Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2015, 03:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Major question about Intel BP67BG motherboard's PCI-E 16x capabilities

Hello guys!

Maybe a few of you can help me sort a bit of a problem I am having with my motherboard. I use an Intel DP67BG motherboard. The board comes with two PCI-E 16x slots, which, when used with two GPUs in SLI config, run at 8x each. The primary PCI-E 16x slot died on me a few days ago and I switched my newly purchased MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming gfx card to the secondary PCI-E 16x slot so I could continue using the MB until I can afford a new one. As far as I understand from the documentation that came with the motherboard, each of the two PCI-E 16x lanes run at 16x when when used individually and at 8x when used in a dual-GPU setup. Yet, for some reason, GPU-Z says that the secondary PCI-E x16 lane I am currently using is running at only 8x, not 16x. Could there something wrong with the way my motherboard is detecting this single GPU in the secondary PCI-E 16x port or could this be an issue with the card itself? or am I just ignorant about how PCI-E works in this particular motherboard? I would appreciate some insights into this situation from knowledgeable folks that might know more about this than I do.

Thanks!

Last edited by sankukai; February 8, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old February 8, 2015, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you really notice any difference between 8 and 16?
also the broken x16 slot look to make sure that all the metal connections inside the slot ( I forgot the proper name of it) are straight and not bent .
Old February 8, 2015, 04:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Do you really notice any difference between 8 and 16?
also the broken x16 slot look to make sure that all the metal connections inside the slot ( I forgot the proper name of it) are straight and not bent .

Thanks so much for your prompt reply!! In regards to the possible broken connectors, my hunch is that they are not broken but that a part or the whole circuitry coming in/out of the primary PCI-E port is damaged in some way. In regards to the 8x vs 16x, I would think that games, specially the more recent ones which are huge in size, run better with a PCI-E port running with all 16x lanes fully enabled. Is this not the case?
Old February 9, 2015, 06:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Acording to LinusTechTips and TechPowerUp it shouldn't really be noticable.

worst case it is about a 10% hit to performance but on average it is only a 1% hit to a GTX 980.

It is pretty common that only the first slot will operate in 16x mode when it is the only slot populated.
Old February 9, 2015, 08:35 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

When you plug anything (PCIex16/x8/x4/x2/x1 GPU/NIC/Sound cards) in the second PCIe x 16 on 'consumer' SLI/CrossFire boards it will split the primary x16 lane in half to serve both primary and secondary in x8 mode each.

Also, if you look at the second PCIe lane, there is only enough pins for x8.
*Information in the manual.