Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2014, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Network Map drive Slowdown?

Anyone Experience mapped drives from a wired server slowing by 2-3 seconds a week? From instant access to 2-3 per folder in shared drive.

Rig in Question is a Acer M3970 which I loaded with 26gb of Mushkin Blacklist ram. It has a i3 Quad core running 3.2ghz.

The main boot drive is a Samsung 850 Pro 128gb the other drives in server is 3 Wd Red 3Tb.

When I first set the server up I installed windows 8.1 Enterprise. Installed chipped video and magian for rapid. The drives are about 75% full videos pics backups. But I spanned them together instead of raiding them.

For over a month I had zero delay in getting to shares instantly now it's beginning to slow down to a point it needs to wait 2-5 seconds before it opens a folder which right now isn't a big deal what I'm worried about is if I can't find cause of slowdown how much more will it slip at accessing the shares.

Iv done some searching and it's one of 3 things indexing is not working or somehow the prob. A bad network cable. Or my $279 Asus Router is slowly dying. I'm considering replacing all cat 5 email cables with cat 6 to give better bandwidth throughoutput.

Last edited by Shadowarez; November 10, 2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old November 10, 2014, 06:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, definitely sounds like a network issue. Maybe DNS?

If you ping the hostname of your server from your desktop, what's the response like? <1ms?

And I presume you've rebooted everything?
Old November 10, 2014, 07:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh yeah even wiped drives and copied from back up. It worked fine for lil over 8 days then started crawling to 1-2-3-4-5 seconds to access any folder within shares.
Old December 16, 2014, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Found issue its weird but it seems connecting to shares with a account I setup on htpc was issue I let windows default for shares speeds back to 110-125 mb transfers.