Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2016, 08:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default HDD not Reading in OS but will in Bios ?

put some parts together for a cheapo build from left over parts

Asus P8H67-M Pro
Intel I3-2100
2x 2GB Corsair Value

anyways, i have 3 Spare HDD, 160GB SATA, 500GB SATA, 1TB SATA from Seagates, when in Bios you can see the same and size and i can choose either that or USB Key for boot

i use the USB Key to run 1st to install Win 8.1 and everything goes well until i have to select a drive where to install Windows.. and nothing shows up

any clue what's up ?

Corsair 480GB SSD / 1TB WD Black

IN WIN 303 / EVGA NEX750 Gold
Old February 25, 2016, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Format the drive.

Custom install / remove partitions / format drive.

Only have your C: drive hooked up when you install no other drives.

You may have to mount the drives on a working PC first.
Old February 25, 2016, 11:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

i couldn't do anything for the partition or formating, but i'll have to put on my main pc and format the drive and try again

Old February 26, 2016, 07:55 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Unlikely, but sounds as if your win 8.1 install media is missing SATA drivers for your chipset.
Old February 26, 2016, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Having the same issue, I'll try the given solution.
Old February 26, 2016, 06:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

weird cause i used it 2 weeks ago on a PC and it worked like every other time.. :/

Old February 29, 2016, 06:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management

When the Computer Management application starts, in the left hand column select "Disk Management". Wait for Windows to populate the list in the middle column, bottom half.

If your BIOS detects the HDD but windows doesn't, it should appear in this list. Find the HDD in this list. All you should need to do now to get access to the drive is assign it a drive letter by right clicking the entry and selecting "Change Drive Letter and Paths". You can also reformat and repartition the drive using this application. Remember this tool in windows as it is the primary disk management tool for Windows OS's, and easily one of the most useful. So take note of it for future reference.

Just be aware, that if the drive is using a non-windows format such as Linux's Ext4, then windows will not be able to mount and use that partition. It can see the drive, (it can even cause hangs when booting windows while windows can take a long to time to figure out it can't use it before giving up)., it just can't use those partitions while in windows. So if you want to use HDD's that have those partitions on them, then you will want to repartition and reformat the drive in question.

Hope this helps.
Old February 29, 2016, 07:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick277 View Post
Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management

When the Computer Management application starts, in the left hand column select "Disk Management". Wait for Windows to populate the list in the middle column, bottom half.

If your BIOS detects the HDD but windows doesn't, it should appear in this list. Find the HDD in this list. All you should need to do now to get access to the drive is assign it a drive letter by right clicking the entry and selecting "Change Drive Letter and Paths". You can also reformat and repartition the drive using this application. Remember this tool in windows as it is the primary disk management tool for Windows OS's, and easily one of the most useful. So take note of it for future reference.

Just be aware, that if the drive is using a non-windows format such as Linux's Ext4, then windows will not be able to mount and use that partition. It can see the drive, (it can even cause hangs when booting windows while windows can take a long to time to figure out it can't use it before giving up)., it just can't use those partitions while in windows. So if you want to use HDD's that have those partitions on them, then you will want to repartition and reformat the drive in question.

Hope this helps.
That would work if he had Windows already installed, re-read his post, OP is trying to install Windows and the HDD don't show during Windows installation.
Old February 29, 2016, 07:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k0 View Post
put some parts together for a cheapo build from left over parts

Asus P8H67-M Pro
Intel I3-2100
2x 2GB Corsair Value

anyways, i have 3 Spare HDD, 160GB SATA, 500GB SATA, 1TB SATA from Seagates, when in Bios you can see the same and size and i can choose either that or USB Key for boot

i use the USB Key to run 1st to install Win 8.1 and everything goes well until i have to select a drive where to install Windows.. and nothing shows up

any clue what's up ?
Try downloading the SATA drivers for that motherboard on your other PC, then copy the drivers in a folder on the USB drive that has the Windows installer.

When you're on the window to choose the drive click "load driver"

From there you should be able to browse ot the folder with the drivers and see the HDD. Good luck!
Old February 29, 2016, 10:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmir View Post
That would work if he had Windows already installed, re-read his post, OP is trying to install Windows and the HDD don't show during Windows installation.
Oops. You're right. Sorry about that. threw my back out yesterday and on strong pain killers. Got confused.