Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2014, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default CPU fan starts, Gpu fan stops, blank screen

Hey guys. My PC stopped working. Was fine last night. Went to turn it on this morning and nothing.

The gpu card fans start spinning for a second then stops. The cpu fan starts and stays running but nothing displaying on the monitor. I should also add that it does not reach the RPM it used to when it booted normally. I'm on a APU so I tried putting DVI directly to the motherboard for onboard graphics and nothing again. PSU fan spins.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Old October 14, 2014, 10:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Cmos reset? Cable check? Card reseating? CPU reseat?

Sounds like it's not completing the initial post so it's down to power / hardware.
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Screen
Old October 14, 2014, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cheers Wilson!

I did check all cables and reseated the card, also gave a good blow with the duster.

Did no cpu reseat as it didn't even cross my mind that it could help. Have not Cmos reset either.

I'm wondering if it's either the mobo or cpu possibly?
Old October 14, 2014, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Reset cmos and nothing. :(
Old October 14, 2014, 11:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately it could be almost anything motherboard, CPU, memory, or power related. Did you try a single stick of memory in different slots?
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Screen
Old October 14, 2014, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Unfortunately it could be almost anything motherboard, CPU, memory, or power related. Did you try a single stick of memory in different slots?

Bummer. I have not tried single sticks of memory. Will do that.

I'd like to think it's not the power supply as I'm running a APU and 7770 on a silverstone 600w for less than a year but I guess it's always possible. But since the fans are spinning wouldn't that say it's not the psu?

Thinking I will go buy another motherboard to try. If that doesn't fix I'll try another cpu.
Old October 14, 2014, 11:28 AM
MVP

I have seen a bad brand new out of the box PS do this. Fans power up ...then nothing more. If not PS ...I would then be thinking MB.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old October 14, 2014, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok will buy PSU first, then return if that isn't the problem and buy MB. IF that fails then I will have to buy new cpu also.

Cheers Wilson and LionRed. I'll report back later.
Old October 14, 2014, 12:43 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Ok will buy PSU first, then return if that isn't the problem and buy MB. IF that fails then I will have to buy new cpu also.

Cheers Wilson and LionRed. I'll report back later.
There is so more you could do/check out before spending some money.

You could try taking the MB out and power it up on the table. When trying the onboard video - make sure you removed the GPU card.

Take ram out and (when powering up) hear if computer beeps (as I like to say - complains about it). Also, remove any hard drives. Basically stripping the MB down to as little connected to it as possible (leave cpu in though).

As Wilson suggested...try resetting the cpu (take out and put back in). I have experienced a MB have trouble detecting a cpu (usually after just having put one in....kinda odd if system has been working though).

Try the suspect PS in another computer (if you have one).

Good Luck!

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old October 14, 2014, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
There is so more you could do/check out before spending some money.

You could try taking the MB out and power it up on the table. When trying the onboard video - make sure you removed the GPU card.

Take ram out and (when powering up) hear if computer beeps (as I like to say - complains about it). Also, remove any hard drives. Basically stripping the MB down to as little connected to it as possible (leave cpu in though).

As Wilson suggested...try resetting the cpu (take out and put back in). I have experienced a MB have trouble detecting a cpu (usually after just having put one in....kinda odd if system has been working though).

Try the suspect PS in another computer (if you have one).

Good Luck!
I really can't see it being the cpu as it has been seated for several months with no problem. I haven't touched it since either. No overclock either. I guess I could try though and it wouldn't hurt to look at the pins. The gpu was removed when trying the apu graphics.

I tried unplugging my SSD and hopefully booting into the bios but no post. Also forgot to mention I tried each memory stick singly in each slot with no success.

I find it very odd that the cpu fan turns on and stays on but at a low RPM. Normally it would ramp up to max RPM for the first few seconds and then settle at a nice pace. Spending the money is no problem as psu and mobo can be returned, and if it fixes the problem it needed to be spent anyways. APU not so sure about.

I'm really hoping it's simply the psu.

As always, the response is much appreciated.