Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2015, 12:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Video card woes

Hey guys,

been a long time and could use some advice. Picked up Fallout 4 for my girlfriend and I thought I could help beef up her desktop to have it fun smoothly. She is currently running a Dell XPS 8500 and I thought I would Beef it up with a PowerColor HD7970 3GB GDDR5 (V3) and a Thermaltake 650 Watt 80 plus bronze Power supply. Physical installation was fine, all parts seemed to fit the proprietary Dell case.

Issues only began to arise when the unit was powered on and there would be no video displayed when the monitors were plugged in via DVI. Only after one monitor was plugged in via HDMI, was a display showing up on one screen. When attempting to install drivers directly from the ATI site, it only installs an Intel HD 4000 video driver and not the 7970 drivers and still only displays on the HDMI connected monitor and not the second DVI monitor.

After googling for a while on what the issue may be, I came across Dell threads like this:

Confirmed video card upgrades for XPS 8500 ? - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

and

XPS 8500 compatible graphic card installations and avoiding video BIOS issues - Video - Desktop - Dell Community

I have upgraded the bios to A12 and still am only getting Intel HD 4000. Is it possible that the 7970 is not compatible with the XPS 8500? the second thread doesn't show any compatible Dell OEM drivers for the 7970 but the first thread shows someone installing a sapphire r9 280x in their XPS 8500 with no issues which is essentially the same caliber card as the 7970 no?

I'm at a loss here and I really just want to get both of the monitor displays working on top of getting the proper video drivers installed so my girlfriend can fully utilize the power of the video card.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. She is running Windows 10.
Old November 18, 2015, 01:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

well man I hate to say this but that power supply is less than worthwhile. Last time I used a thermaltake it TOOK a bunch of hardware with it when it died. Never again. Gold rated and corsair or something better. You may think you are saving money but you will be really pissed off when that thing fries your entire computer. Just saying. You should know those PSU used to be (and may still be) rated by when they blew up or just under. So even though it says 650 it probably wont sustain 500w.

On the video card front you probably have to disable the onboard video either with a jumper on the board or in the bios. AMD and intel don't always play nice together.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 18, 2015, 09:47 AM
Top Prospect

Check the Device Manager and see if you have a Code 43 on the 7970. If you do, the 7970 isn't playing nice with the motherboard or something is physically wrong with the 7970.

I will agree with clshades that TT power supplies aren't all they are hyped up to be. The TR2's are to be avoided. The bigger ToughPower units that are silver rated are made by FSP, and are more reliable.
Define R5 | SuperNova 750 G2 | GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 | i5 4690K @ 4.6 GHz | Nepton 240M | 16GB HyperX PC3-12800 | GTX 780 SC ACX | ALC 1150 with XB3 Software | HyperX Fury 240GB | Seagate 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Antec 300 | ToughPower 700W | GA-Z77X-UD3H | i5 3450 | Hyper T4 | 8GB PC3-10600 | X25-V 40GB | Seagate 3TB 7200.14 | WDC Blue 3TB | Seagate 2TB 7200.14 | Server 2012 R2 Standard
HP Elitebook 8470p | i5-3210M | 8GB PC3-10600 | HD4000 | PNY CS1211 240GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Old November 18, 2015, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
On the video card front you probably have to disable the onboard video either with a jumper on the board or in the bios. AMD and intel don't always play nice together.
I ran into the Same issue this past week with my 4690K. If the onboard GPU was enabled via BIOS it would boot but just into a blank screen and the display would be "off" somewhere else(I could move my mouse but it would scale way off to the left side like my desktop was extended).
Sometimes I would get into Windows and could see my desktop but whenever I opened any programs they would open offscreen as if I had another monitor hooked up.

Disabling the Onboard GPU solved my problem.

In regards to Drivers - if you are trying the auto-detect function on the website I found that sometimes it would give me the wrong drivers.

Try this link

Desktop

(provided you are running Win 7 64-bit)
(Your card is specified in the supported products list for this driver).

Good Luck!
-J
Old November 18, 2015, 10:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
well man I hate to say this but that power supply is less than worthwhile. Last time I used a thermaltake it TOOK a bunch of hardware with it when it died. Never again. Gold rated and corsair or something better. You may think you are saving money but you will be really pissed off when that thing fries your entire computer. Just saying. You should know those PSU used to be (and may still be) rated by when they blew up or just under. So even though it says 650 it probably wont sustain 500w.

I'll agree that TT isn't the greatest. Keep in mind I didn't buy it specifically for her computer. I had them lying around from when I was mining with antminer s1s. Its not a TR2 (I have 3 of those laying around at home) but a thermaltake smart 650W. ITs not much better but it was better than the proprietary 460W PS that came with the XPS 8500. Nonetheless, you are not wrong about getting a more reliable one. However it is not the issue (yet)

@helios79 , in device manager the 7970 doesn't even show up under display. Instead it just shows Intel HD 4000.

I will attempt disabling onboard GPU tonight. will have to do it over video call since GF lives in Florida.. that will be fun lol.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old November 18, 2015, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad5ter View Post
I'll agree that TT isn't the greatest. Keep in mind I didn't buy it specifically for her computer. I had them lying around from when I was mining with antminer s1s. Its not a TR2 (I have 3 of those laying around at home) but a thermaltake smart 650W. ITs not much better but it was better than the proprietary 460W PS that came with the XPS 8500. Nonetheless, you are not wrong about getting a more reliable one. However it is not the issue (yet)

@helios79 , in device manager the 7970 doesn't even show up under display. Instead it just shows Intel HD 4000.

I will attempt disabling onboard GPU tonight. will have to do it over video call since GF lives in Florida.. that will be fun lol.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
On some Dell's, you can turn the iGPU off and some you cannot. If the 7970 still fails to work, I would say that the VBIOS isn't compatible with the Dell BIOS.
Define R5 | SuperNova 750 G2 | GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 | i5 4690K @ 4.6 GHz | Nepton 240M | 16GB HyperX PC3-12800 | GTX 780 SC ACX | ALC 1150 with XB3 Software | HyperX Fury 240GB | Seagate 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Antec 300 | ToughPower 700W | GA-Z77X-UD3H | i5 3450 | Hyper T4 | 8GB PC3-10600 | X25-V 40GB | Seagate 3TB 7200.14 | WDC Blue 3TB | Seagate 2TB 7200.14 | Server 2012 R2 Standard
HP Elitebook 8470p | i5-3210M | 8GB PC3-10600 | HD4000 | PNY CS1211 240GB | Windows 10 Pro x64

Last edited by Helios79; November 18, 2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old November 18, 2015, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

good luck with the video call bud. My relationship has barely survived a couple of those "service" calls lol...
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 27, 2015, 02:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just wanted to give everyone an update.. No dice on the BIOS. from reading other posts, the XPS 8500 only supports a handful of Gfx cards, the 7970 is not one of them.... Ah well. Its what you get for trying to be nice to get a machine working for your GF to play Fallout 4.

Thanks for the suggestions and input from everyone
Old November 27, 2015, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sorry to hear that
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Tags
bios , dell , no display , videocard