Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2015, 11:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows 10 problems ONLY on SSD

So I got my laptop with windows 10 on a hybrid HDD (I think 8 or 10GB SSD cache + 500GB disk). I was having audio issues but after messing around with the audio drivers for a while I fixed that. Well, got a Samsung EVO 850 SSD (250GB) and used their software to clone the install to the SSD.

Now my audio is back to being glitched and on top of that, when resuming from sleep/hybrid it doesn't let me enter my password for 16 seconds (don't have this problem with the HDD or when booting from a full shutdown on the SSD). The install on the HDD still has no audio issues. I re-downloaded the most recent drivers and installed them again :/

I will look into putting up a video of the noise tomorrow, but my best description is a glitchy electric noise that sounds like the signal is not getting processed correctly. It tends to happen with certain "frequencies" specifically as some audio has almost no issue and others is almost unbearable.

P.S. I'm not impressed with the EVO 850... my drive is nowhere near as good as the reviews I've read and it seems I'm not alone... Still, $100 new.

Last edited by draemn; December 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old December 29, 2015, 11:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What model of laptop? Running the latest BIOS?
Old December 29, 2015, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

its more then SSD issues I get same on desktop once in awhile like sound is lagging with a armature sound to it for a wee millisecond seems to me that buss is to small for data exchange or go optical then copper

yes update chipset drivers seemed better after doing that
Old December 30, 2015, 11:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfO3XKjAFE0 - Here's the slow login issue. Does not happen when I do a full restart/start from shutdown. Doesn't happen with the HDD as the main drive, but always happens with the SSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUhqflHNo58 - You will want to turn the volume up, since I was recording with my phone it wasn't as loud as expected. I had this audio noise issue with the HDD, but after disabling the microsoft audio driver, the problem went away... until I started running my system on the SSD. I have done a chipset re-install (nothing 100% safe mode nuke it first method) and audio driver re-install and graphics driver re-install to no luck. Actually, really weird this morning when I was using my laptop the audio issues went away 100% until I rebooted... now they're back.

My main complaint is that these two issues do not exist on the HDD install, even if I switch back to the HDD now (just change boot priority in BIOS)! I even tried cloning the SSD again and re-downloading the drivers to re-install.

I really don't know where to look next. I've tried chipset drivers, graphics drivers, audio drivers, re-cloning the HDD to the SSD, windows restore doesn't give me any helpful options.

Last edited by draemn; December 30, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old December 30, 2015, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

gremlins in the device manager via Cortana? my playback devices switching on it's own to what every default it likes
Old December 30, 2015, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
gremlins in the device manager via Cortana? my playback devices switching on it's own to what every default it likes
Well, I fully disabled the audio driver from Microsoft so it can't come back on, so that's not it. I do have issues with the start/cortana where it sometimes won't let me open any programs/click on anything after I type a search in. I have to re boot for it to work (well, haven't honestly looked for any other fix).

Edit/update: I have problem opening things like "device manager" or "disk management" but I have no problem opening things like "firefox" "control panel" from start/cortana.... and this time a simple reboot didn't fix anything.

Last edited by draemn; December 30, 2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old December 30, 2015, 05:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

How about go into Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC. That'll wipe everything out and give you a clean Windows install.
Old December 31, 2015, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

JD I'm on my 5th or 6th reset seems OS an Cortana are imbedded together for it she comes back like plague even after remove app
Old December 31, 2015, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm having some problems getting web pages to load with firefox... can't get these forums to load worth a crap but I opened the edge browser and no problem! Cortana/search is really bugged and won't let me open certain things I search for... etc... I think tomorrow if I have the time I'll try the reset, but I'm not holding my breath.

What are your thoughts on SSD with they hibernate/sleep? I know I could set it for a full shut down, but it is super convenient with a laptop to do the sleep mode.
Old December 31, 2015, 07:23 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I've yet to see a system that was totally 100% stable ALL the time after deep-sleep / hibernate resuming in any version of windows on hdd, sshd, or ssd. Hell I've yet to see any system be 100% stable all the time after 'waking up' from normal sleep....just fewer issues.

I would certainly turn off deep-sleep (it can cause issues with SSDs due to Aggressive Link Power Management that sometimes can not be fully turned off on laptops in the bios).... but I would recommend either having the system turn of the screen after 20 minutes and shut down after say 2hrs of inactivity and forget about sleep settings all together. TBH in a laptop the screen is the biggest power hog and at idle its really not much power being used by the rig to idle along (IMHO after screen its wifi that uses the most power during idle periods...and that can be tweaked too!).

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr