Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2015, 05:29 PM
Rookie

Default PC occasionally hangs on mother splash screen

Hey guys,

Started to have this issue where when I try to boot my PC, it would get stuck at the Asus splash screen. It would boot normally if I restart the PC using the power button. Any ideas? I have a maximus vii hero.

Thanks in advance!
Old November 12, 2015, 05:41 PM
MVP
F@H

The board has and debug leds that indicate if you have a problem with cpu, gpu, ram and boot device. Also have the main POST code led which indicate the current state of the motherboard. Check those while posting and booting.
Old November 12, 2015, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

check your cmos battery
Old November 12, 2015, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is it updated to the latest bios?
Old November 14, 2015, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The led bios code will have reference to your manual. Next time it hangs check code against the manual.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 14, 2015, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Tried unplugging all USB devices? My ASUS X99 Deluxe hates my memory card reader.
Old November 15, 2015, 12:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

What is your full PC specification. Please include all peripherals, PCI cards, ROMS, Expansions etc. Everything. Also when did the problem start and what are the sequence of events for the issue. I once had an issue with my PC that after much troubleshooting turned out to be my PCI SATA Controller expansion card. Basically, what happened with me was that my SATA card used the exact same controller chip that my motherboard used for it's on board SATA controller. Same exact chip and model number, which because they were exactly identical, they both used the same resources and interrupt requests. As a result, they conflicted with each other and caused frequent random hangs and computer crashes. Once I removed the card, the problem went away. I'm not in any way claiming this is your problem, but if you want good help and advice from the good people here, you're going to need to provide as much information as possible as to the exact specification and configuration of your computer and the sequence of events. Otherwise, all your going to get is best guesses at what to try and look at for possibilities. For the meantime though, I do recommend following Zoob's advice as USB devices have a long history with causing many surprisingly unexpected issues on some motherboards.
Old November 15, 2015, 02:10 PM
Rookie

Hey people. Appreciate the feedback. I will check out the error LED next time it hangs! I had no USB devices connected besides my keyboard and mouse.

@MARSTG I have a Maximum VII Hero and no I did not update the BIOS.

@Bignick277 Here's the full specification:

CPU: 4790k Overclocked to 4.6. I do not think its my overclock since I've stressed tested it and the problem occurs when not overclocked
Mobo: Maximus VII Hero
RAM: Avexir 1600mhz 8g
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500g
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850w
GPU: Asus gtx 970 Strix

Don't have any expansion cards at all. As for the peripherals, only a k70 vengenace and a corsair Scimitar mmo mouse.
Old November 15, 2015, 05:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow, I find that very surprising that you seem to be running a gaming build there, but only a single 500GB SSD drive. This still isn't a lot to go on, but I could give you some areas to look. As far as your PSU, that's a really good PSU, I have one of those myself on my server and know off hand that that PSU is easily more than enough for your build, so the PSU is pretty low on my list of possibilities. That doesn't mean it's impossible (because insufficient power supply can cause lockups on BIOS splash, I've seen it happen before), only that it's likelyhood is pretty low in this scenario.

For some background information, because you've specifically stated that it happens at BIOS splash, this makes the Windows install being a possible cause not possible because the Windows installs aren't looked for nor loaded until several stages past the BIOS splash. During the BIOS splash is when the motherboard detects, utilizes and checks the integrity of connected hardware. If an error or issue occurs during the stage, the next stage can be prevented from proceeding. One of the things I really wish they hadn't got rid of was BIOS speakers. The beep codes of old were too useful to just throw away. As a result, asking for beep codes is now pretty much redundant to bother with these days. Which is why no ones asked you yet. Anyway, enough with my grumbling, sorry about that.

During the BIOS splash screen, several of the hardware that's checked are the CPU, Memory(RAM), GPU, and Hard Drives. Due to your assertion that you've run your computer both overclocked and stock settings and the issue is present in both cases, I do not think the CPU is likely to be a possible cause. This leaves the GPU, Memory and Hard Drive. So here's the things to check for each possible case.

GPU:

There are only 2 things I've seen for GPU's (other than a faulty unit) that can cause this particular issue.

1: Check the power connections to the GPU and ensure they are plugged in fully and securely. A loose connection could cause random failures that could cause this very scenario.

2: This one is a bit more surprising, but I have seen it happen in my system and took me a month to solve it. If your GPU is mounted as it should be, but the length of the card extends to where it resides over the SATA cables, make sure your SATA cables are the type that use entirely plastic housings. If your SATA cables have metal clips for locking them in place in the SATA connections of the motherboard (these types of cables are more common than you would expect), those metal clips, if too close or touch the GPU, can cause a short causing this issue. Sometimes not even making it to Splash, let alone past. I had this exact issue on my system where SATA cables with metal clips were causing shorts to my GPU and would lock up my PC on boot. Because I didn't have spare cables at the time, I was able to fix this issue by simply putting a strip of electrical tape across the SATA cable clips to insulate them from conducting any current. This resolved the issue for me and haven't had an issue like this since.

Memory:

Faulty or incorrectly configured memory can cause this issue as well.

What are your settings for your memory modules. Are you using custom settings, default compatibility settings or intel performance profile settings for your memory. If you are running custom settings, I would recommend using either compatibility or intel profile and see if the issue continues.

Also, in any case, you should run a full memtest86+ test ran from a bootable USB flast drive to check the stability of your memory modules. If you don't get any errors, wait until the issue happens again and then immediately run the tests by plugging in the USB and rebooting until you get past splash. For reference, you should let MemTest keep running until it completes a full pass at the very least or until you get errors. If you get errors, the next step is to figure out if the errors are caused by memory configuration or faulty modules. This can take time and patience, but it's worth it. You'd be surprised how many PC issues can be narrowed down to faulty or incorrectly configured RAM modules.

SSD:

This is a possibility, but it's the hardest to troubleshoot due to the lack of options for testing. The Hard Drive utilities pretty much only test the drive itself (and only from within Windows), but worth running. But they don't really test the compatibility between the hard drive and the motherboard. The only way to test if it's a compatibility issue between the drive and the motherboard (at least, as far as I'm aware of) is to update your motherboard firmware and see if issue goes away.

---------------------------

For the meantime, or at least until you can isolate the cause of this issue and to limit the number possible complications during testing. I would recommend you run your PC at stock CPU speeds (no overclocking) until you can positively identify the cause of the issue. I hope this helps you to begin troubleshooting, where to look and what to test. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by bignick277; November 15, 2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old November 15, 2015, 06:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick277 View Post
Wow, I find that very surprising that you seem to be running a gaming build there, but only a single 500GB SSD drive. This still isn't a lot to go on, but I could give you some areas to look. As far as your PSU, that's a really good PSU, I have one of those myself on my server and know off hand that that PSU is easily more than enough for your build, so the PSU is pretty low on my list of possibilities. That doesn't mean it's impossible (because insufficient power supply can cause lockups on BIOS splash, I've seen it happen before), only that it's likelyhood is pretty low in this scenario.

For some background information, because you've specifically stated that it happens at BIOS splash, this makes the Windows install being a possible cause not possible because the Windows installs aren't looked for nor loaded until several stages past the BIOS splash. During the BIOS splash is when the motherboard detects, utilizes and checks the integrity of connected hardware. If an error or issue occurs during the stage, the next stage can be prevented from proceeding. One of the things I really wish they hadn't got rid of was BIOS speakers. The beep codes of old were too useful to just throw away. As a result, asking for beep codes is now pretty much redundant to bother with these days. Which is why no ones asked you yet. Anyway, enough with my grumbling, sorry about that.

During the BIOS splash screen, several of the hardware that's checked are the CPU, Memory(RAM), GPU, and Hard Drives. Due to your assertion that you've run your computer both overclocked and stock settings and the issue is present in both cases, I do not think the CPU is likely to be a possible cause. This leaves the GPU, Memory and Hard Drive. So here's the things to check for each possible case.

GPU:

There are only 2 things I've seen for GPU's (other than a faulty unit) that can cause this particular issue.

1: Check the power connections to the GPU and ensure they are plugged in fully and securely. A loose connection could cause random failures that could cause this very scenario.

2: This one is a bit more surprising, but I have seen it happen in my system and took me a month to solve it. If your GPU is mounted as it should be, but the length of the card extends to where it resides over the SATA cables, make sure your SATA cables are the type that use entirely plastic housings. If your SATA cables have metal clips for locking them in place in the SATA connections of the motherboard (these types of cables are more common than you would expect), those metal clips, if too close or touch the GPU, can cause a short causing this issue. Sometimes not even making it to Splash, let alone past. I had this exact issue on my system where SATA cables with metal clips were causing shorts to my GPU and would lock up my PC on boot. Because I didn't have spare cables at the time, I was able to fix this issue by simply putting a strip of electrical tape across the SATA cable clips to insulate them from conducting any current. This resolved the issue for me and haven't had an issue like this since.

Memory:

Faulty or incorrectly configured memory can cause this issue as well.

What are your settings for your memory modules. Are you using custom settings, default compatibility settings or intel performance profile settings for your memory. If you are running custom settings, I would recommend using either compatibility or intel profile and see if the issue continues.

Also, in any case, you should run a full memtest86+ test ran from a bootable USB flast drive to check the stability of your memory modules. If you don't get any errors, wait until the issue happens again and then immediately run the tests by plugging in the USB and rebooting until you get past splash. For reference, you should let MemTest keep running until it completes a full pass at the very least or until you get errors. If you get errors, the next step is to figure out if the errors are caused by memory configuration or faulty modules. This can take time and patience, but it's worth it. You'd be surprised how many PC issues can be narrowed down to faulty or incorrectly configured RAM modules.

SSD:

This is a possibility, but it's the hardest to troubleshoot due to the lack of options for testing. The Hard Drive utilities pretty much only test the drive itself (and only from within Windows), but worth running. But they don't really test the compatibility between the hard drive and the motherboard. The only way to test if it's a compatibility issue between the drive and the motherboard (at least, as far as I'm aware of) is to update your motherboard firmware and see if issue goes away.

---------------------------

For the meantime, or at least until you can isolate the cause of this issue and to limit the number possible complications during testing. I would recommend you run your PC at stock CPU speeds (no overclocking) until you can positively identify the cause of the issue. I hope this helps you to begin troubleshooting, where to look and what to test. Let us know how you get on.
WoW, really appreciate the information, very thorough and in-depth. I will begin looking into that. And yeah, I don't play lot of games so a 500G SSD should suffice now haha.

I remember I started having this issue after purchasing my new mouse. A little search showed me that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. Corsair forum Mod have confirmed that certain BIOS could cause the issues with their new RGB series of product. I will see if I can fix it with their temporary solution before I start digging into the hardware.

I really appreciate it! Thank you very much! I'll keep you posted!