now I can already clearly tell that you and I are not going to agree on this, so for the sake of peace in the house, can we call it a truce and leave it at that? Let this argument die where it stands.
Quote:
Yo bicknick. You can **** off with your paltry flame wars. Unplug. Go outside and breathe. Nobody reads novels on forums so dial it back a bit or go back to where ever it is you came from. Again you aren't helping anyone swinging your dick around.
I guess your answer is no.

Quote:
You are helping by trying to make me look bad? Laff.
I don't need to. You seem to be perfectly capable of doing that well enough all on your lonesome.

P.S. My intention was not to flame you. It was to prove a point. You told me I was wrong. I told you I wasn't and then proved it. You then took it to the next level by criticizing me. I only returned the favor. If you can't handle that, then maybe you should choose your battles more wisely in the future. I've already tried to call a truce to bring peace back to the house, but now you want to resort offensive attacks. So I'm going to walk away from you now. I think I made my point. If you don't try to interfere with the help I give, I won't interfere with yours. That doesn't mean we can't both help the same person. Hell, the more help someone gets the better, regardless of the source. But I think you and I should avoid direct discussion between us in the future. We apparently don't get along.

Tags
dual monitor and gaming