Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2015, 10:53 AM
Rookie

Default Intel NUC not detecting SSD anymore

Hi there,

I purchased an NUC INTEL and install an BX100 SSD. All was fine, I installed Windows 8.1.
Then, following a bunch of windows updates, the SSD is now not detected, even in the BIOS.
I tried to downgrade/upgrade the bios, but still the same problem.

I put the SSD as a slave in another desktop, and it is detected fine so i dont think the SSD is the issue.
Not sure why would a hardware problem (SATA controller ?) happen following a window update

Should I just RMA the unit to INTEL or anything else I should try ?
Old November 15, 2015, 11:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You mentioned all of the troubleshooting steps but one.... did you test the hard drive from the desktop you slaved the SSD into on the NUC to see if it shows up in bios?

edit: Worth trying the known good Sata cable from the desktop in the NUC as well.
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Screen
Old November 15, 2015, 11:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
You mentioned all of the troubleshooting steps but one.... did you test the hard drive from the desktop you slaved the SSD into on the NUC to see if it shows up in bios?

edit: Worth trying the known good Sata cable from the desktop in the NUC as well.

- I tried 2 other SSD (a Corsair and another CRUCIAL): same issue.

- when I try to boot the SSD (that was orginally working in my NUC) on my destop, it doesnt start, but I guess it's normal since windows was installed from the NUC.

- I will try to power the drive from my desktop and use a different SATA cable to see if the NUC bios can pick it up.
Old November 15, 2015, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

other thing to check is in bios ...... it may be turned off at boot making it not there

also check your motherboard bios version is up to date Note: some manufactors use same model name but different hardware with Revisions of MB, so
make sure you get correct bios otherwise will make it DOA after flash

read your MB manual on update bios
Old November 15, 2015, 12:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Heyyo,

Hmm, what mode is your SATA controllers in? IDE? RAID? AHCI? There could be two different SATA controllers so check the whole thing over please. I tend to run mine in AHCI as it tends to be the most compatible with any OS and motherboard I've tried. I haven't bothered with hardware RAID in a while too I guess... but yeah, if the mode your controller is in changed? It'll cause problems with partition detection or in some BIOSes? They won't show as detected from the BIOS screen itself and only the secondary controller's screen.
Old November 15, 2015, 01:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_MarD View Post
Heyyo,

Hmm, what mode is your SATA controllers in? IDE? RAID? AHCI? There could be two different SATA controllers so check the whole thing over please. I tend to run mine in AHCI as it tends to be the most compatible with any OS and motherboard I've tried. I haven't bothered with hardware RAID in a while too I guess... but yeah, if the mode your controller is in changed? It'll cause problems with partition detection or in some BIOSes? They won't show as detected from the BIOS screen itself and only the secondary controller's screen.

AHCI (no IDE iption on the NUC).

I tried to put in RAID just to see, but no luck.

I also tried with the SSD powered from my desktop and with a different SATA cable, still not detected.
Really weird.
Old November 15, 2015, 01:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
other thing to check is in bios ...... it may be turned off at boot making it not there

also check your motherboard bios version is up to date Note: some manufactors use same model name but different hardware with Revisions of MB, so
make sure you get correct bios otherwise will make it DOA after flash

read your MB manual on update bios
Not sure what you mean by "turned off at boot". There is an option to increase the delay for detecting the SSD, but that didnt help.

I did Upgrade and downgrade the BIOS.....still no effect
Old November 15, 2015, 01:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well... if the NUC isn't recognising any SSD or HDD in bios then it's pretty much down to either the MB sata ports or sata power from the NUC itself. How are the power cables on that set up? Is there any way they could have come loose?

Other than that... if bios won't recognise any known good drive and you're ruled out power then it's probably RMA time,
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Screen
Old November 15, 2015, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

agree with SS RMA time